Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here regularly carry the XDSC as their primary CCW?. I was wondering if you found it comfortable and concealed well. I don't want to buy the gun and then leave it at home every day. It seems a little thick and I was wondering if people found that as too great an inconvenience and if it was concealable. I'm on the small side, 5'7", 160lbs. I have no gut at all, so I'm concerned that its going to be pretty obvious I'm carrying.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
jkswiss said:
Anyone here regularly carry the XDSC as their primary CCW?. I was wondering if you found it comfortable and concealed well. I don't want to buy the gun and then leave it at home every day. It seems a little thick and I was wondering if people found that as too great an inconvenience and if it was concealable. I'm on the small side, 5'7", 160lbs. I have no gut at all, so I'm concerned that its going to be pretty obvious I'm carrying.
I'm about the same size as you and I've carried my 4" comfortably in a smartcarry/thunderwear, with some relaxed fit jeans and an untucked shirt. Having done that, I know I could comfortably carry the subcompact version in the same get-up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
5'6" 150lbs, i routinely carry a xd-9 sc either in a iwb or pancake, depening on the outfit w/o any problems. i'm sometimes drug out on group outings w/ swmbo and her friends, and none of them have caught on that i carry.

·
Registered
813 Posts
6' 300lbs, carry an SC in a Hume IWB on my hip or my Service in a Galco Miami rig every day. I used to carry a KelTec P11 before the SC and I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys. I think I'll be getting a XDSC40 then. I'll probably have to buy some pants that are a size up or so. I just ordered a Kel Tec P3at today. I dunno if my one month wait starts since the day of my order or the day I recieve the gun but I think its probably the latter. I'll probably end up getting the XD a month after I recieve the Kel Tec, whenever that is..I had no idea that after I bought that first revolver, I'd be getting so many other guns..it was suppose to be a one time thing...anyways, I digress.
My service seems a little too bulky to CC. The guns pretty much halfway down my butt and the grips pretty long. I made the mistake of buying a Kydex IWB holster....very uncomfortable. Definitely going to have to give leather a try. Those fist IWB ones look pretty cool. Anyways, I'm out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I carry the SC 9mm in Tucker Texas Heritaqge IWB. I love the setup and would recommend you look into one. I am 5'10 and barely 150 but I am still amazed how it disappears. I don't think you will regret the springfield.

PS You have to tell us how you like the Keltec when it arrives.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Kel Tec 3AT is about as small as they come. There are some FTE/FTF isssues initially (gotta shoot them 500 times). Mine proved to be a magazine issue and when I rather fortuously bought a spare mag I discovered my reliability issues went away....Kel Tec does offer outstanding customer support (you can actually TALK to one of their gunsmiths) and they will fluff and buff it for you if after 500 rounds you are still having issues....

Don't be alarmed that when you field strip the 3AT....The ejector falls off (tiny part, so work on a white colored surface) and the recoil bushing also falls off. Even without the ejector, the 3AT keeps functioning, I didn't notice it missing for a week, and retraced where I had field stripped it and found the part on the floor of the garage (lucky I don't sweep the floor that often!)

·
Registered
813 Posts
I carry a P3AT as a backup. Nothing fancy but it goes bang when you pull the trigger. I just sent the slide/barrels for both it and my P11 into KelTec to exchange them for the hard chromed models and get night sights installed. 20 bucks each for a brand new chromed slide. :) can't beat that.

Hint hint Springfield ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
iwb holster with a shirt untucked and just over sized and it works like a charm for me!!! i have the xd sub 9mm

·
Registered
76 Posts
I carry the 9mm sub in a CTAC IWB holster at 3 o'clock. I'm 5'10 and 170 and don't have a gut either. Any further forward or backward and the grip starts printing. Have to be careful bending over too.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer called yesterday, saying the gun got in. I picked it up this evening. I did a quick fluff and buff that Golden Loki recommends. This thing is crazy small. Spent ten minutes looking for some pieces that got misplaced. Feels extremely plasticy and looks cheap. I think that the bottom piece is straight up plastic. Its not the hard polymer that our XD's are made of. I can't even bend the XD's polymer even a little bit(I tried..), while this thing seems like the plastic that appliances are made out of. I guess that the plus side is that its extremely small. I put it in my pocket holster and it just disappears. Thats almost not an exageration. Gonna try it out tomorrow at the range and I'll tell you guys how I like it. Sorry that this is going off topic from XD's. I think I'm going to put an order in for an XDSC 40 while I'm at the range tomorrow. Anyone have the Fist #1 in leather? If anyone does. tell me how you like it. I've already spent a lot of money on some holsters that don't quite measure up to my expectations. The IWB kydex one is way too uncomfortable to wear for any appreciable amount of time and the paddle holster one prints like theres no tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shot it and didn't like it too much. Its a snappy little sucker and I don't think I could hit the broad side of a barn with it. I was at 21 ft or so and missed paper occasionally. Gun was fairly reliable up till round 25 or so. After that I got a FTE every other round and was really starting to piss me off. All in all I fired fifty rounds. I shot around 200 rounds wolf ammo with the xd40 w/o a single FTF or FTE. The Kel Tec is going to take a lot of getting used to. I'm most defenitely going to get a sub compact now. The Kel Tec as of now isn't reliable enough to be my only carry gun. My two cents.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I carry the SC 9mm at 9 o'clock (being lefty) and have no problems. I use an inside the waistband Tex Shoemaker suede holster with belt clip. I live about 20 miles away and took the gun to them. They traced the gun and sent me my holster in 3 days for $18 total. I use it every day for ccw and it's in great shape.

They are located in San Dimas, Calif. and tho I don't have their number, a simple 411 will get it. The company has been around for decades.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is the 40 SC any thicker than the 9mm SC? I heard somewhere that the slide is a little thicker but i dunno if thats just a rumor. While I'm on that topic is the 40 Service any thicker than the 9mm service?

·
Registered
469 Posts
ima big guy and i carry it IWB without a holster, simply between my jeans and boxers, no one can see anything.

i also wear a belt so that puts more pressure on the gun against my body

·
Registered
776 Posts
I went through several brands and styles of holsters for my XD9-SC before finally settling on a SuperTuck. It's very concealable and is quite comfortable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I carry the sc9 in a supertuck with Tshirts regularly. I don't even get oversized. I'm about 180lbs at 5'10.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts