Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started my CHL process past Saturday now I'm just waiting on the state. On the mean while I've been doing alot of thinking on what my conceal gun should be. First things first its gonna be an XD for sure so since I cant really conceal my XD9 service model I'm stuck on either the XDS or XDsc but there's a few questions I have.

*bang for your buck
.I can get an xdsc cheaper than an xds
.the xdsc holds way more rounds than the xds
.the xds is a single stack easier to conceal.
.which is a more comfortable to carry IWB

Can I use my 16 round mags from my xd9 on the xdsc?

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Yes, you can use the 16rd mags in the SC.

Personally, I'd just say with a good holster and belt, you can carry any gun you'd like, within reason. I carry a full sized 1911 regularly, and with no issues; if you want to carry your full sized, there's really no reason why you can't.

So, between the S and the SC...well, after all the teething issues the XDS has and, I'd stay away.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
i have both. i like both. i probably shoot the xds better. i use the xdsc for my winter carry/nightstand gun and the xds during the summer because its smaller, lighter and easier to conceal. i used to carry the xdsc year round and it conceals perfectly well under the correct clothing but the xds just disappears. xdsc has a crossbreed supertuck and xds has a crossbreed minituck.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I carry the XDSC with a crossbreed holster. Even summer carry I can conceal it well.
When I purchased this handgun I didn't think I would be able to conceal it during the summer months wearing light clothing but it does conceal well.
The trick? The holster. I feel I could carry anything with this holster. (No I do not work for Crossbreed.) This holster absolutely sticks to my side making concealment possible.
And the compact nature of the XDSC just adds to the carry comfort and concealment.
With that being said, I could conceal an XDS with the Crossbreed anytime.
Just don't like the snappier recoil of the XDS and lower mag capacity, personally.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Like Cuda said, even full sized pistols can be carried concealed, if you try.

I have carried my 5.25" XD(m) concealed, but it's sure not easy.

Smaller guns are obviously easier.

I have a .45 XDS, and a 9mm XD(m) compact that I regularly carry.

One carries 5 + 1 .45 ACP, the other carries 13 + 1 9mm.

Your choice of carry weapon all boils down to individual choice.

Do you want high capacity, or compactness? For me, the XDS .45 is my normal concealed carry gun.

It's small enough that I hardly notice it.

BTW, the whole XDS recall thing has been a non-issue for me. Yeah, I finally had mine "fixed", but I didn't have any problems before, or after the recall.

Duane

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I carry the XDSC with a crossbreed holster. Even summer carry I can conceal it well.
When I purchased this handgun I didn't think I would be able to conceal it during the summer months wearing light clothing but it does conceal well.
The trick? The holster. I feel I could carry anything with this holster. (No I do not work for Crossbreed.) This holster absolutely sticks to my side making concealment possible.
And the compact nature of the XDSC just adds to the carry comfort and concealment.
With that being said, I could conceal an XDS with the Crossbreed anytime.
Just don't like the snappier recoil of the XDS and lower mag capacity, personally.
The lower magazine capacity on xds makes me nervous the most out of everything since you never really know what situation you can find yourself in and when that extra round with out having to drop a mag counts. Also In my area I can get the xdsc for almost $100 cheaper than an xds.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Personally, I shied away from the XDs models due to capacity. Also, the fact that I had numerous XD9 mags also made my decision easier to go with a XD9sc. Why not have a flush 13 rounder with a 16 rounder as a backup? I just didn't want to have to keep up with another mag for another platform. This is why I have XD pistols along with Glocks as far as 9mm goes.

As stated above, the right gear can make concealment comfortable. I had conceal carried the xd9 Tac model before. Nowadays, I have more options available to depending on the season and situation.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
+1 to all those opting towards the XD9SC. I really like the N82 Pro holster, even in the summer.

I'm more accurate with my SC because of the lesser felt recoil compared to the XDs. I regularly shoot 3-inch groups offhand at 10 yards, including holster drills.

13+1 is the biggest reason, though.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I carry my Xdsc 40 in an IWB Alien Gear holster and can conceal it under a very thin Under Armor loose shirt. I have worn it with a tucked in shirt and with little bit left loose over the gun nobody notices it. On days that I can get away with it I carry OWB in a Raven Phantom. I can easily conceal my gun under a suit coat with either holster. I am a fairly slender guy with a small waist. Now that summer is coming on I find myself carrying in my Alien Gear more often and can conceal fairly easy.

That being said I am considering an XDs 9mm for a second carry gun. The choice is a little bit easier for me as my flush fit mag on my XDsc holds 9 rounds of .40 and the flush fit mag on the XDs 9mm holds 7 rounds. The big difference is that my full size mag for my XDsc holds 12 vs. another 7 rounder or a 9 rounder for the XDs. If I do end up purchasing an XDs I will probably pick up an extended mag for it to have as my backup mag. The main reason I am even considering an XDs is I want a little bit thinner gun for times when I need deeper concealment.

Getting a good gun belt and a good holster will go a long way in allowing you to conceal a bigger gun a little easier. Granted the smaller thinner guns will conceal easier but you lose capacity.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Both are in my carry rotation. The slightly slimmer and lighter XDs is easier, especially in warm weather when lighter clothing is worn.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Being new to conceal carry, your learning pretty fast, that you can't have everything wrapped into just 1 pistol. And if your anything like most of us here, conceal carrying is about finding a tolerable comfortableness.

Both guns have merit and a specific purpose. Learning to dress around your gun, and finding a tolerable holster during your rookie season, is right of passage. I will agree with others above, IMOP, the XDsc is your best bet for your Maiden voyage.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Well someone has to be contrarian so I guess it's me.

I found that I didn't like carrying big or heavy guns so I would wind up not carrying it on days I didn't want to dress around my holster. I've had an XDsc and it was a fine gun, but I carry an XDs regularly. I'm really accurate with the XDs and it is a super easy gun to conceal in a hybrid IWB holster. It's thin, light, and most of the time I hardly know it's on. With a larger gun I'm constantly adjusting the holster as it likes to pull my pants down on the side of the holster or I have to tighten the belt so much it's not comfortable.

Everyone will conceal and carry differently, this is just how it works for me. But I'd go with the XDs no question about it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I decided to go with the xdsc almost decided on a .40 too but I mind aswell keep it a 9mm to match my xd9sm that I already have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well someone has to be contrarian so I guess it's me.

I found that I didn't like carrying big or heavy guns so I would wind up not carrying it on days I didn't want to dress around my holster. I've had an XDsc and it was a fine gun, but I carry an XDs regularly. I'm really accurate with the XDs and it is a super easy gun to conceal in a hybrid IWB holster. It's thin, light, and most of the time I hardly know it's on. With a larger gun I'm constantly adjusting the holster as it likes to pull my pants down on the side of the holster or I have to tighten the belt so much it's not comfortable.

Everyone will conceal and carry differently, this is just how it works for me. But I'd go with the XDs no question about it.
The only thing keeping me from getting the xds is # of rounds it holds but mainly because of the negative reviews of previous owners n the whole recall thing. Like the single stack though

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
The only thing keeping me from getting the xds is # of rounds it holds but mainly because of the negative reviews of previous owners n the whole recall thing. Like the single stack though
XDSC is a good gun so no worries.

I can tell you my XDs has been flawless after thousands of rounds before and after the recall and I've got 8 rounds in the gun and a 9 round mag in my pocket. I can live with that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Being new to conceal carry, your learning pretty fast, that you can't have everything wrapped into just 1 pistol. And if your anything like most of us here, conceal carrying is about finding a tolerable comfortableness.

Both guns have merit and a specific purpose. Learning to dress around your gun, and finding a tolerable holster during your rookie season, is right of passage. I will agree with others above, IMOP, the XDsc is your best bet for your Maiden voyage.

Agree with most posts here, but mostly with this one.

You need to decide which is more important for you, having a gun that fits the way you operate already, or carrying the gun(s) you feel are the best option and finding a way to successfully pull it off.

I am 5'10", 200lbs and have no issues concealing the XDsc in a Galco King Tuk (Crossbread clone). I usually wear an undershirt and then a t-shirt or (my favorite for cc) light weight short sleeve button up (hangs nice and straight without catching or gathering). I chose capacity and adjusted my style (if I even have/had one) accordingly.

I suggest working with it and just not getting into the mindset that it has to be a certain way. Feel it out for you, try different clothing, trying different carry positions, etc... As Tim Gunn says, "Make it work" :mrgreen:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I carry a XD9sc in a Theis virtually every day and love it. It conceals well, even in shirt and tie, and I love the capacity. I carry the 13 round mag loaded, with the 17 rounder as a back up.

Like mentioned above...you need to find what works best for you. Don't be afraid to try out a few gun/holster combinations if you have friends who will let you play with their babies. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I carry a xd9sc in an Aliengear 3.0 when wearing jeans. I haven't tried it with any shorts. Am a little concerned. Might have to switch to my CW380 Kahr or my wife's CM9 Kahr.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I carry a xd9sc in an Aliengear 3.0 when wearing jeans. I haven't tried it with any shorts. Am a little concerned. Might have to switch to my CW380 Kahr or my wife's CM9 Kahr.
I love my Kahr's. Would be more interested in the XDs if they put the mod 2 grip on it. Oh well, I have several from each company, and they all get love for their purposes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts