Springfield XD Forum banner
41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Where are you getting powder at? I've been on a manhunt for mainly pistol powder, but I have a few hundred 223 cases I could work on

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Think taylorjr was referencing that Alliant Reloder 15 is easy to find right now. I've been seeing it almost everyday when I check on gunbot. It's a great powder if you're pushing heavier bullets like the 69 and 77 Sierra Match Kings. Pistol powder on the hand, like you said, is still a challenge to find.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Think taylorjr was referencing that Alliant Reloder 15 is easy to find right now. I've been seeing it almost everyday when I check on gunbot. It's a great powder if you're pushing heavier bullets like the 69 and 77 Sierra Match Kings. Pistol powder on the hand, like you said, is still a challenge to find.
Ya, I want to know if he's finding it locally! Him and I are only about 30 min apart

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Nice work, man! Shooting at Bullseye? I can tell by the carpeted rest. Lol

Yes sir, Friday nights are really slow there. It's nice.

Where are you getting powder at? I've been on a manhunt for mainly pistol powder, but I have a few hundred 223 cases I could work on

Bullseye/Bullet Stop don't have much pistol powder. I saw some AA#7 at Bullseye though last night. I see a lot of rifle powders everywhere. I also look at Finley's Hobbies, which is at Central and Edgemoor.

I've also been thinking about making the trip down to Powder Valley in Winfield.

taylorjr,

Nice shooting. I've been waiting to hear how you like Reloder 15. Maybe I missed it, but I think this is the first time I've seen you post results using it. I run my 20" 1 in 8 SS barrel AR using 24.5 gr of Reloder 15 pushing 69 SMK's. My other 20" AR is a 1 in 7 SS barrel and I run 23.8 gr of Reloder 15 pushing 77 SMK's. Another extruded powder I use is IMR 8208XBR. Been using this a lot in my 16" AR. Still need to do some more work up with it in my 20" AR's. Love the SMK's but also been running Nosler Custom Competition bullets a lot this summer. Anyways, just wanted to say I'm glad you like the powder and congrats on your shooting.
Thanks man. I did a workup comparison between Varget and R15 in my AR just last weekend, and forgot the thread where we talked about doing a comparison. I never really found very good accuracy with Varget, but this Reloader 15 load is dead nuts on if I do my part.

Ya, I want to know if he's finding it locally! Him and I are only about 30 min apart

I'm finding a lot of rifle powders locally. Haven't done much pistol shooting in a long time. Need to switch back soon though, I'm waaaaay out of practice.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hmm... I'll print a few sets of these and see how poorly I can do. It'll be Div. 1, Unlimited. I'll give it a roll with the 5.56 but you's guys are in trouble when the Mega .308 gets here.. (now, let's see how badly I can embarrass myself).

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
damn it i tried, and i was doing REALLY REALLY WELL until i got a flier on nearly EVERY TARGET.

If only i could dock a round per target. 4 instead of 5... oh well, gonna have to get the varget rounds out. This was 24 gr of TAC capped with a 77gr SMK.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Solid attempt Knight! Like you said it looks like just 1 major flier per group.

As if any of us need an excuse, more trigger time will bring those fliers in. ;)

I tried to improve my original submission a few days ago and the result was dismal. My groups were all about 1.3". Not sure what I was doing but I'd like to get out and try once more before the weather starts getting too cold...

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Solid attempt Knight! Like you said it looks like just 1 major flier per group.

As if any of us need an excuse, more trigger time will bring those fliers in. ;)

I tried to improve my original submission a few days ago and the result was dismal. My groups were all about 1.3". Not sure what I was doing but I'd like to get out and try once more before the weather starts getting too cold...
the fliers on tgts 3, 4, & 5 were all equidistant from the group at the same o'clock. i donno what that is, but it wasn't me!

[/excuse]

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
the fliers on tgts 3, 4, & 5 were all equidistant from the group at the same o'clock. i donno what that is, but it wasn't me!

[/excuse]

Definitely possible that is your coldbore shot. Yeah, let's stick with that.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
LOL I wish! My cold bore shots were all at 1 o'clock on the first target. by then i had 10 rounds through the barrel and it wasn't cold no mo'. well, the barrel is a pretty fat barrel... There's a lot going on there. it seemed that every third shot per target went low and right. I didn't allow my barrel to cool at all so it's not heat. I THINK what had happened is that the blast chamber on the Kestrel unscrewed a bit allowing the baffles to wiggle because when i took it apart i had to screw it down a tad. That doesn't explain why it was always the third shot though... well, it seemed that way anyway. maybe it was just a coincidence...

Doesn't look like i'll be able to hit the range today, got some weather rolling in. damn...

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
YES!

I'm on the board! ...and I bumped taylorjr... (ke! ke! ke!) Target 4... that was three consecutive shots... so, so close... Here's the goodies:

SPR Unlimited
Knightslugger, Anderson, Custom 18", 223 Wylde, Krieger Barrel, SSA-E, HTA 556, Simmons 2.8-10x44, 0.756, 0.786, 1.544, 0.963, 0.957, 1.001

Attachments

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
^ looking good Knight. What was the load?

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
^ looking good Knight. What was the load?
77gr SMK over 24gr of RL15, WSR primer, Nosler CC Case, 1.750" CL, 2.255" COAL

I'm going to throttle it down a little bit and see how that fairs. seems after it fouls up after 10 shots or so that it shoots a bit low and right. I'll leave it dirty and load some at 23.9 shoot a target 23.8 shoot a target, 23.7 and shoot a target... see if they get any tighter.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Try tearing your meniscus and shooting standing up.

I'll kick your ass next time!
standing up? I wanna see what you can do sitting down man, if that was free stand unsupported!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

I'm going to throttle it down a little bit and see how that fairs. seems after it fouls up after 10 shots or so that it shoots a bit low and right. I'll leave it dirty and load some at 23.9 shoot a target 23.8 shoot a target, 23.7 and shoot a target... see if they get any tighter.
Nice shooting Knight. I run my 20" Criterion barrel upper using 23.8 gr of RL-15 pushing 77 SMK's. When I shoot 69 SMK's I use 24.5 gr. I really like RL-15 and its been my primary powder when I'm shooting Highpower. Been using IMR 8208 XBR a lot this summer in my 16" but still need to do some work on it in my 20" AR's.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts

As I said, very nice. Also, I like your spotting scope in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Can my POS play, too? Who needs FFHG's, Krieger 20" match-grade barrels and handloads? Just verified the rifle's up to the task if I can keep my crap in the same bag...

Wish I didn't have this flier, but Federal GMM 69gr SMK's seem to fly out of this POS pretty well, too!

Time to work up some loads with the 69gr SMK's and see what it can really do. :D

41 - 60 of 117 Posts