Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
22,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it work? They discontinued the 9 but I still see plenty of 40 out there.

Reactions: Firewalker

·
Registered
58,903 Posts
Does it work? They discontinued the 9 but I still see plenty of 40 out there.
Had sub-com 40.
9mm barrel and 9mm mags
Works amazingly well. Was my back up for years.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I have 9, 40, and 45. I would just buy a 40 and use that, no need for any gyrations and extra expense.

·
Administrator
22,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They don’t make the 9 anymore and not that many for sale. Just trying to see what the options are.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Why not get a Hellcat, 365 or Shield?

My wife loves her XDs yet I think it is a POS. She shoots the shield and 365 better but because I said the XDs is junk she loves it.

The hellcat doesn't have that useless grip safety, holds more rounds and doesn't have that ridiculous cheese grater grip texture or most less worthless fiber optic sight that the tube falls out of regularly.

·
Administrator
22,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My wife loves her XDs yet I think it is a POS. She shoots the shield and 365 better but because I said the XDs is junk she loves it.

The hellcat doesn't have that useless grip safety, holds more rounds and doesn't have that ridiculous cheese grater grip texture or most less worthless fiber optic sight that the tube falls out of regularly.
My brother had one and I like how skinny it is. Very easy to CC, but looking up the hellcat, looks to be a little bit fatter.

Reactions: .45fan

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My brother had one and I like how skinny it is. Very easy to CC, but looking up the hellcat, looks to be a little bit fatter.
Ok

ETA: I just looked the XDs is .9 grip width, the hellcat 1.0.
Is that much difference worth considering?

I guess my point is financially you will be into an XDs as deep as a hellcat (with aftermart barrel and mags added), is .1" thickness really worth getting a lesser quality gun?

S&W Shield is .94 width so about the same as XDs. First gen has smooth grip 2.0 is stippled so better texture than the cheese grater. Same capacity as XDs, and not discontinued.
The new Shield plus has more capacity but us to new to recommend.

Honestly I'd say buy a 365 or Shield over either, but this is a SA forum so I'll say look hard at the hellcat over the XDs.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts

I'm not going to change your mind, but I am bound to comment on your observations.

The grip safety is a personal thing, but they have been on many guns for centuries, the 1911 and several other including some revolvers. Some people love an additional, easy to use safety.

cheese grater equals a secure grip in a hostile time, I don't like it either and softened mine with Talon grip tape, but the Cheese grater serves a purpose.

My wife's Hellcat has a fiber optic front sight, I have never had a tube fall out, Not any XDS 9, 40, or 45, the same on my XD's and XDM's.

More ammo is always .... More!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm not going to change your mind, but I am bound to comment on your observations.

The grip safety is a personal thing, but they have been on many guns for centuries, the 1911 and several other including some revolvers. Some people love an additional, easy to use safety.

cheese grater equals a secure grip in a hostile time, I don't like it either and softened mine with Talon grip tape, but the Cheese grater serves a purpose.

My wife's Hellcat has a fiber optic front sight, I have never had a tube fall out, Not any XDS 9, 40, or 45, the same on my XD's and XDM's.

More ammo is always .... More!
After the recall my XDs .45 came back with a 9# trigger. Strike one. Selling it I lost a bunch if money due to the recall and horrible trigger. Strike two.
The 9mm came out so I bought my wife one, three times the tube on the front sight fell out, it went back and SA claimed it was fixed, nope fell out again.
Strike three.

That cheese grater grip just sucks.
I shoot competitive and take multiple classes per year so I have a vague idea how guns operate. Take a two day 500 round per day class with the XDs and come back telling me how awesome it is.

I have seen a malfunction so bad it required a "mortar clearance" to unjam it , care to guess what gun it was during the second day of the above mentioned class?

If you are not smart enough to operate a gun in 2021 without a grip safety, maybe that person shouldn't own a gun. All they do us cause malfunctions in SD scenarios, such as the gun being knocked out if battery, you can't get it into battery and shoot it while it still in the belly of the bad gun. All the other guns I mentioned without the useless grip safety do not gave that problem.

Since yours are perfect, how many rounds per year go through them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts