Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to the range and couldnt hit anything. Bought a 9mm sight mark bore sight and found out that at 5yds poi is a good inch low and left moved out to 10yds and that doubled,any help would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
At 5 yards, the sights should "appear off" with POI a bit low using a laser bore sighter since the actual sights are higher than the bore and the laser beam is a straight line from the bore, unlike a bullet which does not travel in a straight line, but travels in an arc or trajectory, first rising above the "line of sight" shown by the laser, then falling below after some distance. Such guns are typically factory sighted in at some fixed distance such as 25 yards, and bullet point of impact will be a little high at shorter ranges, then lower past the sight in distance.

If in actual shooting you are shooting or hitting low on the target, that is almost always a "shooter" factor resulting from incorrect trigger and grip control. Many, many threads on the forum have dealt with this issue and how to "correct" it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is my experience that laser bore sights are only good for getting you on the paper and not much more. These guns have a learning curve heavy trigger and short sight radius. Jerking the trigger usually causes low and left hits on the target.

Try again and pay attention to your grip and trigger finger. This is a very common complaint and it usually goes away with a little practice.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Change from a 6'oclock to combat sight picture. Line the three dots up and cover the center with the front dot.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Just went to the range and couldnt hit anything. Bought a 9mm sight mark bore sight and found out that at 5yds poi is a good inch low and left moved out to 10yds and that doubled,any help would be great. Thanks
It is my experience that laser bore sights are only good for getting you on the paper and not much more.
^ Pretty much -

Unless you have a really good bore-sighting device, it's not going to be absolutely accurate. The laser diode may not even be sitting true inside the bore-sight cartridge.

I have one of those bore-arbor-type bore-sighters (which costs about the same and is of the same overall quality as the drop-in-cartridge type that you use, dwc3761), and I can tell you from having just sighted-in one of my ARs the other day that it's honestly only an approximation.

----

For more insight and information on this issue, read this thread on the same subject:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/260644-can-t-hit-squat-my-xds-3-3-45-a.html
^ Exactly.

Take yourself out of the equation, dwc3761.

Bag/bench your gun. Better yet, most decent ranges either have free rests that you can use or will rent you one - get their staff or the RO to show you how to properly use it to your advantage.

Alternatively, have someone who you know is a good shooter - and who is honest about their abilities - give *serious* tries at your gun. Example? I'm not great, but I'm decent: when a friend of mine and I made a range-date (our first), he'd brought his new (second time he'd shot it) G4 G19 with him. He called from the next stall to say that he was consistently low-left, so he wanted me to put some rounds downrange with it. I shot 13 rounds at a decent cadence, after which he looked at me, grinned, and said: "Well, I guess it's not the gun/sights!" :) By the time he left the range that day (we'd gone with our children, and his are older/more experienced than mine, so he stayed longer), he'd gotten himself more dialed-in.

Can it be the gun/sights? Certainly, it can. But you owe it to yourself to really make sure before you start chasing that specter. Here's an article authored by former Federal Air Marshal and Top Shot (perennial :p) runner-up Chris Cerino, whom I've really come to admire as a local-to-me firearms instructor:

TRAINING TIPS: Need a sight adjustment? Think again! - TheGunMag - The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment FoundationTheGunMag ? The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment Foundation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts