Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance today to warm up the Hi Point 9mm carbine along with the NRA model Mini 14. Weather was nearly 60 degrees...so perfect.

I started with the Mini, it does what it always does. People that complain about these rifles not being accurate clearly have not shot the newer ones because it is very accurate. Not .270 Ruger M77 accurate, but at 100 yards it is absolutely spot on. It currently has peep sights so anything beyond 100 yards is of no use to me because my eyes are just not up to the precision 200 yard peep sight shot. I ran 100 rounds through it, which is always fun. Then of course came the brass hunt, which is not much fun because it chucks that brass like a MLB pitcher.

Now for the Hi Point. I can't believe how much fun you can have for $300 or less. I put another 100 rounds of cheap dirty Tula through it without a problem. The last time I had one failure to feed that was caused by me not getting the magazine all way locked in. As a side note, I do not intend to clean this gun again until I run at least 1000 rounds through it. I just wipe it down and put it away.

I shot it at 60 yards offhanded with the peep sights, which I am starting to warm up to. I have never liked peep sight and the ones on the Hi Point I really struggled with. Today I wore my yellow lens shooting glasses which brighten everything up and that helped a lot. This week I plan to put a spot of white paint on the front blade. At 60 yards I was able to ring all my steel targets easily and hit the 50 round 9mm ammo box. On the 8 inch steel target I could do offhanded triple taps. On the 6 inch I could double tap but not triple. Not as good as most Internet assassins, but that is about what I can do without really slowing down. Also, now that I filed the sharp edges off the trigger I didn't keep looking to see if I was bleeding. I am certain that this gun would be accurate out to 100 yards, which is the length from my sniper's nest (the wife's gazebo) to my targets.

I would highly recommend one of these fun guns. For the first time in my life I have gun that I am willing to throw in the truck with only slightly more care than a shovel. Get one.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found if I want something long enough it turns out that I actually needed it. Especially for around $300.

Reactions: TomLC

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I am certain that this gun would be accurate out to 100 yards, which is the length from my sniper's nest (the wife's gazebo) to my targets.
Nice report, Jed.

And there's just something very cool and wicked about dual purpose sniper's nests :)

The tree house my son and I built 20 years ago always had that in the back of my mind as we were building it. Now that he's 25 and over Fool's Hill, he thinks I'm pretty cool for having thought of it, too.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice report, Jed.

And there's just something very cool and wicked about dual purpose sniper's nests :)

The tree house my son and I built 20 years ago always had that in the back of my mind as we were building it. Now that he's 25 and over Fool's Hill, he thinks I'm pretty cool for having thought of it, too.
I am all about dual purpose. My son's old tree fort just happens to be where 2 major deer trails intersect near the creek. ;-)

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. I am very happy with it. In fact, I am going to pick up a 45 version next year.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I am happy to hear this UJ, thanks for the update....the windy report had me a bit concerned....did you just have to adjust the sight?

Mine is being delivered Tues, excited to get it, but I only have access to an indoor range right now, so it might be a while until I shoot it.

Also, question for those in the know (should post in ammo thread as well). I plan reloading for this as well, should I avoid plated bullets due to increased velocity?

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am happy to hear this UJ, thanks for the update....the windy report had me a bit concerned....did you just have to adjust the sight?
I still haven't shot it off of the bags to sight it in properly, but it appears to be dead on. My problem before was the crazy wind and I just couldn't see through the peep sight properly because it was getting towards dark and very cloudy. It was cloudy today but not as dark and I had on my yellow shooting glasses. I think it is dead on but time will tell. So no I haven't adjusted it at all. I just needed to be able to see better.

You guys are going to love it.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, and since I no longer reload 9mm I am shooting cheap Tula ammo. Nice to pick up empty "brass" with a magnet.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Can't say I support the logic of not cleaning the gun at all until 1,000 rounds. At least a spray of CLP every now and then, just out of respect.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's an experiment based on claims made by Hi Point Carbine owners. Not my normal behavior.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I shot one in 45 a few months ago and loved it. Surprisingly quiet, and accurate. For the price you can't really go wrong. Good review.

You have now made me add one to my wish list. Think I'll go 9mm

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The good thing about 9mm is the price of the ammo. The good thing about the .45 is that...well...it's a freakin .45 !!!

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
I shot one in 45 a few months ago and loved it. Surprisingly quiet, and accurate. For the price you can't really go wrong. Good review.

You have now made me add one to my wish list. Think I'll go 9mm
I liked the one I had (9mm) , I had $35 red dot on it....Pretty accurate..........Thinking of the Kel Tec now for the foldablity?....Is that a word?....:lol::lol:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts