Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I posted this on Defensive Carry so I thought I would share it here, as well.

As I stated in another thread, I got my XDS back from the recall after about three working days. I was impressed with the turnaround time. But like many others have said, the trigger was pretty awful. Not only that, but the first couple of times I fired it after it came back, it had a few failures where it would miss going into battery by the width of a gnat's hair. And even worse, it had lots of problems even feeding my carry round of choice, Remington UMC 230-grain JHP's.

So this week I tackled both problems, starting with the failure to feed/go into battery. I found a thread on another forum where a guy was saying that this was caused by the magazine springs. He even linked the company and listed the part number of the springs to get. I'm forever grateful. The springs are from Tripp Research:

Tripp Research, Inc.

The part number for the XDS mag spring is: MS-14C048. It might not be described as such, but that's the part number you want. They're only $6.95 each and I bought two. A few people said that they were difficult to install, but this wasn't my experience at all. One thing......you'll need to slightly snip one side of the spring where the wire curves back inside and gets in the way of the magazine base plate. My bolt cutters made short work of this. Note that these have several more coils than the stock mag springs, so loading a mag will be tighter. But, this is also what seems to fix the problem.

Now on to the awful trigger. It was gritty, rough, way too heavy and hard to place a shot accurately. so I bought the Powder River Precision XDS Spring Kit for the post-recall XDS:

PRP XDS Trigger Spring Kit

$18.95 plus shipping.

This was a bit of a project for me, since I've only done minor gunsmithing and I had never fully disassembled my XDS. It also didn't help that I LOST the new disconnector spring and spent 1.5 hours in a panic looking for it on Thursday night. Further, it didn't help that the YouTube "instructional" video is made by a guy who assumes that you're an expert gunsmith and who can't seem to always keep what he's doing on camera. He also doesn't even halfway explain what he's doing or really show you in places, so I had to research elsewhere. I digress. I finally got it all back together last night, and all safety checks were 100%.

The trigger pull now measures about 5.5 pounds. I didn't think to measure it before, but it was definitely heavier.

Today was range time. About 200 flawless rounds! I even deliberately "dirtied" it up with a couple mags of Winchester White Box, and it still fed and fired the UMC's flawlessly. I'm very happy with it now.

The trigger still has more lead-in travel than I prefer, but since this isn't a range/target gun, I doubt I'll bother ever trying to correct this. It shoots reliably and the trigger feels fine, so that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The PRP sring kit is the way to go. It"s pretty easy to do if you take your time and pay attention to what your doing, and watch a good video, I probably saw the same one you did and figured I would give it a try. Good luck with the new trigger spring system.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PRP sring kit is the way to go. It"s pretty easy to do if you take your time and pay attention to what your doing, and watch a good video, I probably saw the same one you did and figured I would give it a try. Good luck with the new trigger spring system.
Thanks. If I had ever disassembled my XDS previously it would have gone a lot faster, but I was pretty clueless about it at first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed the prp kit. It wasn't horrible, I just took my time and watched the vide. Now I have a be tter understanding of how the gun goes together.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just installed the prp kit. It wasn't horrible, I just took my time and watched the vide. Now I have a be tter understanding of how the gun goes together.
Yeah, it also helped me to understand the layout better.

The biggest problem I encountered is that the grip safety spring fell out and I had to do some separate research to see how it goes in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks, I am going to try the PRP kit. I had a perfect gun prior to recall, with over a 1,000 flawless rounds shot. Post-recall it's a nightmare. Tripp springs didn't help at all. I hope this spring kit would be a solution.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I am going to try the PRP kit. I had a perfect gun prior to recall, with over a 1,000 flawless rounds shot. Post-recall it's a nightmare. Tripp springs didn't help at all. I hope this spring kit would be a solution.
The Tripp springs I linked to are for the failures to go into battery. Sorry for the confusion. But if yours hasn't had any failures to go into battery, then you shouldn't need those anyway.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And while I had everything apart, I used the opportunity to polish all of the internal surfaces with my Dremel.

Smoooooooth. ;)
I wish I had done the same. The trigger feels nice after the spring kit, but I could see it feeling even better with a smoothing job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Tripp springs I linked to are for the failures to go into battery. Sorry for the confusion. But if yours hasn't had any failures to go into battery, then you shouldn't need those anyway.
I actually do have a bunch of FRTB's now, after the recall. Tripp springs did not fix this issue at all. I was hoping the spring kit may help, but apparently not. Oh well, I bought it anyway. We'll see if it makes any difference. At this point I am willing to try anything. I'm so disappointed by this gun after the recall. Went from zero problems to nothing but problems... :(

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually do have a bunch of FRTB's now, after the recall. Tripp springs did not fix this issue at all. I was hoping the spring kit may help, but apparently not. Oh well, I bought it anyway. We'll see if it makes any difference. At this point I am willing to try anything. I'm so disappointed by this gun after the recall. Went from zero problems to nothing but problems... :(
I hate hearing that because they did the trick for mine. I was getting an FRTB about every 2nd or 3rd mag when it first came back, but none in a couple hundred rounds after swapping the springs.

Have you tried different mags altogether?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hate hearing that because they did the trick for mine. I was getting an FRTB about every 2nd or 3rd mag when it first came back, but none in a couple hundred rounds after swapping the springs.

Have you tried different mags altogether?
I have two 5-rd mags and five 7-rd mags. Put Tripp springs in all five 7-rd mags, and the two 5-rd mags got leftower springs from 7-rd mags. And no matter which mag I use, I keep having problems. Which tells me it's not one or two bad mags, it's the gun itself.

I also took apart the loaded chamber indicator assembly and the extractor/safety assembly and cleaned them well yesterday. They were very dirty. Someone else in these forums swears cleaning and lubricating those two areas solved similar problems for him. We'll see if it helps. If not, then I'm calling SA.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have two 5-rd mags and five 7-rd mags. Put Tripp springs in all five 7-rd mags, and the two 5-rd mags got leftower springs from 7-rd mags. And no matter which mag I use, I keep having problems. Which tells me it's not one or two bad mags, it's the gun itself.

I also took apart the loaded chamber indicator assembly and the extractor/safety assembly and cleaned them well yesterday. They were very dirty. Someone else in these forums swears cleaning and lubricating those two areas solved similar problems for him. We'll see if it helps. If not, then I'm calling SA.
I hope it all works out for you. Believe me, I was disappointed when I first got mine back. Not only did the trigger suck but it also had the FRTB issues. If the problems had continued I would have either sent it back to SA or traded it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts