Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. Been cranking out 9mm rounds for the last couple weeks and got in a bind today. I am using a Lee Classic Turret with Lee carbide dies in a single stage fashion. I dialed in my crimp die and set to work to crimp a couple hundred rounds. I failed the basic reloading rule (pay attention) and didn't double check my shell holder. I had the .38 holder in and the loaded case sucked right up into the die.

This thing is stuck in a serious fashion. I'm thinking I missed an over length case or had it turned too far down but it won't budge. Any ideas? Lee says mail it to them but with ord-m shipping I can just buy a new one. I tried putting it in a vice and punching it out but I just mashed the bullet (berrys plated rn). I thought about using a hand rasp or file to saw off the bottom of the case but the powder and primer scare me. Can I freeze it? Soak it? Help me out, fellas?

I just so happened to have a hand model nearby.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm new the reloading thing, and not entirely familiar with your press, but is it possible to put the die/cartridge back in the press and then, using the correct shell holder, pull the cartridge from the die with the press on the down-stroke? Depending on how tight the jam is, this will either work or it might also rip the bottom off the cartridge. If that happens, then the powder/primer will no longer be an issue, and you can pound the bullet out and collapse the remaining brass tube.

packrat

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm new the reloading thing, and not entirely familiar with your press, but is it possible to put the die/cartridge back in the press and then, using the correct shell holder, pull the cartridge from the die with the press on the down-stroke? Depending on how tight the jam is, this will either work or it might also rip the bottom off the cartridge. If that happens, then the powder/primer will no longer be an issue, and you can pound the bullet out and collapse the remaining brass tube.

packrat
This was the first thought but because the die is a vertical operation and one has to tilt the case to get it in the shell holder I can't do that. I'm racking my brain on how to engineer the shell holder onto something I can put in my vice.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Try this....Screw the die back into the press, regular position. Take out the wrong shellholder. get the right shellholder. run the ram all the way down.
Slide the correct shell holder into the press and into the case grove, all at the same time. Raise the ram, it should come out.
You may need to loosen the lock ring on the die so you can screw it up or down to align the grove of the case into the shell holder

Post back if it works..

Correction on ram position. On your press, screw in the die, remove old shellholder, run the ram up to bottom of die, reinsert the correct shell holder while ram is up under die so you can slide it into the ram and shell case at the same time. Lower the ram to remove the case.

t

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
^^This

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I *THINK* the knurling on the LEE die will let you thread the die in from underneath.

If you're so lucky, using the correct shell holder will let you get the die re-inserted in the press with the correct shell holder, and you may have a chance to get that round out of there.

If it works, that round has a date with your kinetic puller, methinks, I would be very surprised if it chambers correctly for "disposal".

·
Registered
58 Posts
try to use the press to pull it out, it'll generate a lot more force than your hand. I would soak it in rem oil first if it's in there really good.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies. I tried to use the correct shell holder this evening and ended up pushing the round FURTHER into the die (frustration/lack of thought move on my behalf) so I think it may be a lost cause. Cabelas had the new crimp die on sale for $16 so I ordered one. I almost wish it cost more to teach me a lesson for being a knob and not paying attention.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Well, at least your mistake didn't cost you a limb or your eyesight. Just goes to reinforce the first rule of reloading: Pay attention.

Sorry it cost you money, but it's a relatively cheap lesson to learn.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Try this....Screw the die back into the press, regular position. Take out the wrong shellholder. get the right shellholder. run the ram all the way down.
Slide the correct shell holder into the press and into the case grove, all at the same time. Raise the ram, it should come out.
You may need to loosen the lock ring on the die so you can screw it up or down to align the grove of the case into the shell holder

Post back if it works..

Correction on ram position. On your press, screw in the die, remove old shellholder, run the ram up to bottom of die, reinsert the correct shell holder while ram is up under die so you can slide it into the ram and shell case at the same time. Lower the ram to remove the case.

I can demonstrate this if anyone likes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts