Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be buying a TRP Operator shortly, even though they're on a 3+ mo backorder from SA. First, a little background. The present guy (store mgr) at the shop I've purchased (4) new pistols and accessories from took over from the previous mgr who I was use to dealing with. However, he knows me from those sales and has since voiced his opinion about the generous deals (as he put it) that the previous mgr had given on the pistols I've bought. At any rate, the prices I paid were absolutely in line with the prices paid by those on the forum for the different pistols. He would tell me the price and I would of course ask if he could match "x" price (of which I found here on the forum) and he either said yes or no. "Yes" was the usual answer. Alway's "win/win" transactions and always used my bank card to complete the sale, as well. He alway's asked check or card anyway. No big deal and I'm sure he was happy for the many sales that he made. At any rate, this new guy's source of contention seems to be the fact of my use of a bank card on top the good prices that were agreed on. I know it cost retailers a few % running cards but form of payment was never an issue making my purchases with them and he could have said yes or no at any point. I've already established this guy's a prick and has sour grapes because they gave away the shop (ha) and he's not going to also do it.

Now to the present with the possibility of still yet another pistol purchase. Again, it's a TRP Operator (short rail) and this guy gave me a price of $1402 + tx. which seems to be an ok and fair price. Also he asked if I'd be using my bank card to which I said I'll pay it with my check as it never mattered to me in the first place. Just easier in the past using the card and it was never an issue with the other mgr. Of course he claims they don't make any money with a great deal and the C.C. fees. Bs but ok. He also wants a $500. non-refunable deposit to order it claiming if I were to change my mind before it comes in they wouldn't be out because they don't normally stock that pistol because of it's price point. He's being untruthful as they have many high dollar firearms in stock (albeit, maybe not this particular pistol). I said I believe I've been a pretty good customer with these various past sales and if I say I want that particular item, I don't change my mind. Anyway, I've never had to put a deposit down and since this pistol has a pretty good wait, how long do I have while they use my $$$. It could take even longer for SA's production run and for them to ship. I may get it from somewhere else if the price is in line. Probably wouldn't have an issue at all if this guy and I hadn't already had a short debate on how to do business and how to talk to customers. Just feeling like there's no appreciation for my business but rather a "him against me" type of a situation. What have your experiences been if you've ordered a long back-ordered item. Deposit? Any problems?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
A few things ...

The dealer is most likely going to have to pay Springfield the entire wholesale price for the pistol to get on the waiting list. My LGS owner buddy has several Springfield 1911's that have been on order for nearly a year. He paid for them and he's STILL waiting for delivery.

The good news ... the TRP was one of the few Springfield 1911's that he was able to get in. I believe the wait was in the 3-6 month range.

When you say "bank card" are you utilizing a debit card or a credit card? If you're utilizing a debit card is it a PIN debit card (where you enter your PIN on the terminal) or a signature debit card? The retailer will pay different rates depending on the answer to that question.

Alternatively, you could scour the web to see if you can find an online retailer with a TRP in stock or see what comes up in a search for a used one. That way you keep your $500.00 until just very shortly before you receive the pistol.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. I pay with my bank card and use it as "credit" . . . no pin. Also, I did call someone else and would charge about $1550 - 1650 or so and would require 1/2 down. So that is probably customary. With the number of sales I've given them in the last year, just seemed to be not as I expected is all. Still could be a little bit of nah nah from him too.

I already knew that it was going to be a 3 month wait but I called SA earlier today and was told that it could be a 3 - 6 month wait. I happen to ask about my shop since he said he gets product directly from SA. It turns out that they happen to be one of SA's so called "diamond" dealers (I believe that was the cs girl termed it). Means they do enough business with SA that they're a little higher tiered than normal. At any rate, as it turns out, she said that my shop actiually placed an order for 2 yesterday and are allocated. The shop probably had a couple of sales that were placed by other customers since the mgr had already told me that they don't stock that high priced of a pistol. However, by my asking a few more questions of the cs girl, that doesn't mean that they automatically send 2 to the shop. They could just get 1, 2, etc. of whatever is allocated. I'm just concerned about having the down pymt tied up for who knows how long. IfIi placd an order and they then have 3+ on allocation, theres no guarantee who will get whatever is sent. Anyway, guess you just have to order it and forget about it until they call. Trouble is, no matter how long it may take to get in, it'll feel like it's twice as long to me (ha, kinda).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My gun shop called me on Tuesday and asked if I wanted to still wait on the TRP Operator that we had ordered through SA earlier this month (would be at least a 3 month wait or longer). Turns out he had one of his distributors call and say he had one (new and factory fresh) if he wanted it. Only catch is it'll cost me $30.00 more by not going through SA direct. Hmmm, thought about it for about a half a second and said "I'll take it"! It was being shipped yesterday and hope to get it by this weekend. If not, Tuesday by the latest because of the 4th. I have to say that I'm pretty excited about not having to wait for who knows how long it would be through SA. I figure that $30.00 is a small price to pay for not having to wait.

Anyway, thought I'd share a bit of my good news and I'll post pics when I get it. Oh yes, I went through the main shop about 45 minutes away, no money up front, bank card or check (as uusual). A much more professional shop who appreciates their regular customers. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts