Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here forever, hemming and hawing and overthinking my purchase like I always do.

Well, today, I finally brought home my first XD.

It's a black, .40 S&W Service, and I'll hopefully be able to take it for its first range day this Saturday.

The gent at the store said the only real oiling spots are the slide rails. Are there any other spots I should be lubing?

Currently, I have a few boxes of Hydra-Shoks and a few boxes of Winchester SXTs (both 180gr.) I also have a few boxes of Fiocchi FMJ for practice. Can anyone point me towards or away from brands for this pistol?

It really is a pity I can't get a conceal permit in LA. I bought a UCH for around-the-house carry, and I tried out the whole rig today. It disappeared in Jeans and a T shirt. My wife couldn't spot it unless I shook my hip at her.

Anyway, I'll post my first range report here, hopefully in a few days.

Thanks for all the advice, gents!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
DoctorSuarez said:
I've been lurking here forever, hemming and hawing and overthinking my purchase like I always do.

Well, today, I finally brought home my first XD.

It's a black, .40 S&W Service, and I'll hopefully be able to take it for its first range day this Saturday.

The gent at the store said the only real oiling spots are the slide rails. Are there any other spots I should be lubing?
Barrel bushing, top of barrel where it slides into frame during cycling and maybe the lug area on the barre andllocking block.

Currently, I have a few boxes of Hydra-Shoks and a few boxes of Winchester SXTs (both 180gr.) I also have a few boxes of Fiocchi FMJ for practice. Can anyone point me towards or away from brands for this pistol?

It really is a pity I can't get a conceal permit in LA. I bought a UCH for around-the-house carry, and I tried out the whole rig today. It disappeared in Jeans and a T shirt. My wife couldn't spot it unless I shook my hip at her.

Anyway, I'll post my first range report here, hopefully in a few days.

Thanks for all the advice, gents!
I use GoldDots because all the local cops do. Check what the local law enforcement uses and get that, more defensible in court if you have to defend yourself. For practice S&B is good. I have also had decent luck with the reloads from Miwall, they can be ordered online here http://www.outdoormarksman.com/

·
Registered
889 Posts
Congaratulations on your new purchase I'm sure you will like it. :D
As far as what to lube goes I think manygunner has about covered that, and as for ammo, my carry ammo is Hydra-Shocks becaues thats what the cops in my area use, but don't pick what you carry based on what you hear on some forum, just try some of the diffrent brands of self defense ammo and use what works best in your gun. The same goes for practice ammo, but there you can start on the cheep side and work your way up untill you find something that works, I reload so all I ever shoot for practice is reloads.
My only advice for you on your carry permit situation is get the hell out of that state before it falls into the ocean. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I might also suggest that you oil the complete
outside of the slide. Please do this for five or
six times, RemOil or other which will penatrate
and saturate the metal, wiping off the excess
each time. By doing this, you will certainly
lower the Big 'R' factor.

Ed

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
DoctorSuarez said:

"you can never have too much oil or greese on your gun." - Paul Howe

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hah... I know California's a nightmare. But rumor has it that the state's population is shifting red in a big way. I can imagine things actually getting better here. I myself have already created two new gun owners and gun voters. I'm not about ready to give up, especially since I finally got a real writing job.

Interestingly, the guys at the store said that, for a while, people were waiting months and even years to get their hands on an XD. Do you early-adopters remember such a time?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got back from firing off 100 rounds of Fiocchi 170 gr.

And...

Everything went juuuust fine.

My heart sank when the very first round I tried to chamber (by slingshotting) jammed up, but every single other round, chambered either by hand or recoil, fed, fired, and ejected flawlessly.

Alas, since I had to shoot and scoot in order to make an appointment, I fired my rounds off a little too quickly. However, the first three I shot grouped well. Next time, I'll spend a few hours there and really get to know the weapon. Today was more about making sure it works.

I like the trigger, even though I've been shooting a Gold Match II since May. The sights are nice and easy to use, the magazines seat firmly and with a satisfying click, and they drop easily.

Anyway, thank you all for convincing me to buy this pistol. So far it's been a sheer delight to own. Alas, I will not be sending you all the $350 I saved by not buying a Sig 229.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts