Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reasons appreciated. This would be a great assist for the new XD owner and particularly someone like me who goes crazy buying after market accessories, much of which turn out to be a waste of $.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Uncle Mikes kydex mag pouch. It is way too big for the mag and then uses a plastic spring like deal to tension the magazine and prevent it from falling out.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn and I just ordered one. I should have started this thread earlier :(

·
Registered
513 Posts
It really is a personal thing. If you want it buy it. While one might like it another may not. Like the poll of grips, sights and guide rods. There are many fine holsters out there for a decent price. I have not decided on one yet otherwise I would let you know. Keep us posted as to what you find out. BTW I am thinking of some good night sights but have not decided on which ones. Will probably just buy another XD 40 service.

·
Registered
813 Posts
personally, the new SA holster they are giving away is one of the worst. 2 reasons...
1. It's right handed only.
2. the rails. Your holster and your light are now on the same hip. I draw the weapon, then have to transfer it to other hand so I can unhook my light, mount it, then transfer back to my shooting hand. I rather have the weapon ready to fire at all times while I get the light from my other hip out of it's own holder and mount it with my support hand.

Best,
The XML for the SC model.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
anything with a laser sight = nub shooter

·
Registered
539 Posts
Best Accessories I've bought: EFK 9mm Conversion Barrel, Hogue Handall Grips, Don's Guide Rod and 22# Wolfe Spring.

Worst I've seen: Those Mickey Mouse Ears on Ebay (I forget what they called them, and I'm glad for that).

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Anything by Blade-Tech is of the first order, IMO.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Someone on the forum was pimping an $8 range bag from wallyworld, I think in the pre-hack days (I did a search, could not find thread). Well, I was at WW tonight and saw one and dammit I couldn't pass it up. Made by Rubbermaid for tools but seems to be custom made for pistol totin'.

Good accessory there, bro.

Worst? Any holster that is RH only. Support your left handed brethren and boycott them until they make a holster for everyone.

·
Registered
580 Posts
^^^ right on!!! :D

best accessory i've seen is the +2 extension (which turned out to be +3). i've mentioned this before.

worst one i've seen...mickey mouse thingys.

enjoy!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The best, Heinie Slant Pro sights. Best sights on the market, with honorable mention to, Alessi holsters. Worst, a plastic holster with rails on it! 8)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Best accessory for the Subby: Pearce grip extensions.

And please quit dissin' the holster with the rails; I'm still working on the patent for a beer holder and toaster oven attachment. :wink:

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
The best accessory was the prototype threaded guide rod introduced pre-hack.

You could personalize with decorative accessories or go utility with functional tools like a potato peeler on your XD.

Too many options.

bd

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
My favorite thing is the skateboard tape, the difference in the grip before and after was tremendous.

It cost me a crayon from the "childhood" box, but the white crayon inlay on the slide was pretty sweet looking after getting it done. I'm sure it'll raise a few eyebrows at the match today :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Verm said:
personally, the new SA holster they are giving away is one of the worst. 2 reasons...
2. the rails. Your holster and your light are now on the same hip. I draw the weapon, then have to transfer it to other hand so I can unhook my light, mount it, then transfer back to my shooting hand. I rather have the weapon ready to fire at all times while I get the light from my other hip out of it's own holder and mount it with my support hand.

Best,
Sorry, I like the SA holster. Why don't you just take the light off first, transfer to your left hand, then draw? Don's guide rod is also great.

·
Registered
813 Posts
jcrich33 said:
Verm said:

Best,
Sorry, I like the SA holster. Why don't you just take the light off first, transfer to your left hand, then draw? Don's guide rod is also great.
very simple reason. If I have to draw my gun, it's because there is a threat. Having to spend seconds taking off the light then drawing the gun, or drawing the gun and then having to shift to other hand could get me killed. That's why my XML sits in it's own holster on my weak hand side.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Son of Norway said:
Someone on the forum was pimping an $8 range bag from wallyworld, I think in the pre-hack days (I did a search, could not find thread). Well, I was at WW tonight and saw one and dammit I couldn't pass it up. Made by Rubbermaid for tools but seems to be custom made for pistol totin'.

Good accessory there, bro.

Worst? Any holster that is RH only. Support your left handed brethren and boycott them until they make a holster for everyone.
What he said!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's three "bests" in no particular order. The G-Code Kydex holsters from Gunner's Alley have worked great for me. I have one that fits my XD-40, and another that fits my XD-9.

I didn't think I'd like the rubber-style Decal-grip at first because I thought it might be a bit too abrasive. (I knew I didn't want the sand-style for that reason.) Although I love the Hogue HandAll (wrap-around) on the Ruger polymer frames, the Decal-Grip works better on the XD's. Both guns wear that grip.

The third is Don's Guide Rod. I confess the .40 S&W recoil is a bit too snappy for me with the factory setup. But being able to increase the recoil spring strength on the XD-40 has made it controllable. I made a mistake at first and got the 24-pound spring, and racking the slide required a real committment! The 22-pounder is lots better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Verm said:
jcrich33 said:
Verm said:

Best,
very simple reason. If I have to draw my gun, it's because there is a threat. Having to spend seconds taking off the light then drawing the gun, or drawing the gun and then having to shift to other hand could get me killed. That's why my XML sits in it's own holster on my weak hand side.

I'm new here I know but after reading this I couldnt help but to put in my two cents. First off, if your in a situation that you need to present your weapon then you shouldnt even waste a second thinking about your light, present the weapon deal with the threat*s. Secondly, if you need or think you need a light, then you need to have in mounted on your weapon and use a holster that allows you to do this or buy a surefire or simular light and carry it in your pocket of your weak hand or on the weak side belt. Third, and last, spend some time at a training facility getting some proper training, it will save your life.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I really don't get this whole XML light conversation. I just don't see any normal reason to have it. I suppose for LEO it could be a very useful device. For instance.. If you are on a domestic violence call, or "shots fired" call at night, you make the decision to put the light on your pistol before entering/approaching the domicile.

But for waking up in the middle of the night after hearing a "bump" in the darkness.. why not just turn on the lamp?

Raymond

1 - 20 of 42 Posts