Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced their XDS being particularly picky with clearing live HP ammo? I have a 3.3" 45ACP that will only eat Hornady Critical Duty and FMJ. I've tried Hydra-shok, Winchester Defend, UMC, and Ranger-T and they all hung up in the ejection port when ejecting a live round. Didn't matter how hard or soft I (or anyone else) racked it. Pistol is broken in good and well lubed.

At this point, I've sent it in to SA for them to have a look at it. Thankfully, I discovered this at the range during the break-in on a round with a bad primer. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this same experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to say that with the exception of the FTF on the range, it will shoot and cycle anything I put in it. It is only when ejecting a live round during cleaning or to unload for storage that I experienced this issue. Could be a bit of an issue during a defensive scenario though especially with a light primer strike or FTF.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
yes, my XDs45 will tend to hang up with a still live round IF I don't rack it firmly and sharply. When I do my part it is not a problem.

Reason (my speculation): this is a small gun so everything is tight. The port is designed to clear an empty case. So a live round can hang especially if not racked with vigor.

As for clearing a fail to fire - yes can be a problem if do not rack with vigor, something we will do in a defensive situation under adrenaline surge (will probably come close to ripping slide off gun in such a situation).

A question - are you cupping your offhand over port to catch that round? I see too many shooters, especially newer shooters, doing this. That will definitely make it hang in XDs. It is also a risky move with any gun because if the round is stopped from clearing it might (chance) strike against ejector. If ejector taps primer it might (another chance) ignite. That fired round wont be deadly because not in chamber but the shredded brass and lead will make a mess of your cupped hand and could damage the port area of gun. I was taught there are two dangerous holes in a gun - the obvious one at pointy end, and also the ejection port. So I always explain this risk to new folks at our local club who I see doing that, and suggest that they just let it fly and pick it up.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Funny how we don't have any threads regarding the "Live Ammo in the Gun...It won't come out...Help!" Threads for months...now, suddenly we have several...

Am I the only one who doesn't need to eject a live round often enough for this to be a problem?!o_O

Reactions: CdnInAz

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Ejecting an unfired round is often a problem with most ultra small semi-autos. This is so because the ejection port in most of these guns is on the small side, A larger ejection port would weaken the small slide, as well as remove needed weight. The best way and safest way to clear an unfired round is to remove the magazine before racking the slide. This will allow the extracted round to drop down the mag well, rather than try to get it out through the ejection port.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Funny how we don't have any threads regarding the "Live Ammo in the Gun...It won't come out...Help!" Threads for months...now, suddenly we have several...
In fairness, this one is different in that the cartridge is being extracted, just not ejected clear of the ejection port.

Am I the only one who doesn't need to eject a live round often enough for this to be a problem?!o_O
Well, I don't know about anyone else but I have to do so pretty regularly. My XDs is my EDC, and I practice and train with what I carry, so I go to the range, remove the mag full of my carry ammo, eject the round in the chamber, and then load with practice ammo. Also, even if I haven't practiced with my carry gun, I clean it once a month to get rid of the lint and debris it tends to accumulate. Again, I have to eject a live round of my carry ammo to do so. If I just kept it in the safe unloaded and took it tothe range once ina while, I wouldn't need to do so either. But for me, that's not how I use the XDs (and my house gun for that matter).

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I have started to shoot the round in the pipe of my EDC...to cut back on setback issues and rotate my ammo...guess thats not how others do it...I was asking a legitimate question and I appreciate the legitimate answer sir!

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I have started to shoot the round in the pipe of my EDC...to cut back on setback issues and rotate my ammo...guess thats not how others do it...I was asking a legitimate question and I appreciate the legitimate answer sir!
that is exactly what I do. When arrive at range, pull out mag with carry ammo, insert mag with my reloads, shoot the HP followed by reloads. As you said, cycles out the potential setback, and also gives me a quick easy reminder of how full power HP feel compared to my reloads.

Reactions: R3dbull4dd1kt

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I do occasionally clear a live round out of my XDs, but that is only on the range or when I clean my gun. I do like the idea of just shooting the HP round on the range. When I do clear a live round, I drop the mag and slam the slide back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely not a problem with how hard I'm racking. Tried both overhand (being sure not to cup the Ejection Port) and sling-shot. Tried 4 different users, all experienced shooters. Same hang-ups on the same rounds.

Typically, clearing a live round wouldn't be that big of a deal at the range or at home. In a defensive situation however, ejecting a FTF (however unlikely) shouldn't cost your life. It is highly unlikely that an attacker would be polite enough to allow you to drop the mag to clear a FTF before continuing to attack you.

I'll post an update when it gets back from SA. Hopefully they'll be able to find the issue.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Definitely not a problem with how hard I'm racking. Tried both overhand (being sure not to cup the Ejection Port) and sling-shot. Tried 4 different users, all experienced shooters. Same hang-ups on the same rounds.

Typically, clearing a live round wouldn't be that big of a deal at the range or at home. In a defensive situation however, ejecting a FTF (however unlikely) shouldn't cost your life. It is highly unlikely that an attacker would be polite enough to allow you to drop the mag to clear a FTF before continuing to attack you.

I'll post an update when it gets back from SA. Hopefully they'll be able to find the issue.
Uh huh...

reliability is why I don't carry an XDS...in fact I dumped mine shortly after the recall for several reasons--reliability being one of them...

I see where you are going with your logic...but that same logic would lead me to finding better quality ammo, not overhauling a pistol...same results, less legwork *shrug*

Reactions: Jimmycrackcorn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I just got the pistol back from SA. Notes on the invoice indicate that they 'RECUT BREECH WALL' and 'SHORTENED EJECTOR'. Going to run it through the paces this afternoon and this weekend. Turn-around time was less than a week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to SA's customer support. Recutting the breech wall and shortening the ejector seemed to do the trick. Cycled every round I have access to through it and it functioned flawlessly. Ran about 50 rounds through it with no malfunctions. Probably do another 200 this weekend.

Clears live rounds now with no issues either and I don't have to rack it with superhuman effort. Quite pleased so far.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thanks to SA's customer support. Recutting the breech wall and shortening the ejector seemed to do the trick. Cycled every round I have access to through it and it functioned flawlessly. Ran about 50 rounds through it with no malfunctions. Probably do another 200 this weekend.

Clears live rounds now with no issues either and I don't have to rack it with superhuman effort. Quite pleased so far.
YAY!!!:D

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts

malfunctions

Sounds like the CNC machine reamer was worn down and did a few bad ejection ports and QC didn't catch it. Glad they fixed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably my last upadate on this thread.

Speer Gold Dot x 20
Hornady Critical Duty x 20
Hydrashock x 20
Remmington UMC x 50
Monarch Steel JHP x 100

Shot all of them fine. Performed multiple ejections with live rounds no hangups. It performed flawlessly.

I think I'm comfortable to carry on now.

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts