Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .45acp XDS I purchased new the summer of 2012.

The serial number is on the bottom front of the frame, right side of the chamber portion of the barrel, and right front of the slide.

I had to call Springfield about something else and asked them why the serial number is on the slide and barrel. The customer service person not only couldn't answer my question, but was surprised the number is on the slide and barrel.

Anyone have a .45acp XDS without the serial number on the slide and barrel?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Why would you need pics? :confused: The SN is on the frame, slide and barrel of all of the XDs I've seen - it is apparently how they do it. Not that I know why they do it, mind you, just that they do.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you need pics? :confused: The SN is on the frame, slide and barrel of all of the XDs I've seen - it is apparently how they do it. Not that I know why they do it, mind you, just that they do.

Have you seen this on other semi-auto handguns?

I have had a number of handguns over the decades and the serial number is typically in one place on the frame and only the frame.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
As I understand it, the serial number is only a "serial number" to the ATF when it is on the frame or receiver of a weapon. If it is anywhere else it's because someone (or some company) wanted it there.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Why not?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What was the question again? I'm confused on why this thread was even started. Guess I should get back to work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Anyone else notice that the number on the plate under the dust cover is different from the inside ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
One reason I can think of would be to ensure that the fit of barrel to slide to frame is consistent. Since firearms are mass produced the tolerances of each component is enough to cause problems if stacked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In Europe the barrel is the controlled part, so the barrel needs to be numbered.

·
Registered
577 Posts
In Europe the barrel is the controlled part, so the barrel needs to be numbered.
So Glocks, H&K's and CZ's should have serial numbers on the barrel too?

·
Registered
21 Posts
If they're sold in Europe , yes.
It may be that HS Produkt finds it easier to mark every barrel for ease of manufacture?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Have you seen this on other semi-auto handguns?

I have had a number of handguns over the decades and the serial number is typically in one place on the frame and only the frame.
take a look at Glocks , H&K, the S# is in all three places too, some Sigs too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts