Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about xmas for my boyfriend that I live with. We have a 3rd story that the previous owners of the house finished out the attic. I call that his man cave, up there he reloads, has his own tv, dvd, and all kinds of other manly toys.

So my idea was that the room has two walk in closets that have that are filled with my junk. If I could clean one out and make it like his gun closet. I could put a lock on the door, and a good display of all his favorite toys, that way they are safe, orderly and most important: not under our bed in our room.

Do y'all have anything that you would consider "a must" for such a room/closet?

Any suggestions would help, but most of all, if it is a dumb idea please tell me that too.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
To me the most important thing would be the door. Don't want all that cool stuff and someone just can kick in the door. And, if he is in and out of it all the time you get tired of locking and unlocking the door all the time, get a special lock on it like a fingerprint lock or key pad or something. Other then that just things to hold the rifles, and handguns and shelves and stuff. It is a good idea. I have a walk in closet I never really use and have thought about making at big walk in safe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think it sounds cool. Maybe I'll do that in our spare room...
The only complaint I have with my actual gun safe is no place to really store ammo or many pistols (easily anyway). I like the fingerprint lock idea! I think he would love it.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
You sound like a pretty awesome woman.

Yeah definitely get a solid core door, and if you can reinforce the jamb. As for what you asking what would be cool to be in there? What kind of things are you thinking? Gun paraphenilia? like clocks, or banners, or pictures?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i really like the fingerprint lock too, but unfortunately times are tough and I'm forced back to part time at my job, so cash is very limited right now. I was thinking that this would be a cheap way to show him how much i love him.

Im pretty good with a saw and stuff, i've built shelves before so i figured i could go to the home depot and buy/make everything on my own. I can probably swing for a beefed up door, and lock.

I was also thinking I could build a hide-a-key box to secure under his workbench that the reloading press is on. That way he can unlock the closet while he is up there and lock it before he leaves and not worry about loosing the key (which he would do), and nobody else could see it.

Is there a color for a gun room that you guys would like to see? I was thinking about painting it camo? or should i just leave it white?

And what kind or shelves? Just long wide ones that i can lay his rifles and shot guns on? the wall to the left is long enough for that, and the back wall could hold all his pistols. the wall to the right has a door with a crawl space to the attic so that wall is kinda taken.

thanks for the help, please keep the ideas coming!!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Man you just got love TEXAS women they know how to treat there men. Great idea Katy I like the camo paint idea.:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well camo is great, but if you want to go a little easier, my husband always loves hunter green. Check out ebay, I have seen some fingerprint locks on there reasonable. Use bidnapper and you may be able to get one very reasonable. If not the hide a key is a good idea. I would recommend buying some fleece or something soft from the discount bin at the fabric store and covering a couple of the shelves. Also I wish there was some way to insure fire proof, but I don't know of anyway right off.

BTW my husband just said your local builder supply has something called concrete board? That helps with the fire proof part somewhat. He states that nothing is 100% fireproof after a certain temp. ALso he says it is pretty reasonaly priced.
Also he says to find a local welder that you know well. He may be able to take a regular door and modify it a bit for a reasonable price. He warns to be sure you can trust the person because sometimes they jack the prices up.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Well it sounds to me you just want to dress up the closet. Since you are strapped for cash, I would suggest a couple of things. I would either find camo print material or a sand tone from Walmart. Cover the interior of the closet with that using a stapler or hot glue gun. They also make verticle gun racks that can be easily installed. Maybe install a shelf that could support ammo or hand guns. For about $50 or less, he could have an closet, LATER he could add some security features. If there are currently under the bed, a security issue is not pressing. Oh, on the inside of the door, see if you can install something to hold targets, news papers, magazine, or the back of the door could be the pistol rack!! Make sure you get pictures of the completed process!!

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. You might look at some current safe configurations (go to bottom of page) to see how they usually look. As for laying the long guns down, you can get a lot more in there if you stand them up on end.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
For handgun storage, check out these hangers:

Home

Their prices are a bit high, but well worth it unless you have a lot more time than money. If you are industrious enough, I'm sure you could make a similar option yourself. I suggest looking at the heavy gauge wire hangers (slacks) that are open on one end, and bending it to clamp onto a shelf, or somehow attaching it to a wall (just be sure to coat or cover the part that would slide into the barrel).

These hangers are what I'm talking about:

Also, the rifle rods seem to be nothing more than plastic rods with velcro on the ends... again, you could make a similar storage method if you were so inclined.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
You know, this does sound like a good idea, I have an extra closet, maybe I should do something like that too... hummm I could put in a spot for the electronics and hunting gear.. Sounds like a project coming on...

·
Registered
133 Posts
You know, this does sound like a good idea, I have an extra closet, maybe I should do something like that too... hummm I could put in a spot for the electronics and hunting gear.. Sounds like a project coming on...
Exactly what I'm thinking the possibilities are endless... and I have two whole spare rooms with closets... just imagine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Katy- let me know if I can help you. My grandmother has an attic full of fabrics that I'm sure we could find an acceptable one if you need it for shelves.
Good luck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well it sounds to me you just want to dress up the closet.

Yeah that is all I'm really trying to do. This is like macaroni art on a larger scale.;)

I like the fabric ideas. That way he can take it down if he doesn't like it. His step dad is a wood crafts man by trade and has offered to help with different shelve/racks or what ever we think will best suit the situation. His step dad is also an avid hunter as well so he can give me a good perspective as well.

For Water-Man who said I should make sure he really wants this before I do it. Sorry man, it is a xmas present if he doesn't like it he can take it all down and put the guns back under the bed. I think he will be happy that I did not go out and buy some random thing that that he may or may not like, and that I put my heart it to it, or maybe that is me just being a dumb girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dale, Ill let you know.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I don't know if this has already been said, but a lock is only as good as the door it's installed in. If he's going to have a gun room with a lock, maybe upgrade the door the a very sturdy and strong one?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts