Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my XDSC .40 I sometimes get a FTF on a certain type of bullet shape.

Would it hurt to use a dremel tool to open up the feed ramp area on the frame??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the Federal Personal Protection ammo (can't remember the exact one). The bullet shape was almost parallel with the case lines.It looked like it hung up right at that feed ramp area.
And thinking just widening the feed area on the frame would help.

But I'll just leave it alone for now and try shooting another box of the same ammo to see.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
It would probably be better for you to open up the feed lips on your magazines to make the rounds sit a little bit higher.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If you decide to go with the feed ramp alteration I would suggest just polishing the ramp and maybe just slightly rounding the sharp edge but not widening or expanding the freed ramp.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Please, please please think twice and three times before taking a Dremel tool to any gun, ever. I use the Federal Personal Protection 180gr Hydrashoks, and have never had a problem from them. I'd concur w/ The Tengu and try messing with the magazine lips first.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Like MrOw1 said don't use a dremel do it by hand. It's slow and time consuming but it's also the only way to make sure you don't mess up.
Better yet send it to SA and have them polish it for you.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have read many similar posts here and at other sites comparing the use of a Dremel to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Let's be specific. Using a Dremel with FELT tip and a little polishing compound applied, e.g. Flitz is not going to harm your precious barrel if used sensibly. If anything, if will improve feed reliability in a heretofore unreliable barrel. What you don't want to do is alter the geometry of your feedramp. Gently polishing back and forth at 3-5K RPM is suggested - feedramp, hood, and chamber. Another misconception is that the shinier the finish the more "work" that was done to the barrel. The brightness of the shine is due in large part to the chemical properties of the polish. It doesn't take much to acheive a mirror shine with Flitz, non-abraisive polish.

I have polished all my barrels - Glocks, SA, Keltecs, Kahr in this manner. All feed 100 percent reliably, zero problems to date. In fact, I guarantee, if you don't polish the barrel of a Keltec P3AT, your chances of feed and extraction problems are multiplied significantly.

So let's be sensible about this. There is a big difference between chopping off metal with a Dremel and steel bit vs. and polishing with a felt tip and a little polishing compound.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Kraigster, I agree, but it is very easy to get carried away and do serious damage in a very short period of time with a Dremel. I personally prefer to play it safe and do it by hand. However, if you (you in genereal, not you personally) have experience with a Dremel, and you're comfortable with the operation, go ahead.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
mr0w1 said:
Heh. "When is absolutely, positively has to be [email protected] up as fast as possible -- Dremel".
You must be more tool-challenged than me and that's hard to believe.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use both the 180 grain and the 135 grain. The 135 is the personal protection ammo and it is more rounded than the 180 grain so it fed better. But I still haven't had a problem with either one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
kraigster414 said:
I have read many similar posts here and at other sites comparing the use of a Dremel to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Let's be specific. Using a Dremel with FELT tip and a little polishing compound applied, e.g. Flitz is not going to harm your precious barrel if used sensibly. If anything, if will improve feed reliability in a heretofore unreliable barrel. What you don't want to do is alter the geometry of your feedramp. Gently polishing back and forth at 3-5K RPM is suggested - feedramp, hood, and chamber. Another misconception is that the shinier the finish the more "work" that was done to the barrel. The brightness of the shine is due in large part to the chemical properties of the polish. It doesn't take much to acheive a mirror shine with Flitz, non-abraisive polish.

I have polished all my barrels - Glocks, SA, Keltecs, Kahr in this manner. All feed 100 percent reliably, zero problems to date. In fact, I guarantee, if you don't polish the barrel of a Keltec P3AT, your chances of feed and extraction problems are multiplied significantly.

So let's be sensible about this. There is a big difference between chopping off metal with a Dremel and steel bit vs. and polishing with a felt tip and a little polishing compound.
The above post is correct.That is the first thing I have done to all my autos and never had a feed problem.I will add I use slide-glide for lube,I have not been able to make it fail by limp wristing but you will have to use a heavy recoil spring if you use it.It is so slick it will throw wimpy ammo thirty feet with the factory spring.

Ed

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
blackpanther said:
kraigster414 said:

The above post is correct.That is the first thing I have done to all my autos and never had a feed problem.I will add I use slide-glide for lube,I have not been able to make it fail by limp wristing but you will have to use a heavy recoil spring if you use it.It is so slick it will throw wimpy ammo thirty feet with the factory spring.

Ed
It kind of bothers me that you read this time in and time out with no real qualifier added as to what is too much polishing or what techniques to avoid. Polishing as a practice is not inherently bad or dangerous. A couple of minutes with a Dremel, felt tip, and non-abraisive polishing compound is not going to do harm. There is "Dremeling" and there is "Dremeling." We need to be a little more precise IMHO. Personaly, I think you run the risk of doing more harm with abraisive sandpaper, albeit fine, e.g., grade 4, 8, or 6 if you go hog wild. Moderation is the key.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mr0w1 said:
Kraigster, I agree, but it is very easy to get carried away and do serious damage in a very short period of time with a Dremel.
As Kraigster said.. we are talking about a polishing felt tip with rouge/compound.. it would take you HOURS to cause any determanable changes to the shape of the feed ramp.

As Kraigster outlined, you can easily put a shine on the feed ramp with a little bit of polish but.. to get a good even smooth shine, you need to work on it a bit. (no I don't mean hours or changing the shape).. the more often you "touch it up" the clearer the reflection will get over time, this is all the micro abrasions on the feed ramp being removed so it's smoother.. this is what you want.. a nice even crisp mirror like relection.. you do not need to change the angle in any way to do this.

sure if you use a sand paper bit or a cut off wheel, you can screw it up, but no one is suggesting that.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Why does it have to shoot the Federal? There's a lot of other good ammo out there. I'd just use Gold Dot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts