Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound a bit silly but I have a question concerning the trigger on the XDs 3.3 .45 ACP. I picked up the XDs earlier this year and really like the gun, no complaints what so ever. This is my first striker-fired pistol and the first handgun I have with a trigger safety...

Went to the range this weekend and put the XDs through it's paces again. Both of us are getting better acquainted with each other except whenever I shoot a high round count at the range practicing, say 100 -150 rounds, I end up with heck of a "painful" blood blister on the inside of my trigger finger. This is the third time it's happened since I got the XDs. Now, if you look at your right hand, palm facing you, the blood blister is at the 10:00 o'clock position on my finger tip...and it's a good one too.

I'm asking this of other XDs owners, is there something different about the striker-fired pistols with trigger safety's that a shooter may need to change or adjust his finger contact with the trigger to avoid this kind of "boo boo"? Or am I just shooting too many rounds at one time with this gun and wearing my trigger finger out?

I know this may sound silly but why not ask? Possibly another member has been through this kind of thing already and has come up with a remedy that worked...(like a sewing thimble or shoot less rounds per outing )

Your feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yup...I get them too, but not as bad as I did prior to the install of the Powder River Precision spring kit. I sent my gun out to a James (forum member: ajamesp51) to have the spring kit installed. This drastically lightened the trigger pull. I have less of a blister now LOL! I guess we just need to let our fingers get callused up.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Keep shooting, a callous will build there ;); of note though check the safety to see that the edges arent sharp. I took a small needle file to mine and rounded the edges ever so slightly and I don't get trigger bleed any more.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
When I got mine back from the recall, the trigger was notably heavier and while I didn't get a blood blister, it did pinch the trigger finger very annoyingly. It wasn't just me....my range buddy, after his first two shots from the pistol, commented on it. He was less than impressed to say the least.

Fast forward several months to when I adjusted the grip safety spring and took several pounds off of the trigger....no more pinching. It is back to being an enjoyable pistol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you guys experiencing the blister problem have large, medium or small hands. Just curious. I have medium hands and haven't had any finger discomfort firing my XDS45 pre or post PRP spring install. Of course, I haven't tried to put 100+ rounds through it in one range session. 25-50 is more like it so that might be a factor.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Small hand here and get the exact blister at the exact spot. That part of the finger gets pinched between the corner of the trigger and the trigger guard.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you guys experiencing the blister problem have large, medium or small hands. Just curious. I have medium hands and haven't had any finger discomfort firing my XDS45 pre or post PRP spring install. Of course, I haven't tried to put 100+ rounds through it in one range session. 25-50 is more like it so that might be a factor.
I'd say medium hands for me proximo...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Seems to me the trigger finger is being placed too low. Pinching can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Seems to me the trigger finger is being placed too low. Pinching can happen.
Yup - that's what it was for me. First time out with it I had that exact problem, figured out that I was low enough on the trigger that it was getting pinched, made a slight adjustment and haven't had a problem since, even with the post-recall trigger pull of 7 1/2 lbs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Small hands here. I get a blister on my trigger finger also

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW!

Lots of good discussion on what appears to be a common problem among some of us XDs shooters. Good remedies to consider as well in alleviating the problem...thanks again for your feedback / inputs!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wasn't getting blisters, but there was pain after 50-70 rounds. In my case, the problem was my dangling pinky causing an unorthodox grip.

The extended mag fixed that for me, but the extra length was awkward for concealment. I had my 7-rd .45 ACP mags shaved down to 6-rds by a forum member. That has made all the difference. It's a shame that Springfield hasn't figured that one out when it's already an option for the Shield.

Medium-large hands.

Sent from my mobile device

1 - 15 of 15 Posts