Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first purchased my XDs I mistakenly thought I could of had the trigger adjusted and a March barrel adjusted... I have 2 months to wait before my CPL. arrives... what options would you order? (In addition to the Trig HD orange) sights? (Pictures of prior work appreciated)

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Are you ordering a custom XDs from SA or buying one from a local shop? If the latter, I would shoot it as is for a while and figure out what changes will help you shoot the gun better or if there are things that you don't like about the gun. A match barrel, for instance, is a good option if you already have the skill to shoot 4" or better at 15 yards since the standard barrel is probably 4" @ 25. Without that ability you may not see the difference. A trigger job is generally a good thing but lots of folks shoot just fine with the factory trigger.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
While it is possible to "adjust" the trigger (via things like the PRP spring set, etc) don't think a match barrel is an option in the XD/S. But why would you want such in a pistol designed and intended purely for close range self defense? The pistol is more than adequate in the accuracy department for its intended role as it comes from the factory and is hardly suitable for extended range work or competition where the proposed changes might have some effect.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good questions... I have time and funds to spend, and so I immediately thought trigger/barrel. But as my first carry weapon I'm much less concerned with the barrel upgrade, and to be honest I just need more trigger time with my 45... It's actually fun to shoot (my comparison is a model 41 22lr... a very different animal).

My order will be HD Trij night sights (Orange front, but I'm really on the fence with green)... but what else would you add from the SA custom list? Frame finish? (Yes?) extended mag release (was yes... but to be honest I won't be carrying a second mag so it's now out)... I was really looking for wish list items. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
All good questions... I have time and funds to spend, and so I immediately thought trigger/barrel. But as my first carry weapon I'm much less concerned with the barrel upgrade, and to be honest I just need more trigger time with my 45... It's actually fun to shoot (my comparison is a model 41 22lr... a very different animal).

My order will be HD Trij night sights (Orange front, but I'm really on the fence with green)... but what else would you add from the SA custom list? Frame finish? (Yes?) extended mag release (was yes... but to be honest I won't be carrying a second mag so it's now out)... I was really looking for wish list items. Thanks!
The extended mag release is fine for a competition weapon, but can lead to dropping the mag in holster, etc so would not do so for a ccw firearm. Beyond the night sights, I would (and have) opt for either Traction grips or Talon grips (textured rubber) to enhance the "grippability" and nothing else. JMO. And if you did want one more round in the mag, you could opt to have a seven round mag cut down to a six rounder along with the appropriate sleeve (several threads on this). I did this to a couple of spare seven rounders I got for free and the shorter size makes the grip length perfect for practice and even does not interfere with carry much (unlike the full seven rounder)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Is the custom shop now doing trigger jobs on the XDS? Last I checked they haven't listed trigger jobs since the recall started.

Padraig

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Just curious as to why you won't be carrying a second mag. Sometimes the quickest way to to clear a malfunction is to drop the mag and insert a new one. Do what you feel is best, but you may want to rethink that option. And no, I would not want an an extended mag release on my carry weapon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I maybe in the future, but I'm thinking I'll be overwhelmed with the pistol as a newbie... and if I believe the CPL stats provided by the FBI... Average shorter encounter is 3 shots in 3 feet... "Averages" suggest I'll never get to load a second mag. My greatest risk is dogs I can give a few seconds for a clean sight picture... and that's why I selected a 45. Good question though.

Training runs/rides perhaps the 7 rnd mag... Long runs 5 Ren mag for weight/hi pollster... I need to practice and be proficient with 5 rds.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
"Averages" suggest I'll never get to load a second mag.
"Averages" suggest you'll never need a gun to protect yourself - yet you will be doing exactly that. Do get proficient with your gun, including mag changes, and carry a spare - not so that you have more bullets, but so that you can clear a malfunction more easily should your gun jam during that first mag.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I kept mine simple. I love Talon Grips and I added the Pearce mag extension to the 5 rnd mags. I find the trigger completely acceptable for a close combat weapon. Here's mine.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413085884.611107.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I maybe in the future, but I'm thinking I'll be overwhelmed with the pistol as a newbie... and if I believe the CPL stats provided by the FBI... Average shorter encounter is 3 shots in 3 feet... "Averages" suggest I'll never get to load a second mag. My greatest risk is dogs I can give a few seconds for a clean sight picture... and that's why I selected a 45. Good question though.

Training runs/rides perhaps the 7 rnd mag... Long runs 5 Ren mag for weight/hi pollster... I need to practice and be proficient with 5 rds.
Hey, Olive, are your runs of the foot variety and rides of the pedaling type? If so, what kind of holster and clothes do you wear? I have an XDS, but think it would take suspenders to keep the weight from pulling my shorts down. I'd like to carry on trail runs, especially, but haven't figured out a setup that would work. If you have one, I (and, perhaps, others ) would sure like to know more about it.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Hey, Olive, are your runs of the foot variety and rides of the pedaling type? If so, what kind of holster and clothes do you wear? I have an XDS, but think it would take suspenders to keep the weight from pulling my shorts down. I'd like to carry on trail runs, especially, but haven't figured out a setup that would work. If you have one, I (and, perhaps, others ) would sure like to know more about it.
Don't jog anymore (just walk), but these folks might have the answer to your needs with their "joggers" holsters (under "alternative wear" category. Here is link to the jogger if it might suit you.

Model 23 Jogger Concealment Gun Holster

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Here is my personal opinion and recommendation. Accept the gun as is. Give yourself a time and round count (ie, 6 mos and 1500 rounds) to become familiar with the gun, how you shoot it and time for you both to improve. Once you reach that point, and have some actual experience, decide what you want modified (if anything). While excited and new, it is too easy to go overboard and start doing things ($) that are just unnecessary for your needs.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Here is my personal opinion and recommendation. Accept the gun as is. Give yourself a time and round count (ie, 6 mos and 1500 rounds) to become familiar with the gun, how you shoot it and time for you both to improve. Once you reach that point, and have some actual experience, decide what you want modified (if anything). While excited and new, it is too easy to go overboard and start doing things ($) that are just unnecessary for your needs.
This. Solid advice. Shoot the system first and become it's master. Then change things if necessary.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
go with the green front sight. there is no confusion in the dark as to what is what. also the orange burns for 5-6 year half lifes while the green are 11 year half lifes, maybe 12 can't remember exactly.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

If your new to firearms , training and education is what, if I may suggest , you need the most. Money spent on training will help more than any modification you make to your firearm.

Take your time , practice a lot and educate yourself. Once your proficient with your firearm, then you should be able to identify the mods. that will help you the most.
(In the past 30 yrs. the only modifications I've done to my pistols is, some grips on some 1911's and some lights on the rails. I have considered some new sights, but just never really felt the need.)

Also I always carry a extra mag, not only for the extra ammo, but you can have other failures, where a mag swap is the fastest way to get back to defending yourself.

·
Registered
91 Posts

AVERAGES are just that. Before I retired from the Air Force "They" said the average life span of someone retiring was 5-10 years. I retired almost 21 years ago. You should ALWAYS carry a spare magazine. It's like insurance. You may never need it, but if you do.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Skunkhunter... nice - no debate, I guess I just need more confidence and supplement my training. Magazine placement and exchange. My concealed carry license came in the post on Friday... So know I have the responsibility of carrying effectively. :)

I've ordered a holster shirt from 511 tactical for walking/snowshoeing and MTB riding AND it has a second pocket for a second magazine.

My next step however is street carry - options are overwhelming - I wish I was more experienced - IWB or OWB - Im leaning towards 4-5 o'clock - still need to decide.

Thanks for pushing the discussion - have a safe holiday!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts