Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be patient I am old and cut my teeth decades ago on 1911's and Hi-Standards.
The XDS's are the first striker units I have ever owned and I own them as they are so very easy to carry as my CCW piece. I have had a few of the well discussed teething issues, all resolved but one that I think is not realized by Springfield - and yes, I have written to them about this issue and received a response saying it will be looked into.
All of the mags for the XDS, well mine, do not fully seat or seat flushly. That is, they click home and have about .125" of free play/room at the bottom of the frame. They do not sit flush like a 1911, Ruger, Hi Standard, Walther or any other semi-auto I have ever owned or shot.
Upon looking at the units it seems that the mags all have their catch holes machined a tad too high and, while fully seated, they will often FTF with ONLY the first round out of the magazine. Hmm. If I hold the mag firmly up into the frame and let the first of five rounds feed after the round in the chamber fires all of the rest feed perfectly regardless of bullet type or ammo brand. Also, if I only load four rounds into the mag and one into the chamber all feed and fire which tells me that there is an inherent issue in the magazines.
Am I alone in this or have others seen this with their XDS's?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've also noticed that my magazines have that small, but noticeable gap, when installed. What actually made me notice it was that it only occurred when the magazine was loaded, an unloaded empty magazine seats totally flush in my XD-S, but load 1 or more rounds and that gap appears.

I haven't had any firing issues or failures of any kind so I can't speculate on your symptoms. Hopefully Springfield can offer some resolution for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, does the mag fit flush with the Pearce extension? If so, then it must somehow have a closer 'fit' to the retaining plate then the factory unit - please advise. I have never heard of this product until today's post.

I was at my son's this past week, he is a surgeon who builds 1911's and black rifles as a hobby. I mention this only to say he knows his way around firearms. He has two XDS units neither of which have been sent back for the recall. One has an original PRP spring kit installed too. It's trigger is excellent with very little creep and NO grittiness at all, it breaks at about 5 lbs flat and seems a delight next to the ones I sent back for the recall.

Also, his mags seem to fit fully flush? Why I have no idea at all but they do. I have three XDS units and all were fine prior to the recall and now all seem to have a FTF ONLY if I have one in the chamber and five in the mag. As I said, with four in the mag there is no issue.

Springfield said I can send them back; ahh, no thanks as sending them back in the first place was, or so I believe, a mistake. If they are sent anywhere it will be to PRP as I know their work.

Thanks to all who have replied. Your answers are appreciated by one who is new to strikers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have these same problems as well as others. My gun is back at Springfield for the 2nd time regarding this. I hope they actually fix it this time instead of blaming the ammo and my grip.

My original pre recall gun was perfect. Knowing what I know now, i would have never sent mine in.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The issue from the mfg's standpoint is that they do not know who they are dealing with when it comes to the owner. One may be very experienced or a complete novice. Never the less, to just assume that it is the ammo or grip without asking questions to try to discern the shooter's competence is silly. Asking the right questions can usually give the mfg the info they need about the owner.

Doing this to someone who has shot thousands of rounds and 'knows' when there is an issue is not good for business. Doing this do someone who had NO ISSUES prior to the recall is, well so I think, poor form.

This begs the questions that should be considered by a mfg. If you know the owner had no issues prior to having some work done on the pistol then why does the pistol now have issues? If you get hundreds telling you the same thing then one must re-visit what was done to the pistols.

None of mine had a FTF issue or any other issue prior to the 'recall upgrades'. It is a shame when a fix makes a very reliable unit one that is now of questionable reliability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is mine fully loaded with five .45acp rounds and pierce extension. I can see silver but no issues for me so far. I wouldn't mind less of a gap though.

Apparently I can't post a pic since I don't have 10 posts:rolleyes:

·
Registered
159 Posts
LOL that's a good one. .

This might be something an after market part could address. But then you would have to deal with specific mags for specific guns. Hell it might end up like the damn chauchaut. LOL

I've not sweated it mine has functioned well.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First, what is stackup? I never heard the term.

With the 1911 the weak point was the magazine and many would mark a mag that worked for them so it didn't 'walk away'. With the advent of Metalform magazines the problems with magazines ceased to exist in 1911's.

However, WHY would a mag work pre-recall and not work correctly post recall?
I will have all of my bbls and slides back Wednesday and will spend a few hours at the range just function testing all of the units and I will note all of the mags too; could be interesting but should not be necessary.

Thanks to all for their assistance.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Stackup is another name for tolerance stacking. .. the concept being that components of a product can be within tolerances individually but when combined can result in a product that is out of spec.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
However, WHY would a mag work pre-recall and not work correctly post recall?
My question exactly. I don't see anything in the recall changes that would have any effect...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a 45 xd-s about 2 weeks ago. I noticed none of the three magazines I have sit flush, but I haven't had any issues. The previous owner put 500 rounds through it with no issue, and I've already put 200 rounds through without a single malfunction of any kind.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Likewise, I have an XDs in .45 that predates and has been through the recall. None of the 5 mags I own have ever fit flush, and none of them have ever exhibited a problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts