Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a kit of this stuff in hopes of protecting my new vehicle through Michigan winters. Its safe for all metals, plastics and wood. It has a lot of applications but tonight was the first time I used it on my guns for rust protection. So far its the nicest stuff I've used that is guaranteed not to dry out. It doesn't contain any solvent so one can goes a long way. I was able to cover the key areas of the chassis of my new car with one can until I coat the whole underside later. It doesn't get rid of rust but it will stop new rust from starting.

I highly recommend it to people to try if you haven't heard about it. Its available online or at Autozone and O'reilly's. If you don't like it for your guns its great on trailer hitches and anything else that's metal and sees bad weather. I plan on using it in my shop as well on all my metal fabricating tools.

Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICPiDOyA4T4

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm simply using FF on the outside as a barrier against moisture while the guns are in the safe. So far it shows no sign of drying out on me. I rub it in and it gives the gun a nice sheen and I have no doubt that it'll do the job. I've used Birchwood Casey Barricade, Frog Lube and all those seemed to dry out fast.

For lubing my guns I still like Gun Butter on the slide rails, Gun Butter Locking Block and Trigger lube on said parts, and Tetra oil on the barrel. I've had excellent results with these in their performance and their ability to stay wet after months of no use.

FF is much thicker than WD-40 or anything else I've used but it doesn't dry out or get gummy in any way. I'll keep this updated from time to time.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Just buy CorrosionX in spray cans for your rust prevention way cheaper and readily available.
CorrosionX for guns is great as well as it can be used as a cleaner and lubricant no need for multiple products.
No I am not affiliated with corrosion technologies just think they are good products.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm simply using FF on the outside as a barrier against moisture while the guns are in the safe...
In addition to a fluid-based rust preventative applied to your guns, you might want to consider the use of a VCI emitter inside your safe. I use both approaches for peace of mind during the humid months.

Here are a few links for VCI products:

http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=vci (I use the tool box VCI plug inside a gun case.)

Amazon.com : Browning Safes Zerust Protectant 154011 : Safe Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-Tackle-Zerust-Plastabs-3x5x-125-Inch/dp/B003R7DYR4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410023509&sr=8-2&keywords=zerust (I put one or two of these tabs in an empty magazine well. For long-term storage, make sure the Plastabs are not in direct contact with the outer metal surfaces of the gun)

Browning VCI Gun Sock 149985 | eBay (The VCI emitting is good for about 2 years.)

General info video: http://www.theinhibitor.com/Articles.asp?ID=142

Important to remember, silicone solutions can trap moisture on metal while VCI emitters will drive it away from metal.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've looked for FF in a couple of stores. No one knows any thing about it. Any one have a pic of product. Sounds good for the safe queens.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In addition to a fluid-based rust preventative applied to your guns, you might want to consider the use of a VCI emitter inside your safe. I use both approaches for peace of mind during the humid months.

Here are a few links for VCI products:

http://www.menards.com/main/search.html?search=vci (I use the tool box VCI plug inside a gun case.)

Amazon.com : Browning Safes Zerust Protectant 154011 : Safe Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Flambeau Tackle Zerust Plastabs (Black, 3x5x.125-Inch) : Fishing Equipment : Sports & Outdoors (I put one or two of these tabs in an empty magazine well. For long-term storage, make sure the Plastabs are not in direct contact with the outer metal surfaces of the gun)

Browning VCI Gun Sock 149985 | eBay (The VCI emitting is good for about 2 years.)

General info video: The Inhibitor VCI - Rust and Corrosion Prevention Products that STOP RUST!

Important to remember, silicone solutions can trap moisture on metal while VCI emitters will drive it away from metal.
Thanks for the info. It will be good for when I actually have a big safe. I should be more specific I guess. Mine is only a small floor safe that I can fit our pistols in and little extra cash. Of course I'm planning my bigger safe now though ;)

I've looked for FF in a couple of stores. No one knows any thing about it. Any one have a pic of product. Sounds good for the safe queens.
The website has a lot of good information. I'll try to post some pics of the can and FF sprayed on some metal as well as my guns. So far I still like the stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have not used FF on my guns (yet) but I do use it for other "wd-40" type uses. When I bought mine, the best prices were from kellsport products.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took a piece of 16ga sheet metal, sectioned it off and put a couple of different oils on it to see how they hold up in the weather. The sections are bare metal, Birchwood Case synthetic gun oil, Birchwood Casey Barricade, Rem Oil, Fluid Film sprayed directly to the metal (like it will be under the chassis of my truck), and the last section will have Fluid Film wiped on the metal with a microfiber cloth (as if it were being wiped on metal tools or guns for storage).

Its supposed to rain the next couple of days and I'm going to position it so it won't be directly in the rain but will still be exposed to the elements. I took a "before" picture so we'll see the changes. In 15 minutes the Rem Oil and Barricade were drying up and I'm not sure if that's what they are designed to do but these two were definitely the thinnest and are my least favorite oils I've used.

I'll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
I took a piece of 16ga sheet metal, sectioned it off and put a couple of different oils on it to see how they hold up in the weather. The sections are bare metal, Birchwood Case synthetic gun oil, Birchwood Casey Barricade, Rem Oil, Fluid Film sprayed directly to the metal (like it will be under the chassis of my truck), and the last section will have Fluid Film wiped on the metal with a microfiber cloth (as if it were being wiped on metal tools or guns for storage).

Its supposed to rain the next couple of days and I'm going to position it so it won't be directly in the rain but will still be exposed to the elements. I took a "before" picture so we'll see the changes. In 15 minutes the Rem Oil and Barricade were drying up and I'm not sure if that's what they are designed to do but these two were definitely the thinnest and are my least favorite oils I've used.

I'll keep you guys posted

Interested in your results.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:

I'm loving this stuff and find myself using it everywhere. I installed new doors in our house and before installing the knobs and dead bolts I sprayed them with FF and they are super smooth. I've coated my metal shaping tools with a thin film, sprayed it on my folding bike rack, trailer receiver, and the camper stabilizer legs and receiver. Everything operates smoother and any rust has stopped.

I've used FF on my Glocks and CZ as a rust proofer and lubricant on my barrels, rails and I'm really impressed. I just put a very thin coating on my barrels and it does not dry out and the slides feel smooth. I would say its just as smooth as anything else I've tried. I like using it on the outside of the slide by buffing FF into the finish and it leaves a nice sheen that doesn't dry out. I went shooting with the G21 and P07 and the spent powder wiped off the slide and barrel. When I cleaned the barrels I sprayed FF down in the barrel and let it soak in while I cleaned the rest of the gun. Then I used a barrel brush to scrub the bore and finished it off my running a bore snake through them. The bores looked great and I feel the light film will keep them protected while not over-lubing them. I keep a microfiber cloth in my bedroom to wipe the pistols down as I handle/carry them and there is enough residual FF in the rag that it acts like a silicone impregnated rag. I don't have to spray FF directly on the slides every time before I wipe them down for storage in the safe. Its fast, clean and easy to touch up the guns for storage.

Here are pictures of the sheet metal lubed and clean before it was put out in the elements, and also outside. It has been sitting outside for a couple of weeks but we just got rain last night. Until last night they were all looking rust free although the BC synthetic gun oil had some faint surface rust forming. It probably would have just wiped off it was so minor but rust is rust.

Last nights hard rain is what really put the oils to the test and FF came out on top. The sheet metal was sitting face up and rain collected on it but you can see the major rust that developed overnight. Both FF section are absolutely rust free.

The metal piece I used was an older piece that was sitting in the garage so it had some stains from storage prior to the this test. I think you'll be able to see what stains existed before the test and which rust is new.

Before the elements (stained but clean and free of other oils not used in the test)

After being outside for 2 weeks and last nights rain collecting on it. (The FF sprayed section has bugs and debris stuck to it but its rust free. The FF section that was wiped on with a microfiber cloth is clean of debris and rust free.)

I can't wait to spray the underside of my new vehicle before winter. It should provide good protection against salt, water and sand. Its supposed to rain off and on for the next week so I'll continue this test for as long as I can; probably through winter also. I'll keep doing updates as well.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that I can get the spray cans locally I keep finding uses for it. I might just start buying it by the case.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But they always miss the mint smell....always. Still, they always come back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts