Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to buy my first handgun and have decided on the XDSC 9mm (I like the way it shoots, feels in my hand, and what it costs)

Any advice on affordable "extras"?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Pierce grip extension for the short mag. Trigger kit, I like springer precisio bit powder river had good reviews too. A good tactical light.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree with the Pearce grip extension, but not the trigger job. The two subcompacts I have has the best triggers of all the XD's and XDm's I have (a lot).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the web I have seen an XD Gear Accessories Kit
(with some magazines and a mag pouch),
but can't find anything more current.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
+1 on the Pearce extension. You need a good holster. I carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck. It does have a nice trigger, but I installed the PRP Ultimate Match trigger on mine a it's superb (easy to do yourself).

·
Registered
14 Posts
500 rounds of FMJ (WWB at walmart is the cheapest and most reliable)
2 boxes of Federal HydraShock Personal Protection (Shoot one box to make sure they feed)
A good place to shoot (we have a range close to here that does monthly memberships for $50 that way after the 3rd trip I am saving money)

Now go shoot...alot!

Also, you can try different JHP's, but the Federals are a great place to start until you find what you like best.

Dont buy alot of accessories or have a lot of work done to a brand new gun. After 500 rounds you will know better what you will want to do to it. I also wouldnt buy a lot of extra mags until you find out if you like the short or long mags better. Also you will get used to loading and unloading the mags you have, also, if on the off chance you dont like the gun, you will loose almost all you paid for the mags.

As far as a holster, I assume that you dont have your carry permit, so you probably have a couple of months before that comes in, so you can take your time and find a good holster that will serve what you want.

Oh yeah, most important, Have fun!

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Subcompacts have IMHO the best triggers of all my XD/XDms. So if I were you, I spend my money on ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds with the Pearce extensions, but just recently took them off all my short mags. I find that I shoot just as well and I feel it conceals just a little bit better.

The two additions that I feel give the greatest value are the PPR burrito roll pin and Dawson tritium night sights. It is doubtful that your roll pin will ever break, but just to give a bit more insurance, the PPR roll pin is that much stouter. The Dawson sight set back further on the rear of the slide to give you a longer sight picture. The tritium is just icing on the cake.

Beyond that, buy more ammo and shot often.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the Pearce Extension and a bunch of ammo to practice with.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Imhad the pearce grip extensions on mine, but took them off recently, noticed that i shot better with out them. I put night sights on them and a comptac mtac and besides ammo thats all i need...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Accessories depend on what you have in mind as far as how you will be using it? For an HD gun a compact light/laser combo for the short rail would make sense, for CCW just a good holster (personally I like the Blackhawk CQB concealment holster) and maybe a mag carrier for one or two mags. A word of caution: I have found that this one's much more comfortable for CCW with the compact mag, you might not think it make much of a difference but at least for me it really does.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
+1 on the extra mags, a good holster and (maybe) the Pearce extensions.
Before getting ANYTHING else, shoot it for a few Months and then decide on what else you really NEED (including the trigger job and TFO sights).

As mentioned, the XD9sc stock trigger is better than many shooters. also, the the 3" barrel is a very short sight radius to be making it even shorter with FO sights.

I found I can pretty much shoot my stock XD9sc just as well as some of the people with 4" & 5" models that have all the bling. :)

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
UPLula - especially when shooting the full size mags

Magazines - makes range time more about shooting than re-loading, especially if you on a pay by the hour range.

I'd agree with some of the others, don't bling it out until you've run enough rounds through it that you know what you like and don't like about your gun. On the other hand, the bling suggestions are all good things to consider.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts