Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kershaw Spec Blur was stolen a while back so I've been looking for a new EDC. Loved the spec (my favorite knife ever, but it was discontinued so bleh) so I decided to stick with Kershaw. Wound up picking the ZT 0350.

The good:
The S30V metal is quite strong, everyone has their preferences I guess but imho it's a good balance between strength and holding a fine edge. I've already put my own edge on the knife and it's quite sharp.

The weight and thickness is VERY NICE, only about 5oz and about 0.5in. This makes it a great EDC for someone like me who dresses business casual and is annoyed by weighty things in my pockets. Also the thickness makes it disappear in a pocket compared to some other blades if you're concerned with concealment.

The G-10 grip is good, doesn't even slip with wet hands The shape is also nice and fits well in my palm when using the knife.

As you'd expect from any quality knife the fit and finish are excellent, nothing loose at all. I haven't done any *serious* work with it but with the frame lock engaged it "feels" (for what that's worth) as strong as a fixed blade, no play at all, even when putting considerable force on it while messing with it.

The bleh:
I usually like thumb studs on my knives but on this particular knife the thumb stud is useless (to me). It's too close to the frame, so I can't get my thumb into the frame in order to open the knife... Perhaps if I adjust the screw thing to loosen up the blade it will become useful, I'm hesitant to do that though.

The knife is "deep?" The frame is over an inch deep, plus the blade sticks out from that when folded. I imagine this is used to balance out the fact that the frame is thin, allowing ZT to still retain a nice ergonomic grip.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Thanks for the review. I have been very seriously considering a full size ZT folder.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I own a zt0350 and used to have a zt0301. ZT makes some truly remarkable knives for the price. Also, the zt0350 is not a frame lock, it's a liner lock. And the thumb studs really arent meant to be used since it's spring assisted. In addition to the ball detent the torsion bar actually keeps force on the blade to keep it closed. It's primarily meant for just the flipper. The thumb studs act as the pivot stop pins and also from closing too far. But, for what it's worth I occasionally remove the spring from mine because I like the way it feels in manual mode. Opens extremely easy using the thumb studs without a torsion bar in it, even with the pivot adjusted to no blade play at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts