Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm sure this topic has been explored, but what is the recoil on the 40 cal XDsc vs that of the 9mm? I have an XD40 Service Model and the recoil is pretty substantial but manageable for me. I am planning on getting the XD subcompact for EDC, but torn between the calibers. All responses appreciated.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
40 is my favorite rounds.. But that's me... I can shoot it more accurate than 9 all day.. No matter what gun( 40sc vs 9sc and g19 vs 23) if you have a 40 and like it get the 40sc... Won't be too big of a difference!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I don't like the .40. It has a snap to it.

If the recoil to you in the full size is substantial, what do you think the recoil will be in the sub? I'm thinking more substantial. XD's have a pretty high bore axis, so that recoil is going to be more flip than other subs, keep that in mind. I would go with the 9.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I own both the XD9SC and the XD40SC. My EDC is the 9 - why?

The 9 holds (with the Pearce mag extension, 14+1. The 40 (with the same extension) holds 10+1.

Even though the 40 recoil is completely controllable, the 9 is slightly MORE controllable, allowing faster, more accurate followups.

The difference in the ballistics is negligible, so the obvious choice is the 9 for me.
I've tricked mine out with a PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit, TruGlo TFO sights, a Pearce +1 mag extension, and a Paccy rubber grip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own both the XD9SC and the XD40SC. My EDC is the 9 - why?

The 9 holds (with the Pearce mag extension, 14+1. The 40 (with the same extension) holds 10+1.

Even though the 40 recoil is completely controllable, the 9 is slightly MORE controllable, allowing faster, more accurate followups.

The difference in the ballistics is negligible, so the obvious choice is the 9 for me.
I've tricked mine out with a PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit, TruGlo TFO sights, a Pearce +1 mag extension, and a Paccy rubber grip.

There's a Pachmayr rubber grip for XDsc?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been leaning toward the XD9sc because of the capacity, but distracted by the stopping power of the XD40sc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I eedc a shield 40 and I have no problem controlling the recoil. To me the difference in recoil with a 9 vs a 40 is nil. Dont really get why some say it is so snappy. My 120 lb wife handles her shield 40 just fine.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have the XDsc 40 with a modified Pierce grip extension. It is not the extension that adds capacity and I have modified it so that it is just enough to get my full pinky on it. Without this extension there is a pretty substantial muzzle flip. With this extension it is very controllable. I was actually surprised when I shot the XDs 45 3.3 with no grip extension in the same range session as I shot my XDsc .40 with no grip extension. The recoil was very similar between the two guns. I went with the XDs 9mm for several reasons and am very happy with the 9mm round. To be fair my brother has a Taurus 24/7 .40 with a 5 inch barrel. I shot my .40 with a 3 inch barrel and his side by side. His actually has more muzzle flip with mine even where his has a full size grip and mine only has a Pierce Grip extension.

Although I am happy with my .40 if I had to make the choice again I might actually consider the XDsc 9mm. If you do get the XDsc .40 to me the Pierce Grip extension is almost a necessity to make the gun more controllable and make it into a good shooter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the XDsc 40 with a modified Pierce grip extension. It is not the extension that adds capacity and I have modified it so that it is just enough to get my full pinky on it. Without this extension there is a pretty substantial muzzle flip. With this extension it is very controllable. I was actually surprised when I shot the XDs 45 3.3 with no grip extension in the same range session as I shot my XDsc .40 with no grip extension. The recoil was very similar between the two guns. I went with the XDs 9mm for several reasons and am very happy with the 9mm round. To be fair my brother has a Taurus 24/7 .40 with a 5 inch barrel. I shot my .40 with a 3 inch barrel and his side by side. His actually has more muzzle flip with mine even where his has a full size grip and mine only has a Pierce Grip extension.

Although I am happy with my .40 if I had to make the choice again I might actually consider the XDsc 9mm. If you do get the XDsc .40 to me the Pierce Grip extension is almost a necessity to make the gun more controllable and make it into a good shooter.
I'm gonna be getting the same extension for the same reason. I'm leaning more toward the 9mm bc of the capacity. I just wanna make sure it'll stop a dude. I'd be using +p as my defensive rounds anyways.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
I'm gonna be getting the same extension for the same reason. I'm leaning more toward the 9mm bc of the capacity. I just wanna make sure it'll stop a dude. I'd be using +p as my defensive rounds anyways.
I like the GDHP 124g +p in my XDSC 9mm.

I've shot the .40, and didn't mind the extra snap (which was less than I thought it would be), but my follow-up shots are faster and more accurate with the 9, and the extra capacity is more important than perceived extra stopping power.

I have yet to try the Underwood 147g +p+, but if those work out, I'd not feel outgunned in a SD situation.

Just my .02

·
Registered
390 Posts
I see no real world advantage that the 40cal has over the 9x19mm given proper ammo and there are a few disadvantages. Heavier recoil(I think even more then a 45acp) less rounds, can be harder to find ammo(unless you're LEO or Government) more expensive ammo.
Nope, sorry, for me the 9x19mm is all that I need and if I feel the need for something bigger then I'll go 45acp. I personally think the 40cal was an answer to a problem that never did exist.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey guys! I'm sure this topic has been explored, but what is the recoil on the 40 cal XDsc vs that of the 9mm? I have an XD40 Service Model and the recoil is pretty substantial but manageable for me. I am planning on getting the XD subcompact for EDC, but torn between the calibers. All responses appreciated.
I am a 40SW fan for the past 20 yrs plus and think it is good in service pistols like the Sig P229, Glock 22, and so forth. Some pistols like the Sig 2022 and Ruger SR40c mitigate or reduce recoil notably, making the 40SW very mild. Recently, I shot two XDsc pistols in 9mm and 40SW, side by side at the rental range. I was surprised how nasty, snappy and obnoxious the 40SW was in XDsc pistol. This was such a surprise because I like the G27 and have no problems what-so-ever with the baby Glock. The XDsc has a heavy top, looks like a match box English Double Decker Bus on top of your hand. I am thinking that that top heavy design just produces too much torque with the 40SW. By contrast, the 9mm version of the XDsc was just perfect with minimal felt recoil, it's a nice shooting pistol. Things have changed in the past decade with some 9mm advances. Take a look at this test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COVoBwR1oww

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
The 9mm is more than adequate. I'm sure many soldiers met their demise from a 9mm.
Many criminals have also met their maker via a 9mm. I remember a story on here not that long as of a police officer going from a 45acp down to a 9mm with several high capacity magazines. For him the issue was running out of ammo too soon. I carry a 9mm most of the time, and a .380 the rest of the time. I don't feel under gunned at all.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Mine is in a .40 also. It's a spicy meatball, but not so much more than a 9mm. I don't think the difference would negate the decision. If you EVER get into a situation where you have to use it.....I promise you, that your not even gonna notice "recoil".

BIG BOY pants may give you a little more confidence. :twisted:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the 40 and am seriously considering the 9mm. Lots of snap to the 40, and I have the ported version. P.S. Ports help with the snap quite a bit, but it is LOUD AS HELL.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
but my follow-up shots are faster and more accurate with the 9, and the extra capacity is more important than perceived extra stopping power.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

It's not a matter of the .40 S&W being uncontrollable, it's a matter of the 9mm being more controllable. As for capacity, I'd much rather have 15 rounds of 9mm than 11 rounds of .40 S&W.

BIG BOY pants may give you a little more confidence
And I'm getting really damn sick and tired of the [email protected]$$ scathing remarks concerning the "manhood" of us who choose anything less than the remarker carries. MY gun isn't YOUR decision, buddy. I'll empty the 14 round mag into the 10 ring in 2-3 seconds. THAT'S shot control and THAT'S what counts. How come YOU don't carry a .500 S&W, huh? Too much for ya?

To each his own and carry what you shoot best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always thought the sizes were what someone shot better. My grandfather and uncle told me whatever you feel comfortable and control better. Have the .40 mainly cause I liked the 9mm but had no power behind for me to feel. Granted I am a big dude but I like a little snap in my shots.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts