Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After some brief discussion about rules and class structure, we're ready to get this goin. Same basic concept as the Arfcom structure. Here are the rules:

Measurements are outside grease ring to outside grease ring, minus the bullet diameter.

No bench rests. You can use sand bags, but you must retain full active control of of the rear of the rifle, eg pinching a sand bag to raise or lower the buttstock.

Your score is an average of the 5 groups, meaning you can shoot four .5 MOA groups, and one 2 MOA group and still qualify as a MOA shooter for scoring.

Any targets submitted for review must have a date and shooter's forum moniker marked on it somehow. Use the attached targets. Make sure your camera's date and time are set correctly, otherwise someone might call BS on you for posting an old image. Spot checking is encouraged. This will be done on your honor. Do not cheat.

All targets submitted must have all five groups on one contiguous sheet of paper and be shot on the same day. No multi-day sessions.

Only one rifle per entry. the same person can enter in the same Div/Class, but it must be with an entirely different rifle.

If you shoot better later on, please update your entry. DO NOT CREATE A NEW ENTRY or your scoring will be deleted for both entries. Best target counts.

There will be 2 divisions:

Division 1
Autoloaders (any auto reloading rifle, gas or piston operated)

(50yd SPR Limited) - any optic with a reticle - unmagnified (variable power optics are disqualified)
(50yd Iron) - Open Iron Sights only
(100yd SPR Unlimited) - any optic allowed.

Division 2
Singleshot (any single shot mode rifle)

(50yd SPR Limited) - any optic with a reticle - unmagnified (variable power optics are disqualified)
(50yd Iron) - Open Iron Sights only
(100yd SPR Unlimited) - any optic allowed.

Submit your targets here by attaching them to your post.

Use calipers or some sort of ruler to measure your groups. This program will work well (free trial) On Target Precision Calculator

Your post here must be in this format:

Division/Class, Username, Rifle make, model, chambering, notable modifications, aiming device used, Group 1 measurement, Group 2 measurement, Group 3 measurement, Group 4 measurement, Group 5 measurement, Average of all five groups

copy & paste the row from Google Docs if you like. it's less work.

This competition is perpetual. It is the comp that never ends! It keeps going on and on, my friends. Some people started shooting it not knowing what they've done, and we'll keep on shooting it until nobody won because it is the comp that never ends! ...your welcome.

OFFICIAL TARGETS:

Click attachment below

Google Docs Spreadsheet for self submission: CLICK HERE

credit for targets taylorjr

good luck, and happy shooting.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Count me in! Just printed my targets out. I'll give my new BCM a shot at the 50 yard open sight category.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'll start with a BCM also. Game time!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I'm in. Going to be a while before I can get to the range. But I'll do open sights on the ar and scope on my .22

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'm in. Gas gun 100 yard unlimited

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Im in with auto loader unlimited @ 100. Ill be shooting my groups labor day. Postem then.
Gonna put em in there tight with a 16" bbl AR. Good shooting to everyone!

Possibly a bolt unlimited 100 also?? Not to sure if I feel like shooting 308 that much lol. Play that one by ear.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Im in with auto loader unlimited @ 100. Ill be shooting my groups labor day. Postem then.
Gonna put em in there tight with a 16" bbl AR. Good shooting to everyone!

Possibly a bolt unlimited 100 also?? Not to sure if I feel like shooting 308 that much lol. Play that one by ear.
Division 2, Unlimited. It exists!!!!

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Well guys I tried.

Division 1, 100yd Unlimited, taylorjr, Custom AR-15 w/ Spikes lower and 16" 5.56 chamber heavy barrel, 22.1gr Benchmark and 60gr Nosler Partition Spitzer Ballistic Tip, CMC 3.5# trigger and adjustable gas block, Bushnell AR 3-12x40, 1.271", 1.336", 0.946", 1.150", 1.367", AVG = 1.214" (1.160 MOA)

Setup (had my hand over the bag and stock resting on my hand):

Target Before:

Target After:

A couple of notes: Today, I wasn't a sub MOA shooter. I believe that it was mostly my fault, I was shaky and a little dehydrated. My right knee has also been hurting (enough that I see an orthopedist Thursday) and this is a standing range. This particular load has shown to be pretty accurate, but this is the first time I have done any shooting with it outside of my initial work-up.

However, I believe fault also falls on the people at the range today, in particular the group to my left. They shot a Mosin, a .308 bolt gun, a 30-30 lever gun, and a compensated Mini14 next to me, and normally it wouldn't bother me, but they kept bringing the muzzle farther and farther back, and eventually 3 or 4 shots were right in my ear... Not the most pleasant thing in the world and it left me a little rattled, especially the Mosin blast that knocked my shooting glasses loose. I ripped into them after that one... Some people, right? :mad:

Bottom line, I didn't do my job today. Better luck next time, I'll be back!

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Once I get a shooting mat, I'll join in on this.

I mean, hey - someone's gotta be the worst shooter in the group! :lol:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Once I get a shooting mat, I'll join in on this.

I mean, hey - someone's gotta be the worst shooter in the group! :lol:
You think you can just March on in here and take my spot? We'll just see about that....

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
You think you can just March on in here and take my spot? We'll just see about that....

*Shoots like Stevie Wonder on meth*

Yeah? Beat that! :lol:

I'm looking forward to just getting back out to the range, let alone shooting a challenge. :D

·
Registered
662 Posts
Measurements are outside grease ring to outside grease ring, minus the bullet diameter.

Can I get an example of the above? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I shoot but not often enough to know.

(50yd SPR Limited)

Also what does SPR stand for? Thanks
Target Before:

Can I ask how/where you got this target? The linked targets are either all black or all orange but not both. I think this one would be a bit easier to see at these distances.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Vaderman,

When your bullet passes through the target, there should be a dark thin ring around the hole, that's called the grease ring. If you can't see it, I would just estimate where the outside edge of the bullet is and measure there.

SPR means Special Purpose Rifle

I just printed the black target, and added orange target dots that I got in a pack from Walmart. I think I could modify the black target and make a blended one, but I did it with work software, and I'm swamped at work ATM.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Vaderman,

When your bullet passes through the target, there should be a dark thin ring around the hole, that's called the grease ring. If you can't see it, I would just estimate where the outside edge of the bullet is and measure there.

SPR means Special Purpose Rifle

I just printed the black target, and added orange target dots that I got in a pack from Walmart. I think I could modify the black target and make a blended one, but I did it with work software, and I'm swamped at work ATM.
Thanks, I will see if I can find some of the target stickers.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts