Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting weekly my XDs Mod 2 3.3 9mm at the range without a single issue. So far I've put around 1,000 rounds through it without a single misfire or malfunction of any kind. The other day I was going to clean the gun when I noticed the grip safety pushed and locked in. I tried pulling it back, but it's locked. I don't care much about the grip safety and the gun is firing as supposed to. But, would like to know what might be causing this. Maybe I will send to Springfield for warranty repairs, as it is fairly new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It probably would be hard (if not impossible) to tell what has happened or how it is affecting the other components through an external inspection or even through a simple field strip inspection. I would personally discontinue use until the issue is resolved to prevent either damage to the firearm or injury. Your best move would probably be to call Springfield. They will probably have you send it in, correct the problem, and verify nothing is damaged. They have really great customer service and they have a really fair warranty policy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It probably would be hard (if not impossible) to tell what has happened or how it is affecting the other components through an external inspection or even through a simple field strip inspection. I would personally discontinue use until the issue is resolved to prevent either damage to the firearm or injury. Your best move would probably be to call Springfield. They will probably have you send it in, correct the problem, and verify nothing is damaged. They have really great customer service and they have a really fair warranty policy.
Yosemite, thanks for your recommendation. Didn't think of that issue affecting anything else, as it works properly, but you might be right. I have a Beretta APX that I use as an alternate, so it's no big deal sending the XDs to Springfield for repairs. I will talk to my gun shop, as sending it to Springfield would have to be through them (FFL).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yosemite, thanks for your recommendation. Didn't think of that issue affecting anything else, as it works properly, but you might be right. I have a Beretta APX that I use as an alternate, so it's no big deal sending the XDs to Springfield for repairs. I will talk to my gun shop, as sending it to Springfield would have to be through them (FFL).
You're very welcome. I don't know if your state has any laws pre-empting this, but this TTAG article sums up my understanding of Federal Law: Tip Of The Day: Ship Carefully - The Truth About Guns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the difference between the Springfield XDS and XD-S mod 2?

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
My bet is that the grip safety spring has slipped out of its proper placement -

The Springer Precision YouTube Channel has a great set frame disassembly/reassembly videos - both new (~1 year old) and old (~12 years old), that should help guide you in troubleshooting this area, if you are mechanically inclined and have the needed punches. More than likely, disassembly followed by correct(ive) reassembly will resolve the issue.

If you are not mechanically inclined, I would recommend either seeking the help of someone who is more comfortable taking the gun apart to that level (it's not much different from any other striker-fired pistol in terms of complexity), or returning it to SA for warranty service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bet is that the grip safety spring has slipped out of its proper placement -

The Springer Precision YouTube Channel has a great set frame disassembly/reassembly videos - both new (~1 year old) and old (~12 years old), that should help guide you in troubleshooting this area, if you are mechanically inclined and have the needed punches. More than likely, disassembly followed by correct(ive) reassembly will resolve the issue.

If you are not mechanically inclined, I would recommend either seeking the help of someone who is more comfortable taking the gun apart to that level (it's not much different from any other striker-fired pistol in terms of complexity), or returning it to SA for warranty service.
You're probably right. This is my EDC and it takes a beating every now and then, the spring might have dislodged. I'm very good working with mechanical items, plus I have all kinds of tools, including a few punch sets. But, since it is fairly new, I will send to SA for warranty repair. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
^ Cool. Let us know how it turns out - if they include a note to tell you what went wrong. More than likely, they won't, but it would be nice to have a data-point! :)

·
Registered
I can't possibly list them.
18 Posts
You're probably right. This is my EDC and it takes a beating every now and then, the spring might have dislodged. I'm very good working with mechanical items, plus I have all kinds of tools, including a few punch sets. But, since it is fairly new, I will send to SA for warranty repair. Thanks for your input.
Can't go wrong sending it in for warranty repair. I would ask about the turn around time especially if it's your main carry weapon.
Nothing wrong with repairing things yourself but, if you accidentally make a bigger mess then the warranty will not cover it and you will have voided your warranty all together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts