Springfield XD Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Awesome job! I cannot shoot like that. I have a decent kit so I can reliably say I need a bunch of practice.
Thank you. Until I did it yesterday, I didn't think I could shoot like that either. I don't know for certain I can do it again but I'll admit I've been thinking about trying to go again tonight.

I dropped a ton of money into building my .308 and figured it was time to get serious about using it as it should be used or pick up a different hobby. I can see how guys get hooked on this now.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Thank you. Until I did it yesterday, I didn't think I could shoot like that either. I don't know for certain I can do it again but I'll admit I've been thinking about trying to go again tonight.

I dropped a ton of money into building my .308 and figured it was time to get serious about using it as it should be used or pick up a different hobby. I can see how guys get hooked on this now.
I need to get back into shooting my bolt action 223 again... hopefully post a couple good scores or at least attempts here.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Nice shooting Bopper!

Went into work for about 4 hours super early this morning. Got done and had a few hours to kill before reporting for my regular shift. I tried to shoot the open sight division with my Mossberg 44US-D .22lr.

It went ok but I need to file down the front peep sight blade. The front post completely covered my 1" target stickers at 50yds. Lol.

Maybe that gun should just stay a "minute of pigeon" gun. It fills that niche really well. Lol.

Reactions: 100968

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
So, here's what I got today, just one group of five (I forgot to get this target up in time before it was getting too dark).

100 yards, Sig M400E, Aimpoint P.R.O. with Primary Arms 3x magnifier, Winchester white box 55-grain .556.

It is what it is, lol.

Does anyone have a link to the group-finder software app?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
So I found OnTarget Precision Calculator, and have my target inputted into it, but...I can't seem to get the hole outlines to show up after I input them. It shows I have five holes, but it doesn't give me the calculations.

Anyone use this software?

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
So I found OnTarget Precision Calculator, and have my target inputted into it, but...I can't seem to get the hole outlines to show up after I input them. It shows I have five holes, but it doesn't give me the calculations.

Anyone use this software?
Here's a quick tutorial. Since it's quick, I'm not going to include screenshots, so just follow along.
  1. Open OnTarget
  2. Open a new Target GFX file by clicking the New icon on the toolbar (looks like a page with a target on it) or clicking File -> New
  3. Import your target image by clicking the Open Image File icon on the toolbar (icon shows blue sky and brown hill) or clicking File -> Open Image (image file must be in .jpg, .bmp, .tif or .png format)
  4. The image file will open and Group 1 will already be created in the tool pane to the right of the OnTarget program window.
  5. In the tool pane to the right, be sure to select the correct Target Distance and Hole Size in the respective drop-down menu. (Protip: .223Rem and 5.56NATO have a bullet hole size of .224". This info is easily found in reloading manuals or on sites such as Accurate Shooter's ammo info pages)
  6. Begin inputting your hits on target by clicking the Input Bullet Holes icon on the toolbar (appears as a circle with an arrow pointing to a single hole in it), or clicking Tools -> Input Bullet Holes. You may need to click on your target image once before your cursor turn into a circle with a crosshair in it. Once this cursor appears, you're ready to input your hits.
  7. While inputting your hits, you can simplify the task and make your results more accurate by zooming in on the target. Remember that you're trying to put your bullet hole over the "grease rings" that were left on the target when your bullet passed through it. To zoom in, click the Zoom In icon on the toolbar (appears as a magnifying glass with a + symbol in it) or clicking View -> Zoom In. You can center your image in the program window by using the scroll wheel on your mouse (if so equipped) or clicking and dragging the horizontal and vertical bars in the window.
  8. If you mis-click a bullet hole, you can click the Move Bullet Holes icon on the toolbar (appears as a blue circle with an arrow pointing outside of the circle) or click Tools -> Edit Bullet Hole. Make your changes and move on to the next step.
  9. Once you have completed entering your bullet holes for that group, right click to clear the Input Bullet Hole status from your cursor, or click the Input Bullet Holes icon on the toolbar. The target graphic should update and show the default display values for your group (Max group size in inches and MOA, Average to group center in inches and MOA, and distance to target with overall group size height/width in inches.
  10. Export this project as an image you can host and share on the web by clicking File -> Save View as Graphic, then select your local file save destination and file name. Default settings will create a jpeg graphic named TrgGfx.jpg in the same directory you imported your target graphic from.
  11. Host your target image file on one of the many picture hosting sites, and post the image here on the forum.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Thanks, John. I swear I was doing it right yesterday, but I obviously wasn't :mrgreen:

I went ahead and started from scratch, with your instructions, and all was well. I knew I wanted .224 diameter, but I wonder if I didn't click on the holes right yesterday.

Anyway, here's the target with the OnTarget calculations. This is fun, and I'll definitely be doing more of it as my buddy and I will start shooting our first reloads in the next couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how they go compared to the basic WWB 55-grain stuff I have a lot of.

I also think I need to get a new battery for the Aimpoint. I noticed I had to click it up way higher than normal to see it, and when it gets past 5 or so clicks it gets fuzzy. At 100 yds, the stock 2MOA would pretty much cover up the center diamond anyway.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
any chance you software guys could run my grouping on post # 97, of course on some down time or when you are fooling with the program already. Thanks appreciated. And no worries if no one does it.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
not bad for a red dot at 100. hell with a 2 moA dot you really shot well.
Thanks, I thought that was pretty good, especially for me, lol...

One of my shooting mentors is a retired devildog. When I first started out, he insisted I learn breathing and sight picture on iron sights out to 100 or so yards...I credit him for getting me focused on the fundamentals before I spent money on the other stuff. In his '60s he still out-shoots me without all my "fancy hardware."

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I am a bit rusty so tonight was a very welcome surprise.

Recreation Shooting sport

I won't be submitting this as an official entry but I am pleased with the results.

0.533, 0.469, 0.521, 0.589, 0.436, 0.989, 0.729, 0.454, 0.678

10 groups, averages 0.540MOA

What makes this even more impressive is that this was 10 different charge weights, from 23.5gr to 26.2gr of CFE223, loaded behind a 69gr SMK in an LC'13 case.

Let me know what you think!

101 - 117 of 117 Posts