Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen posts on here in the short time Ive been a member on this site asking if a CCW or HD gun should have a round in the chamber.

Here is a link to a recent post on here regarding someone who had to use their CCW to protect themselves.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ccw-ta...r-lawfully-used-firearm-against-attacker.html

Here is another link from a forum that the SAME PERSON WHO SHOT the gun posted on. Read the LAST POST on page ONE!!!!

Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • View topic - had to shoot someone on friday.

Read through all the comments if you have time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Fourteen pages is a bit much, but this has eliminated any shred of doubt I might have had as to whether a round should be chambered. I was already leaning that way, but this nailed the argument for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
"the gun was a glock model 36. carrying with one in the chamber probably saved my life because i was holding myself in the car with my left hand as they were trying to pull me out of the car no way i could have racked the slide."

Couldn't put it more plainly than that.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I always think its funny when people say "It only takes two seconds to chamber my gun." I can shoot 3-4 rounds in two seconds... If you're not comfortable with a round in the chamber you probably shouldn't be handling a gun...

·
Registered
403 Posts
I always think its funny when people say "It only takes two seconds to chamber my gun." I can shoot 3-4 rounds in two seconds... If you're not comfortable with a round in the chamber you probably shouldn't be handling a gun...
I'd even say that's an overestimate. It only really takes me a half second or so to rack the slide. But the lesson here is that you may not have the ability to rack the slide at all, because your other hand might be busy. So that half second might as well be a year.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
+1. A self defense scenario is gonna come fast and ferious, and when at the least suspected. If you don't have one in the pipe, then your just not ready.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fourteen pages is a bit much, but this has eliminated any shred of doubt I might have had as to whether a round should be chambered. I was already leaning that way, but this nailed the argument for me.

That is why I specifically typed; LAST POST on page ONE!!! So anyone who went there wasn't searching 14 pages of conversation.

Here is another link from a forum that the SAME PERSON WHO SHOT the gun posted on. Read the LAST POST on page ONE!!!!

Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • View topic - had to shoot someone on friday.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That is why I specifically typed; LAST POST on page ONE!!! So anyone who went there wasn't searching 14 pages of conversation.

Apparently I've got to adjust my rhetorical style because everybody here seems to think I'm arguing with them when I'm agreeing. :confused:

I guess I should have said that I did exactly what you said, read the last post on page one, then came back here and posted my reply.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apparently I've got to adjust my rhetorical style because everybody here seems to think I'm arguing with them when I'm agreeing. :confused:

I guess I should have said that I did exactly what you said, read the last post on page one, then came back here and posted my reply.

Ah Ha! It did seem that way. Its hard to tell when you're conversing with someone you don't know through typed text.

Anyways, I'm glad to see that has opened your eyes to carrying in the ready. There is no other way in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'd even say that's an overestimate. It only really takes me a half second or so to rack the slide. But the lesson here is that you may not have the ability to rack the slide at all, because your other hand might be busy. So that half second might as well be a year.
Yeah its definitely an overestimate. Either way that half second can be crucial. Racking your slide in a high stress situation is nothing like racking your slide at the range.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
If it takes you "two or three seconds" to chamber a round, and the BG is 15 feet away and advancing rapidly, you're dead before the you're ever loaded. If it takes you two hands to bring your weapon into action (as in racking a slide), and the BG grabs one arm, you're dead again.

I carry a full mag with one in the chamber. My weapon has a backstrap and trigger safety. There are no manual safeties to take off. I can typically draw, and get a point shot round off in 1.5 seconds or less. I can get an aimed shot off in less than 2.

If you don't feel safe carrying a round in the chamber of your carry weapon, you might want to change weapons. Think of those who carry a revolver, their gun is ALWAYS ready to rock and roll.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
+1, carrying with a round in the chamber is a must IMHO.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I know i'm going to get a lot of backlash for this one, but that's ok.

I never carry with one round in the chamber. It's not something I feel comfortable doing, no matter how much training or gun safety I have had. Accidents happen, I don't care if you've been taught for the past 50 years about gun safety, ACCIDENTS HAPPEN.

I have a 3 year old son and I would rather avoid the situation of an "accident", than keep one in the chamber for a scenario where one to two seconds makes a difference. The chances of me having to ever draw my gun are slim, the chances of me having to draw my gun, and one to two seconds makes a difference as to whether I live or die is even less likely.

Feel free to tell me i'm wrong. I have nothing against people that carry one loaded, nor do I ever try to change their minds. I personally just feel it is better to train yourself to load fast, then to keep one loaded and risk an AD.

G

·
^^ The possibility of you getting into a severe accident on the road is also unlikely. Maybe you should let you son sit in the front seat with no car seat or seatbelt. I mean, how long does it take to put on your seatbelt? Just put it on right before a major accident! ;)

And by the way, negligence happens, not accidents (with modern guns like the XD).

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I agree that negligence happens, not accidents...being an instructor I have seen plenty of examples of negligence in regards to firearms. I don't much see the difference in carrying a knife over an un-chambered firearm.

But do what you feel suits you best. It's better to have an un-chambered firearm than no firearm at all...kind of...

·
Registered
616 Posts
^^ The possibility of you getting into a severe accident on the road is also unlikely. Maybe you should let you son sit in the front seat with no car seat or seatbelt. I mean, how long does it take to put on your seatbelt? Just put it on right before a major accident! ;)

And by the way, negligence happens, not accidents (with modern guns like the XD).
We are all human, we all make mistakes. So whether you call it negligence or an accident, it could still happen to any one of us.

Give me a situation where an accident isn't caused by negligence...

If I put on his seatbelt, I don't have to worry about him getting ahold of the seatbelt and killing himself. Therefore, the seatbelt will always be on. You can't compare a deadly weapon to a safety device, and then say they are similar because accidents don't happen only negligence does...

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
We are all human, we all make mistakes. So whether you call it negligence or an accident, it could still happen to any one of us.

Give me a situation where an accident isn't caused by negligence...

If I put on his seatbelt, I don't have to worry about him getting ahold of the seatbelt and killing himself. Therefore, the seatbelt will always be on. You can't compare a deadly weapon to a safety device, and then say they are similar because accidents don't happen only negligence does...
My weapon is a "safety device"...

Have you ever seen the studies done on internal injuries sustained by seat belt usage in automobile wrecks?

·
Registered
616 Posts
My weapon is a "safety device"...

Have you ever seen the studies done on internal injuries sustained by seat belt usage in automobile wrecks?
ok, but now you are being too literal with the definition of a safety device. Your weapon is designed to kill, your seatbelt is designed for safety. You can't kill someone from 200ft away with your seatbelt can you?

A seatbelt won't save your life 100% of the time, Just like one bullet won't always kill someone.

BTW, don't take this conversation as an argument. I'm about as pro gun as they come, i'm just voicing my opinion on keeping one in the chamber.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
ok, but now you are being too literal with the definition of a safety device. Your weapon is designed to kill, your seatbelt is designed for safety. You can't kill someone from 200ft away with your seatbelt can you?

A seatbelt won't save your life 100% of the time, Just like one bullet won't always kill someone.

BTW, don't take this conversation as an argument. I'm about as pro gun as they come, i'm just voicing my opinion on keeping one in the chamber.

First off, I don't take it as an argument :)

Second, I don't train to shoot just one bullet at an attacker. I do understand your point of view on carrying without a round chambered, heck, I carried that way right after getting my permit some years ago.

I personally feel that the pros of carrying piped outweigh the cons. Everyone has a different situation and level of comfort (I don't have children and rarely un-holster my carry gun).

1 - 20 of 133 Posts