Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Added night sights and new wood

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ak-47-talk/185985-yugo-m70ab2-2.html#post3072946

Traded my Draco (sorely missed) for a Yugo M70AB2. This was built (or contracted) by Century Arms. Fit and finish is above and beyond any Century AKs I've seen (except for the Polish 1960 milled AK). The receiver is built on a DC Industries 1.5mm receiver. Standard AKs are 1mm thick - so it's heavier. The underfolder mechanism is tight and locks positively with no wobble. Action is very smooth.

One surprise that I had are the night sights. Yes, an AK with night sights. The tritium are long dead, so I reamed them out and planning to replace them. I've seen some ads online that sells the size that I need for $11 each. I need three - 2 in the rear, 1 in the front.

Here's a couple of pics showing the sights and the holes where the tritium goes in.

Rear Sight

Front Sight

Tritium Vials I'm planning to get

No, I don't think they are Trijicons. But the seller is from posting this ad on this site:

For Sale: Tritium Vials

More to come on this soon.

I also added a Primary Weapons System FSC47 muzzle brake - awesome brake. I was shooting one hand and no muzzle rise, no twist. The recoil goes straight back to my shoulders. My setup is such that the rifle is sitting on top of the sandbag and me holding on the pistol grip. I did that same setup on both my Draco and Polish using slant brakes and both had noticeable rise and to the left recoil action.

After a good cleaning and inspection, I took it to the range today and was very pleased with how it performed. The bolt hold mag works like charm. Works on all the mags that I had and fit is very solid. As with any new gun, first order of business is sight in. I only used iron sights for this trip. I'm planning to keep this in stock configuration. I shot about 20 rounds at 25 yards. Shoots a bit to the right. I made some windage adjustments at 50 yards and got it close enough so I can center on target using the right edge of the front sight. My Polish AK is setup the same way so I was pleased and kept it as is.

25 Yards, 20 Rounds

After some warm-up at the 25 and 50 yard range, I proceeded to the 100 yard range.

Here are the results

The 3 shot group on the 2nd target was 3 consecutive shots spaced about 2 seconds apart. Follow-up shots were much easier as there was no muzzle rise. Firm grip, shoulders lock and kept on shooting.

More pics

In the bag

That's all folks!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
congtratz on your yugo underfolder,that was my first ak and i was really please with the accuracy on a century gun.
What's up neighbor? I recon you sold/traded yours for something better, like that nice, um, picture on your avatar (not the gun). :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They don't really build much of anything from what I read, they just use parts kits and cobble it back together?
Well, I do know that their Draco is imported straight from the Romarm/Cugir factory - no modifications. Romarm spot welds the muzzle nut, but easily removed.

I have a couple of Century stamped AKs - Polish 1960 Milled and this Yugo - and from what I understand, these were contracted out to a US-based builder based on the original parts kits. Century just adds their name. As expected, numbers don't match but at least for these 2 rifles, fitting and finish is better, even better than the Draco.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well, I do know that their Draco is imported straight from the Romarm/Cugir factory - no modifications. Romarm spot welds the muzzle nut, but easily removed.

I have a couple of Century stamped AKs - Polish 1960 Milled and this Yugo - and from what I understand, these were contracted out to a US-based builder based on the original parts kits. Century just adds their name. As expected, numbers don't match but at least for these 2 rifles, fitting and finish is better, even better than the Draco.
Thank you. That's good to know.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tritium vials arrived today and promptly installed them on the Yugo. Fits perfectly! I also replace the plastic guards with some real Yugo wood. Night sights are bright and amazed at how much it glows in the dark, much brighter than some of my pistol night sights.

Some pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.