Springfield XD Forum banner

Which finish would you choose for your XD?

• Dura-Kote

• Armory-Kote

• Black-T

• Other (Please Specify)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So which would you choose? :shock:

Tim

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Didn't vote. No one can give you a clear answer what Gun-Kote, Dura-cote, armory-coat, etc actually is even. Is it paint? Is it powder coat? Is it heat treated? Can it chip? How thick is the coating? What is it's hardness rating? Anyone?...

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Factory finish works great for me so far on the XD. I do have an old beat up CZ than need refinishing though. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
The only one I have had refinished was my Tactical and that was done with what ever Rich uses at Canyon Creek (he did the Fusion Finish to it, it didn't need it but it sure looks cool now). I think it's Gun-Kote.
As far as I can tell Gun-Kote, Dura-Kote, and Armory-Kote are about the same it just depends on who is doing the work.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Depends on what you want.
Black-T is great for corrosion protection and it is very thin (Becomes one with the metal). It's not great for scratches or wear.
Dura and Armory-Kote are very close in results and better protection against scratches and wear.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I would choose Dura-Coat

It worked last time.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
So far, the stock factory finish is ok on my sub 9. I'd probably stay close to that as I don't like the two tones and definitely don't like the blue; it looks like a toy gun to me.

Now that's just my opinion so don't flame me. Obviously those who got theirs blue like them and that's fine. I don't. If everyone liked the same thing it would be a boring world (unless of course it was what I liked, ha ha).

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I like the look of the NP3.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Three and a half years and a few thousand rounds and the factory black finish has been just fine for me. I think I'll stay with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I plan to use the factory finish for as long as I can.

Though after researching the subject of this thread, I found this about Armor-Tuff on the 1911 Forum page.http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=56235

None, and I repeat NONE, of the guns that have worn through with wear, rust where the finish was worn off. Something in the coating bonds with the surface metal to prevent it. I sold a lot of guns in humid climates like Houston and Beaumont (add salt from the coast there) and get no gripe from rust, but the usual complaint that the finish will wear with use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
dave_in_delaware said:
Had my fiancee's XD-9 subbie Gun-Koted by Rich at Canyon Creek. Blue slide, silver parts. Looks awesome. Here's the pic: http://home.comcast.net/~dave_in_delaware/MyGuns/XD-9-2-Finished-20-sm.jpg ... or you can look at R/T's, too. LOL. :D
I sure like the way that blue slide looks...how did they get the letters white, or is it silver? That sure makes the slide stand out. How much extra is it to have the parts done in silver?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts