Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to the XDS world and forum and think I have finally stumbled on a gem! I have owned numerous Glocks and H&K's and never really had any interest in XD pistols until I decided to trade a full sized M&P 45 and had on offer with a XDS 45 3.3 with the recall work already performed plus a ton of extras and ammo. I searched the net and proceeded to read a bunch of posts on this forum and thought I would give it a shot...and man was I surprised at how much I liked this little 45 and even moreso how accurately I shot it! Recoil was very manageable!

So after a few range sessions I decided I may benefit from a slightly lighter pull and decided to attempt a PRP kit install (I have done lots of work on Glock pistols so how hard could it be right)...and after about 3 hours I finally got everything in place and it passed function check. Darn post recall grip safety and sear spring fit took 90% of the time to install...seems like every video I watched didn't have a good shot to show me what I needed to see...but James' written and photo instructions saved the day!

Now after a long introduction I finally get to my point...what specific ammo are you guys getting light primer strikes with the PRP spring kit installed in an XDS 45 3.3? I have run Tula 230 FMJ, Federal 230 HI-SHOK JHP 45D, and Hornady 45 AUTO +P 230 grain XTP with ZERO malfunctions before and after the PRP spring kit install. Is this just issue primarily associated with reloads?

I don't have access yet to a trigger gauge to measure the reduced pull but it seems to have lightened it about 1-2 lbs. and made it a little smoother. Does anyone know if Powder River has changed the springs it included due to the light primer strike claimed issues?

I love this pistol and plan to carry it but would like to put my hands on some known factory ammo to see if I can replicate the light strikes...that way I may just go back to the factory striker spring for reliability if it happens with widely available factory ammo.

Thanks for a great forum and any advice!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I'm at around 7500 rounds now with my XDs9. Over 4000 with PRP springs installed. The only failures ever were a couple light primer strikes on reloads with CCI primers . Never on factory. A dirty gunked up striker assembly has been the culprit each time. I stripped the assembly and and polished my striker to help eliminate the problem. I now take the striker assembly apart every 300 rounds and clean it good. Always run the striker assembly dry. If not it will collect enough to slow it down and occasionally cause light strikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the XDS 45 with the PRP springs. After hundreds of rounds of my reloads with Winchester primers, no problems of any sort.

CWALL

·
Registered
298 Posts
So you're having no issue with light strikes and you're trying to figure out how to make it happen? Why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
So you're having no issue with light strikes and you're trying to figure out how to make it happen? Why?
I didn't get the impression the OP wanted to replicate the issue, but was wondering what ammo or primers others were using that caused it - presumably to stay away from it, or to test it to see if it would be an issue with the OP's own gun.

If anyone who has actually had it happen would post with that info, I'd want to do the same so that I don't stumble upon it myself in the wrong situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To clarify I was hoping to find out which, if any, brands of factory ammo might cause light primer strikes with a PRP spring kit installed. My gun has been perfect so far but would prefer to have no surprises.

Thanks to those who have responded!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts