Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
worked like a charm. THANKS!
Next step, inspect the round & figure out why it jammed going into the chamber like that. Is this a factory round or hand load?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah I'm a little confused on why it was jammed so bad. I would think a smack on the rear of the slide with the palm would get it in battery

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm a little confused on why it was jammed so bad. I would think a smack on the rear of the slide with the palm would get it in battery
A-MERC brass. badly out of spec. Failed to chamber.
When it happened I automatically wacked the rear of the slide with the heel of my hand, only making matters worse........ Checking last batch of reloads now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Checking last batch of reloads now.
This is exactly why none of the ranges around here allow reloads on their ranges. They even inspect the range bags to make sure only factory ammo is going in. They even inspect the ammo in the boxes because people will put reloads in factory boxes. GARY

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is exactly why none of the ranges around here allow reloads on their ranges. They even inspect the range bags to make sure only factory ammo is going in. They even inspect the ammo in the boxes because people will put reloads in factory boxes. GARY
Failure to chamber is more inconvenient than scary. But for liability reasons I understand why many ranges insist on factory ammo. That is also why I set up my own range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Size die not turned in far enough ? Did you verify that?

Case gage , which hornady now sells cheaper than anyone ~ $17 will prevent this and allow proper adjustment of dies. Or remove barrel and do a drop test to insure all is correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is exactly why none of the ranges around here allow reloads on their ranges. They even inspect the range bags to make sure only factory ammo is going in. They even inspect the ammo in the boxes because people will put reloads in factory boxes. GARY[/QUO
Size die not turned in far enough ? Did you verify that?

Case gage , which hornady now sells cheaper than anyone ~ $17 will prevent this and allow proper adjustment of dies. Or remove barrel and do a drop test to insure all is correct.
Dies are adjusted properly. I Checked several batches of brass and the wall thickness on this particular head stamp is very inconsistent. I always use a go /no go gauge on a sample from each batch but missed this particular head stamp. Will scrap remaining supply . Thanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've got to have about 3,000 pieces of .45ACP brass in my current rotation of reloads...about as mixed as you could imagine...some from the 60's. I've never seen that headstamp. The problems I've run into are mostly enlarged primer pockets, enough rim damage that the brass fails to go into the shellplate of my reloader, or split from dozens of reloads. I have yet to have a sized and properly crimped round fail to chamber.

Did that brass have an heavier wall than normal? Is that why you stated "badly out of spec"?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Wow. I'd be changing ranges. Signing a liability waiver is one thing, prohibiting reloads entirely is something else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got to have about 3,000 pieces of .45ACP brass in my current rotation of reloads...about as mixed as you could imagine...some from the 60's. I've never seen that headstamp. The problems I've run into are mostly enlarged primer pockets, enough rim damage that the brass fails to go into the shellplate of my reloader, or split from dozens of reloads. I have yet to have a sized and properly crimped round fail to chamber.

Did that brass have an heavier wall than normal? Is that why you stated "badly out of spec"?
Yes inconsistent wall thickness was the culprit. It varies from peace to peace in this case thick enough that they're loaded round would not chamber. Primer/holes also appeared very many being off-center. This process is not worth the time and effort

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes inconsistent wall thickness was the culprit. It varies from peace to peace in this case thick enough that they're loaded round would not chamber. Primer/holes also appeared very many being off-center. This process is not worth the time and effort

That should have read "this brass is not worth the time and effort". My speech impediment and voice to text are bad combination

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
What were the extremes on the measurements you took of the wall thickness?? Were they not uniform from piece to piece or were the actual walls on each piece not uniform? Out of spec primer pockets and holes are a good sign that brass is garbage from the start.

That range does sound rather rule infested. I would have to carry my butt elsewhere too.

·
Registered
374 Posts
the XDS have tight chambers my reloads that work even in a Shield .45 will do the same as yours, I made a jig out of wood that allows the slide to move when pushing on the frame with room for the barrel.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
the XDS have tight chambers
The XDs chambers as designed meet SAAMI spec, if your reloads don't fit properly, your reloads are out of spec - or your chamber is improperly reamed. Did you ever send your XDs in to SA to check it out?

·
Registered
153 Posts
When reloading, case length is usually the issue, not case diameter, unless your dies are shot and not sizing correctly.

Rifle cartridges almost always need to be trimmed to length after a few reload cycles.

·
Registered
764 Posts
45 acp cases rarely need trimming. I've have yet to trim one in the 10s of thousands I've reloaded.

When I got my XDS I had issues with my loads and bullet setback causing battery issues due to slowing the slide's velocity on the forward stroke. I had to buy an undersized sizing die and take some material off my expander to increase next tension.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts