Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may have been asked before, but I am just getting excited about getting my ccw. Were you nervous the first time you cc'd, or more excited, just wondering what different peoples emotions were at the time?

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I was nervous because it was not legal (80s) when I first used to CCW :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I oddly enough felt pretty normal, I might have been laughing on the inside on how many people I walked by that didn't know lol.

·
Registered
157 Posts
First time a 5 weeks ago and I felt good ..maybe lil nervous. Been looking forward to it for years so was excited

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I had the "is it printing/is it exposed" feeling but that's about it

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Felt real "normal" to me.

Congrats!

You will learn not everyone can see the outline of your gun and not every movement flashes it.
You will learn not everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!"
You will learn that the more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.
You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.
You will learn to not tug on the hem of your shirt every 5 minutes to assure yourself you're still concealed.
You will learn to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.
You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.
You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side.
You will learn to reach overhead with your weak-side hand.
You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend.
You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear.
You will learn to embrace low, to force your counterpart's arms/hands up, away from your piece.

In short, you will learn.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Congrats!

You will learn not everyone can see the outline of your gun and not every movement flashes it.
You will learn that the more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it.
You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts.
You will learn to not tug on the hem of your shirt every 5 minutes to assure yourself you're still concealed.
You will learn to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to.
You will learn to stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place.
You will learn to embrace low, to force your counterpart's arms/hands up, away from your piece.

Wow, thanks for that. I have been learning so much about ccw the past week. Posts like this really help out us newbies. I'm not a newbie to guns, have had them all my life, just a newbie to ccw.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

Congrats!

+infinity...forgot about all that.... lol

·
Registered
340 Posts

Congrats!

Very nice post. I'm waiting for my permit still, never even thought about a few of these things (especially the hugging thing). Thanks!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, guys! That list was formulated by over 10 years of CC, and a few articles by experts such as Mas. Ayoob. If anyone has one to add, I'll be glad to include it in subsequent posts.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
And here are a few more, especially for those "special" times when you're "stalled".

What NOT to do while in a public restroom stall

1. Do not play through different scenarios. Your sudden shout of, "Freeze, dirtbag." may cause the guy in the next stall to prematurely evacuate.

2. Do not hang your weapon by the trigger guard on the coat rack.

3. Do not lay your weapon in the crotch of your underwear - you know where that underwear has been.

4. Do not lay your weapon on the tank of the toilet. When you get up, enough movement will be generated to cause it to fall in.

5. Do not fiddle with your gun, ah, I mean your weapon, ah, I mean your - aw, Hell - you know what I mean.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been carrying for years but my wife just recently applied for a permit. When it came in the mail a few days ago, I told her to to pack up, we're going to WalMart. I put the XDm on the belt under a big dark shirt and gave her the LCR to put in her purse/bag. We walked around armed and did a little shopping. She was not as excited about it as I was but it was kind of a neat experience.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Congrats!

Not to beat the dead horse here, but this is so true. I've been CCW for a year and I'm finally getting over a few of these.

My first time out I was seriously nervous. I started by going to places I was comfortable with. In time, you get over it.

Contrast that with a few weeks ago where I had to stand up and talk in front of a group of folks ... had to go "deep concealment" that time but no way would I have tried that a year ago :shock:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I went through Kroger for my first time. Had on a untucked work shirt so I didn't think too much about it. Now I don't think about it at all, and it goes everywhere with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I remember a guy shooting his finger off in a restroom stall:shock:
At least it was his finger lol. And the list I carry everywhere with no CCW and I do everything on the list I always wear shirts that are in or over 4X and still worry about it being seen. Plus my pistol is hard to hide anyway I have a XD 45 ACP 7in long and 4 in high. I just got my IWB holster and haven't tried it out yet I am still stretching it,and I have a shoulder holster to go to. My hip holster is a Blackhawk Serpa hip holster and I have set it every which way the screws let me and it can still be seen by me I guess because I have no license and know it's there

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really wasn't that nervous... But I have open carried every day of hunting, and when going into the podunk towns near our hunting properties. But its pretty normal there.

We have the nice law that allows open-carry (excluding Denver-proper). So if I printed or my shirt rode up briefly, I didn't really give a flying-"F". I don't think I ever did print, but knowing all would be OK if I did was nice.

The other thing to remember, is if you print or your shirt rides up briefly, most sheeple don't pay enough attention to ever notice. So even if it is hanging out for 3 seconds, many don't even give a second look. Remember this when you wonder "can anyone see this through my shirt???" If they don't notice it when you are printing BADLY, they sure as hell aren't going to give notice when you are only 98% concealed.

Except for the other CCW'ers, they will notice, but they don't care.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I went to the gun range and got approved for holster work and practiced drawing from holster and just getting comfortable with having a loaded pistol in my pants. When I was done, I left my gun in the holster and went to dinner. Everyone behaved normally, panic did not ensue, so I'm assuming people didn't notice or didn't care.

Since then, if I'm leaving the house other than to go to work (where I'm pretty sure they have a no weapons policy, though I have to check), I'm carrying.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Congrats!

This should be stickied. well said.

First time I cc'ed, I noted a definite sense of awareness of my surroundings and what people were doing and that I had a potentially lethal weapon with me.

Now, while I still find myself much more aware of my environment, I rarely feel 'self conscious' about the fact I'm carrying. It's become second nature and just a part of how I start my day ... no different than grabbing my wallet. Since I got my CCW, I don't think there's been a single day I've left the house without carrying.

Of course, it did take a couple days to realize I had to make some wardrobe adjustments to make sure what I was carrying concealed STAYED concealed.
:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts