Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a setup for cleaning stuff for the XD.

I am planning on getting the TFO Truglo sights which apparently melt with some cleaners... I'm also in the bunch that cleans all over the slide and all parts with hoppes 9, which apparently is THE WRONG THING TO DO.

SO, I need to know SAFE cleaning solutions to use on them.

I'm interested in Blue Wonder stuff as well as the BreakFree CLP, but I don't know if any of these will kill the sights.

But what products should i get and where should use them (as in parts of the gun).

I never thought gun cleaning could/should be so specific!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they didn't specify, but they were talking bore cleaner which is what hoppes no 9 is, i believe...

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't use the solvent anywhere but the barrel, for the most part, and around the chamber/breechface/etc. Pretty much anywhere there is fouling caked on. This doesn't hold true for CLP, though -- I use it most everywhere.

·
Registered
242 Posts
MPro7 is the way to go. It is a non-solvent water based cleaner that does a very good job. I also use Butch's Bore Shine to disolve copper out of the barrel.

For lube I like Militec-1 and FP-10. Both do a good job of making things slippery. For spots that get grease TW-25B is the one to get.

As far as cleaning tools, I am a big fan of bore snakes. I clean the barrel with a plain patch pushed through with a plain rod with the plastic jag on the end. Just spray some MPro7 in there and run a couple of patches through. Then spray some more MPro7 in and run the bore snake through. Follow with a dry patch, and inspect. If necessary I run a few patches through with Butch's on it, and use a phosphor bronze brush.

An old toothbrush works well to get into the rail grooves and to clean the breach face.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I agree wit MP Pro7. I use both the spray and the gell. After I am finished wiht the bore cleaning I run a patch soaked with CLP through it an let it sit a few minutes before running a dry patch through. I use CLP on all other parts of the gun. Once in a while I use BreakFree bore cleaning foam to get rid of copper fouling. All is good stuff.

Right now I am also testing a product I got by mail as a sample, Militec-1. You can get a sample by mail from their website, www.militec-1.com . So far it works great. It has been tested in Iraq by several military units and is supposed to be better then CLP for lubrication. It bonds to the metal and creates a dry lubrication imbeded in the metal and wil not choke up on dust and sand like CLP. Their words, not mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
o.k.

thanks for the help so far.

what i want is to seriously reduce the number of chemicals that i need to clean the gun. when i say gun, i mean ALL parts of the gun (outside of the slide, in the action, inside the barrel, etc.)

i am planning on using armadillo as an extra protection, but i would like to know (if there is such a thing), a cleaner that is both effective and safe for use on the entire gun, AND will not eat TFO Truglo sights.

these are some of the cleaners mentioned here in this thread and in some others...

MPro7
Butch's Bore Shine
Hoppes No. 9
Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner
Eezox
Rubbing Alcohol
GunScrubber
CLP
BreakFree CLP
Bracleen
PowderBlast
RemOil
etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
From your list, I would say that MPro7 is safe and effective to use on the entire gun. (The only caveat is that it will remove some varnish like finishes on wood, so test it before using it on wood grip panels or long guns).

Butch's is specifically a copper remover and it has an ammonia smell to it. I do not use it anywhere except inside the barrel. I doubt it is safe for TFO sights.

Silicone spray lube would be safe to spray in the mag well of the gun and to use to lube magazines. It is my preferred magazine lube product. I don't know if the carrier in the aerosol is safe for TFO's so I wouldn't spray the outside of the slide with it.

Militec-1 and FP-10 are great lubes and I use them to wipe down the outside of the metal slides on my firearms, and then dry wipe them with a rag to leave as little as possible, so as to provide rust protection but not attract dirt. Personally, I use caution with any solvent based product near my TFOs, although I think oils are probably pretty safe. If you are using Armadillo for rust protection I would similarly use caution near the TFOs, although it might be perfectly safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts