Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new XDS Mod.2 OSP with Crimson Trace CTS-1500 out to the range for the first time today. It shoots just like any other XDS, so not much to say there. I fired one box each of 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr factory plinking rounds and 20rds of my carry ammo: Federal Micro 150gr HST. All fed, fired, and ejected without error. It鈥檚 what I expected, but was happy to verify. It was all on a steel target, so unfortunately, I don鈥檛 have any fancy/impressive target papers to show off 馃槉. The trigger, despite being heavier than my first XDS gen 1 with a PRP kit, has much less creep, which is fine by me.

The CT red dot seems pretty good, so far. I didn鈥檛 need to make any adjustments after mounting, and it held zero throughout the 190-round session (not a big test, I know). The literature says the dot is 3.5moa, but it seems a little smaller. Not a problem, though as it was very crisp in the window with no other visual aberrations. Time will tell how well the polymer window and body hold up. Brightness is automatically adjusted; there are no buttons on the unit and the only adjustments are for windage and elevation. It comes with a plastic cover which CT says to keep installed while in storage to help prolong battery life (another unknown at this point).

All in all, I鈥檓 pretty satisfied with this new piece and accompanying red dot. As long as the gun continues to shoot well, and the optic maintains integrity, I鈥檒l be a happy camper.

Registered
I was experimenting with covering the light sensor diode to the left of the LED to adjust the brightness on mine. I get some flare in higher light situations. I ended up just taking the red dot off for now. It has pretty sweet stock iron sites for regularly lit conditions.

I'll experiment more with the light sensor when I get more confident with the trigger.

I also polished the ramps on the striker safety and trigger bar manually using some Meguire's Ultra Cut on a patch and lubed up the trigger pivot a bit. So much smoother now, no stacking at all!

Really sweet gun!

Registered
How did you get the Osp plate off? I have tried everything and it wont break loose. 1 screw came out with no issue the other will not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you get the Osp plate off? I have tried everything and it wont break loose. 1 screw came out with no issue the other will not.
I used a T10 screwdriver and had to press down pretty firmly to get it to break loose without stripping out the head. Both screws had blue locking compound and were pretty darn tight. I found it interesting that the gun came with a couple different hex keys for the red dot, but not a Torx key for the cover plate.
Anyway, I would try a heat gun (or hair dryer) next. Be careful and heat gently and evenly as the cover plate is plastic. Take the slide off, and heat from the underside, too.

I had a Beretta APX where one of the cover plate screws stripped out with the teeny metric hex key, so I ended up using a small easy-out and a drill, and that worked perfectly. I feel fairly competent with hand tools, so I was willing to take the chance, but if that's something you don't want to try, I'd recommend contacting Springfield directly. It sucks having to send a new pistol back, right off the bat, but they should take care of you. I've read similar stories about the XDM OSP cover plates, too. It seems to happen way too often in hand guns these days, IMO.

Registered
Mine didn't give me any problems. Blue thread lock isnt actually that strong, especially on such small fasteners. Just be patient and careful and use the correct size torx bit. Heat should not be required.

Don't try to do it with a hex key!

I used a 1/4" drive torx bit on a 3/8" ratchet with an adapter for extra leverage, not cus I needed the torque, because it allows for better control.

Registered
Thanks. I鈥檒l try again. Ordered some Torx heads they will be in tomorrow. I thought the CT sight was already attached when I purchased form CheaperThanDirt.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it out to the range today and put another 100-ish rounds through it. No problems related to firing. When cleaning, I noticed the optic was a little loose, one screw more than the other. The nice part about having an optic sitting in a milled slot vs. an adapter plate on top of the slide, is that any looseness may present itself with elevation differences only as it does not move side-to-side or front-to-back at all. I can tighten it down and it will go exactly back to where it was.

I also brought along my G19 with and 6.5moa dot RMR. Between the two, the bigger dot on the RMR is much faster and easier to see when shooting at defensive pistol distances. I'll keep working with the OSP for now, to see if I get used to the smaller dot, but I could see getting a different optic someday down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts