Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my xd9 tactical and love it however im still not sure on ammo right now im leaning toward pmc however I havent done enough testing yet to know if thats what I will stick with. Also I want to re test everything with some decent sights those factory sights dont lend much for pinpoint accuracy.

So my question is what are you guys shooting that seems the most accurate to you for the money?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
I just shoot my own reloads, so that won't help any, but I put the Dawson adjustable fiber opitic sights on my Tactical, and couldn't be happier.
I didn't think much of the factory sights for like you said pinpoint accuracy, they where fine for like 3" groups at 10yrds, but with the new sights I can shoot group half that size. I even put the Dawson adj. night sights on my XD40 Service model that I carry, and I'm real happy with those too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
I just shoot my own reloads, so that won't help any, but I put the Dawson adjustable fiber opitic sights on my Tactical, and couldn't be happier.
I didn't think much of the factory sights for like you said pinpoint accuracy, they where fine for like 3" groups at 10yrds, but with the new sights I can shoot group half that size. I even put the Dawson adj. night sights on my XD40 Service model that I carry, and I'm real happy with those too.
Thats great to hear I just ordered the Dawson adj fiber optic sights a few minutes ago after looking at quite a few other ones.

Oh and btw hobocircus I tried wolf it was the second worst accuracy out of the 8 or 9 brands I tried my first time out. The worst was surprisingly seller and bellot 115 grain 2 out of 5 of the seller didnt hit the paper at 15

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think you will like them. After I put those on I picked up a XD40 Sub-Compact, and this afternoon I'm picking up another Service Mod (OD this time), and I think I will try the TRUGLO nightsights on the SC, and will wait and see about the other service mod.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Miwall 125 gr FMJ reloads and Wolf 115 Gr FMJ.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
redice said:
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
Thats great to hear I just ordered the Dawson adj fiber optic sights a few minutes ago after looking at quite a few other ones.

Oh and btw hobocircus I tried wolf it was the second worst accuracy out of the 8 or 9 brands I tried my first time out. The worst was surprisingly seller and bellot 115 grain 2 out of 5 of the seller didnt hit the paper at 15
Sounds like a personal problem. All of mine from the same manufacturers group nice and close. I can't say enough good things about S&B and Wolf, both have been much more accurate and reliable then WWB in my experience..

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
OK seriously, I prefer in this order

1. Geco
2. S&B
3. Wolf and Winchester White Box tied for third.
4. Any other brands (cause I own XDs and mine aren't picky :mrgreen: )

interesting read for the Box o truth guys (and they don't lie! :wink: )

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu6.htm

·
Registered
71 Posts
American Eagle 9mm 115grn FMJ. Hard to find and relatively expensive but seems to be a lot cleaner than WWB. I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the cost for practice ammo. The best I've found was $8.57 for 50 rounds but Walmart has 100 rounds of WWB for less than $11.50.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very interesting so far not exactly what I expected. However it opens up some more avenues of exploration.

Btw the seller and bellot being the worst by 2 fliers. It was not because of my shooting. related tests were performed off the bench and even with the crappy factory sights the pmc which performed the best shot about a 3 inch group. With 1 out of group which I believe was a flinch, still getting used to this pistole.

Heres my targets I believe I was shooting at about 15 yards however it may have been a little shorter or longer never measured, all shots were done with a 2 handed grip resting on sandbags.

Olympic is O's around the shot
115gr seller is x's below shot
124gr seller is not marked

wolf is circled
pmc is not

remington is circled
Winchester is not

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I use Geco in my tactical for competition. it is 124 grain, and I have found it to be very consistent case to case and relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
therooster said:
manygunner said:
Miwall 125 gr FMJ reloads

how do you like those Minwalls? ever have any QC problems with them?
They have been reliable and accurate for the past 15K rounds I have gone through. I am working on my next 12K right now. The only load I ever had problems with from them is their .380 FMJ, had four to five squibs in a batch of 1000. I told their rep and they sounded concerned, I was told they would double check on the QA there. I have shot their 9mm, .44Spl., .44 Mag., .38 Spl and .40 S&W without any problems. Best cheap practice ammo I got outside of make your own.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Oh, come on. Surely someone uses E-Shock rounds! They're so cool!

E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system."
I hear they are hand forged from an alloy of pure Indestructium™ and 100% concentrated evil, with a bit of cattle feces thrown in for good measure. The cow poop is the special ingredient, since E-Shock rounds are specially engineer to expend maximum bullshit onto the target.

All humor aside, I actually carry .40SW 180-grain Federal Hydra-Shok JHP's. I've only put a few rounds down range, but the muzzle flash is acceptable and the recoil isn't significant worse than a standard round.

-James

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
redice said:
Very interesting so far not exactly what I expected. However it opens up some more avenues of exploration.

Btw the seller and bellot being the worst by 2 fliers. It was not because of my shooting. related tests were performed off the bench and even with the crappy factory sights the pmc which performed the best shot about a 3 inch group. With 1 out of group which I believe was a flinch, still getting used to this pistole.

Heres my targets I believe I was shooting at about 15 yards however it may have been a little shorter or longer never measured, all shots were done with a 2 handed grip resting on sandbags.

Olympic is O's around the shot
115gr seller is x's below shot
124gr seller is not marked

wolf is circled
pmc is not

remington is circled
Winchester is not
No offense redice, but those are not good results coming off of sandbags. Something is wrong :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No offense redice, but those are not good results coming off of sandbags. Something is wrong :([/quote]

It apears it was much closer to 20 if not over 20 I went out back and paced off the distance from memory and after measuing it looks like at least 20 yards I may have been shooting 25 yards, will have to check next time im there it was raining a bit and overcast so I didnt take as much time to set up as I would have liked.

But those factory sights are horrible as well I have never had sights that bad before on a gun, you got a 1/8 of gap on eather side of the blade when aimed at full arm length just have to sort of center it....

I may also be having problems with the pre travel which I will be fixing I know that gun will improve dramatically I just want to know what ammo to buy crate wise. It was just a bad day overall to shoot and im not making any decisions based on that first shoot, im going to re do the test again in better weather and at a known range maybe tommorow if its nice.

heck now that I think of it more it could have been over 30 yards seems to me I walked a lot longer to get to the target than I just walked in the back yard heh. I have never been that great at eyeing yardage and in the dark im sure that was made even worse.

And im a lot better shot than those targets show above, with my 1911 the holes touch each other at 25 it also has a hell of a lot better sights than the xd and is a competition grade gun.

Btw each ammo test in that was 5 shots, only 1 cold shot each I did not wait for the barrel to cool for the follow ups I was not shooting for target shooting I wanted to know the use based accuracy. After I ran the ammo test I ran 4 unload tests 2 15 round mags as fast as possible using sights and 2 10 round mags as fast as possible using sights in both of those tests I shot left a good 5+ inches and in the second mag of each of those accuracy was dramatically diminished, I used 2 targets each time seperated by several feet and moved 1 station after each mag to attack the different targets the second target in both cases was missed 2x as much as the first by the looks of it and the group was quite wide.

I didnt take those targets nor did I take a very in depth look at them because at that point it was pouring down rain :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Yeah, I would measure the distance more accurately and not shoot from such a long distance. Also I find round bullseye targets are better suited for acquiring a proper sight picture.

Here are some groups at 8 yards using my XD9 ported, shooting from a table and using a paper towel roll as a rest. Soon after this my rear sight came loose and fell off, so maybe it could have been better?

I wish I bought more of that Geco stuff, it was excellent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya I really dont like these targets I thought they would be nice because of all the squars and that however there pretty hard to see when there out there. I need to buy some decent targets these were just the cheepest there were that looked decent, I like the look of yers a lot better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts