Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been viewing these forums for a long time. It's good stuff for those in the market.
I'm 23, just out of college. And after several months of wringing my hands over HK, Sig, and Springfield as my first gun, yesterday I just took a deep breath and threw down 465 for a 9mm tactical XD.
(I've been a little anal retentive about researching gun options, so when the time came, it put butterflies in my stomach.) Pretty exciting feeling though.
It's going to be a LOOOONG week or two before I can pick it up.

Cant wait till I can post a range report and a pic or two. (not like you haven't seen one before :D )

So thanks again to all the helpful people here! Keep posting!

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Welcome to the gun nut club. Any ? you might have?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Dont be nervous obout your decision, Tupperware is tupperware, The Glocks and H&K's are over rated, Yes I said it OVER RATED, Why pay close to a grand for a H&K and $50 or more per magazine, their frames dont cost any more to make than our XD's They like all H&K designs are way over engineered and more complex than they need to be for a combat handgun. The only thing I'd like to see on a XD that isnt there is a thumb safety.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I know it is personal opinion, but I don't think there's any need for a thumb safety on the XD.

Anyone else feel the same?

-stunks

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Sorry I was trained on a 1911 first and after years of carrying one it's just second nature to me I still feel uncomfortable carying a pistol concealed without a manual safety. The XD was the first polymer framed pistol that seemed right for me right out of the box and eventually I'm sure I'll own at least one more. But for some reason I dont think one will ever be my preferred carry piece. For some reason I keep reaching for my 1911's. However I would not think twice about carrying a XD as my duty pistol.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The grip safety was one of the selling points for me with the XD over the Glock. I don't think you would ever want to jam a Glock in your pants Mexican-carry style. While I can feel safe doing it with my XD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I contemplated the whole manual saftey thing. But I figured I wouldn't be carrying it. And the only time it would be loaded is at the range.
I agree with backstay. My saftety isn't just my index finger, but it's also the bullets, and the lock.
This gun will be locked and unloaded unless I am at the range ready to shoot, OR if for some reason the SHTF and I actually want to destroy something other than a paper target.
Anyway, I did go to the gun store and handle a bunch of guns prior to my decision. I like the HK USP. And the balance of the XD 4" was great. But I liked that little bit of extra weight at the muzzle of the 5" a little better.
And when comparing prices, XD wins hands down. (Sorry HK...)

Now I get to start shopping for a tactical light :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just out of college? Sounds like it's time to find a job in a more gun-friendly area where you don't have to wait forever to get your new toys.

Start a new life in the gun-friendly state of your choice!!!! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Missouri is a pretty gun friendly state. It just takes a while to get through the required permits. :roll:
I don't mind though. Gives me something to look foreward to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where are you in Missouri, scurvyman? I'm in the St. Louis area and shoot at the Barnhart Club. We have some nice Steel Matches every month. You might be interested.

Oh, and the XD does NOT need a thumb safety!

Enjoy your XD Tactical. I've had mine for a few months now. I've got more than a couple thousand rounds through it with absolutely no problems.

BTW, I did get a trigger job from Canyon Creek. Wow, what a difference that made. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You will love your XD!! I to think that HK and GLock are way over rated. IF they were all the same price i would get the XD!! its a better pistol in my mind

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Silk XD,
I've been to Top Gun indoor range. It's a pretty nice facility. And the people there are great.
Thos steel matches sound like fun. Someday after I learn to shoot, I will have to come and check it out.

By the way, how do you like the outdoor range compared to the indoor ones? The one I go to is well ventillated and air conditioned, so it's very comfortable. But I'd like to try shooting outside. Is it easier on the ears outside?

Anyway, my purchase permit came in the mail today. So I'll try to come back with a range report.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Scurvy,
Great choice on the XD. I like SIG's also but there's a big difference in price. Shooting outdoors is nice and easy on the ears but an indoor range has little restrictions when it comes to weather and target distance. Make sure you call the range you plan on shooting at and set-up a lesson with the owner or manager. They will run down the basics of gun operation, range rules, safety and shooting tips. This 1st time lesson will be invaluable as the information passed along can save your life and others.

Get ready to enjoy years of shooting fun! Isn't America great!

I look forward to hearing your 1st range report.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
bigun said:
Dont be nervous obout your decision, Tupperware is tupperware, The Glocks and H&K's are over rated, Yes I said it OVER RATED, Why pay close to a grand for a H&K and $50 or more per magazine, their frames dont cost any more to make than our XD's They like all H&K designs are way over engineered and more complex than they need to be for a combat handgun. The only thing I'd like to see on a XD that isnt there is a thumb safety.
the xd already has too much crap on it..why throw in a thumb safety? i already dont like the grip safety.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bwahahahaha, it's here!
Shiny new 9 mm tactical. I posted a range report just now.

The tactical has an amazing feel. I like the little extra weight at the muzzle. And it's a hell of a lot more accurate than I am.

Thanks to all you guys offering support. This website did have a large impact on my choice of gun and damn was it worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts