Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have ranges that allow them to practice CCW draws and live fire, what are your routines? Since I joined a local club that allows me to practice I want to start practicing live fire drills. My new EDC is a bodyguard 38 so since I've picked it up yesterday I've been dry firing and getting used to reloading with speed loaders and quick strips. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
For those that have ranges that allow them to practice CCW draws and live fire, what are your routines? Since I joined a local club that allows me to practice I want to start practicing live fire drills. My new EDC is a bodyguard 38 so since I've picked it up yesterday I've been dry firing and getting used to reloading with speed loaders and quick strips. Thanks in advance!!!
I'm very much a beginner, so I've been practicing the four step draw from holster. Then I'll fire two or three shots, then come back to holster. All very slow, so I do it correctly each time.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very much a beginner, so I've been practicing the four step draw from holster. Then I'll fire two or three shots, then come back to holster. All very slow, so I do it correctly each time.
Yeah I need to get back into doing a slow routine first. I'm thinking of doing shots from retention also.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I hope that my range will allow it. I have shot there, but if anybody knows if East Orange Shooting Sports allows it could they let me know. I think that you should learn how to do this to be effective when SHTF.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I usually base my drills off 50 rounds only. If I can only afford 1 box, I can still practice.

25 rounds are dedicated to honing basic marksmanship skills at close (21 ft), medium, and long ranges. I practice engaging targets at those ranges with weapon drawn, from low ready, and from holster, and also one handed shooting.

The next 25 I use for special skills: mag changes, malfunction drills, moving and shooting (where I can), and drills.

here's a link to 3 documents that are FULL of awesome drills. Have fun.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/HandgunDrills.pdf

·
Registered
46 Posts
I reload so I practice about once every two weeks at least 150 rounds. I pratice draw from holster to fire, double tap to head, double tap to chest and one in each knee/hip. I will change the shot placement from head to chest then hip/knee. I practice with 2 hands, one hand, and left handed. Do clear drills, malfunctions,mag change, some times if not crowded engage multiple bad guys. Most of the practice is 15 yards some times at 25 yards. If I go out to the country I will use smaller targets, eggs, melons, clay birds, golf balls, candy at various ranges to 50 yards or so. Lots of fun!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually base my drills off 50 rounds only. If I can only afford 1 box, I can still practice.

25 rounds are dedicated to honing basic marksmanship skills at close (21 ft), medium, and long ranges. I practice engaging targets at those ranges with weapon drawn, from low ready, and from holster, and also one handed shooting.

The next 25 I use for special skills: mag changes, malfunction drills, moving and shooting (where I can), and drills.

here's a link to 3 documents that are FULL of awesome drills. Have fun.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/HandgunDrills.pdf
thanks for the link!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I play @ a private club, so I am fortunate to get to do just about anything safe, it's rarely busy. We will set up multiple targets. Present from contact distances & engage while moving, reloading from cover or on the move, even fighting from the ground. It's good practice. A 4" balloon on a strin connected to a piece of rebar is a more realistic headshot than a non moving target. Puts an end to the 2+1 comments you hear alot from those that shoot stationary target.
I would also urge you to get into a local IDPA club. While not completely tactical shooting, it does require some good basics of shooting from cover, on the move, semi realistic round counts, presentation from concealment, etc. It allows you to handle & shoot your carry gun under some stress, doing many of the things you would do if EDC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts