Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1980 song "Cars" was based on a road-rage incident. The singer Gary Newman was able to escape in West London in his Ford Cortina, but perhaps only because the pavement in that spot was quite wide.

The author FerFal has written about one's daily-driver vehicle and being able to jump a curb to get out of an escalating situation.

(article may be paid content)

How Road Rage Inspired the New Wave Hit ‘Cars’

FerFal and The Modern Survivalist

The Modern Survivalist

·
Registered
29,825 Posts
Never forget your vehicle is a battering ram. If you gotta push another vehicle out of the way...do it.

And, if it comes to it, for all the hoopla about energy transfer and foot-pounds of energy a bullet has...

Your car has mile-tons. It's a weapon, and if the situation calls for deadly force, use every weapon at your disposal.

·
Premium Member
18,054 Posts
That's why I like my full-time AWD 4Runner... Except for having to leave on the running boards for my shorter family members, I can run over a lot of stuff... I've ruggedized it a bit with a heavy-duty front skid plate. Haven't gone full off-road with steel front/rear bumpers, but it's stealthier this way.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
That's why I like my full-time AWD 4Runner... Except for having to leave on the running boards for my shorter family members, I can run over a lot of stuff... I've ruggedized it a bit with a heavy-duty front skid plate. Haven't gone full off-road with steel front/rear bumpers, but it's stealthier this way.
Auto retract running boards are getting more popular.

Not getting stranded in a snowstorm is a far more likely vehicle survival event around here compared to jumping curbs to outrun a violent mob.
just a decent set of tires can do wonders. The little lady has some ATs on her minivan. It is night and day difference between her minivan and other otherwise identical minivans.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Silverado Trail Boss. It can ram and run over most objects

·
Registered
795 Posts
Many years ago I had a drunk guy go all road rage on me while I was driving a beater ‘75 Nova down the freeway. He swerved into the side of me while I hit the brakes to avoid him. He ended up “PITTING” himself off the front corner of my bumper. His 4WD Blazer whipped around backwards and he flew off the road and into a fence. I hung out waiting for the Police while the guy worked at trying to free his ride from the chain link fence. He got it free and drove away. This was well before cell phones.... I sat there for 30 minutes but no Police ever showed up. I drove away feeling glad it was the beater car instead of a nice car.

·
Banned
1,147 Posts
dont buy nuttin wit those collision sensor breaking crap onit. ittl send ya thru yer windsheild or blow your airbags thru yer neck iffinya tried to push a blocked road of bloodthirsty marauders.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
1. Don't honk your horn at jerks
2. Don't pull up so close behind another car/truck that you can't pull out and go around
3. Be aware of what lane(s) have room on either side to allow you to pull around and go down the road
4. Keep your doors locked
5. Know how to react, how to drive
6. If you think someone is staying with you then don't continue on to work/home. Turn short or go past and if they turn with you make another turn. If they follow and you become convinced they are following YOU, then do what you need to in order to leave them behind you and lost.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
^ This, +eleventybillion.

Don't get all macho whenever "cars" get mentioned. It's just like the gun, knife, OC, and flashlight at your side. It's just another tool. And as legally armed citizens, we all know that de-escalation is always the best route, even if it means eating our pride.

The motor-vehicle you're in is an awesome weapon (Yang), but that needs to be balanced-out by an inherent understanding that it's also at the same time perhaps your best way *out* of that same situation (Yin). Regardless of what you choose to do with the vehicle, if "movement = life," your vehicle allows you the ability to seriously move, so keeping that ability intact is crucial.

Yes, we can ram obstacles or run over them, but the flip side of that coin is knowing enough about your vehicle - both in terms of mechanical empathy as well as with a true understanding of its systems - to know what happens as it starts to take damage. What will pop the airbags? When the airbags pop, will that shut down your fuel-pump? If that fuel-pump shuts down, can it be reset?

I won't deny that as a car-guy (how long have I had that avatar? :p), I yearn for the simple years and fawn over my buddy's OJ Simpson era Bronco to build-out as a Mad Max doomsday vehicle (instead of giving it to the offspring as his first beater). But the truth of the matter is that we are much more vulnerable to traffic accidents in our daily lives than virtually any other threat aside from those which arise within our own bodies (diabetes, obesity, etc.) - and here, a modern vehicle's safety features really do come into play. To-wit, those beancounters who insure us aren't giving us discounts on modern cars just to make us feel good. But with that, those of us who have seen modern civil unrest unfold should also take a moment to understand what our vehicles' various collision mitigation systems may do, if we demand of them something that they - the AI resident in the untold lines of code within our vehicle's ECU - deem to be inherently unsafe.

Laminated passenger compartment widows, auto-locking doors, etc. - even these small features can potentially be of life-and-death concern, under just the right (wrong) conditions.

There are always compromises, no matter if the vehicle is old or new.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
It is amazing how simple cars used to be. I remember once after a series of repairs to the DDs, thinking "The Corvair doesn't have any of these parts". My 58 Deere crawler doesn't even have a starter solenoid. a rod is attached to the starter that closes the contacts manually. No crank start as that is where the hydraulic pump is. That Deere has the strangest shift pattern;
2-1-3
R-4

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Never forget your vehicle is a battering ram. If you gotta push another vehicle out of the way...do it.

And, if it comes to it, for all the hoopla about energy transfer and foot-pounds of energy a bullet has...

Your car has mile-tons. It's a weapon, and if the situation calls for deadly force, use every weapon at your disposal.
I learned this in Kosovo as a convoy lead. The deuce I drove had a reputation as a battering ram. During the first run I took out a Mercedes. Left the Mercedes bumper attached to the front of the deuce for the entire deployment. It was a good indicator to the locals that we were NOT fuching around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts