Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

I wish I had stumbled upon this forum earlier but I had my choice of any glock or a slightly used XDS and i chose the XDS. I got a slightly used one with case and all except a cleaning rod and manual for a little more than 4 bills.

Elated I got a sweet deal, I took it straight to the range having never shot one before. Right off I could tell this one is a different beast. I ran into a lot of instances that were discussed on a sticky post here with the gun not going all the way to battery after racking the slide and possibly a limp wrist feed failure. I had already did a functions check before arriving at the range so I knew what I bought was completely functional with no signs of even 50 rounds of wear. I naturally had to adjust and be more intent with my movements and pay attention a lot more than with other guns but after that, it was shooting very well indeed handling double taps and rapid fire with consistent 1-2" groups with some stacked holes and let's face it 1-2 fly aways.

Plane Revolver Trigger

That's not to say i'm thrilled with that grouping. Now what I wished somebody had warned me about--and I'm a first time pistol owner--is the rounds I was feeding it were 230 gr FMJ. I was told by the range guy on duty who uses this gun as an EDC in fact that the rounds need to be lower charged since it's such a compact gun. 180-190 gr should tighten up those shot groups and make it run smoother and get em in HP to make em more effective defensive ammo--which I already knew.

So I had an experience that my have frightened away a novice gun owner but having shot many guns before, I'm not shying away from this one. I see the potential for this gun to be a very consistent even at longer ranges and also reliable for EDC. I hope to report later after breaking this gun in that my groups are tighter and no instances where I have to drop the mag to clear any rounds due to operator error and using ammo that isn't ideal.

As an aside, an XDM owner was there and immediately was gawking at my XDS saying he wished he hadn't let go of his. Of course I offered him a 7 rnd mag! I won't be making the same mistake.

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Congrats on the XDS. I've found 230 gr a bit tough too. My carry load is Gold Dot 200 gr (no +p) and I find it very manageable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought the XDS in 4 inch .45. Took it to the range and loaded 185 gr. Magtech. Shot about 60 rounds and out of the box, (no I did not clean it, as I was anxious to shoot it), had no misfeeds, double taps, or any failures whatsoever. Accuracy was an issue, but with any new gun one needs to get used to it. My range gun has been a 9mm Beretta PX4 compact that I shoot quite well. Frankly I was not surprised at my lack of skill with the XDS and know I will get better with familiarity and practice.

I added a Pacmayr grip and Pierce mag extension which will also help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, I did not know about that grip. I think the stock grip could be a little harsh for mag dumping so I threw on some tactical gloves and problem solved. I love the extended mag and the pierce mag extension for the range. Sounds like I'll be on the right track with the powder charge.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Interesting, I did not know about that grip. I think the stock grip could be a little harsh for mag dumping so I threw on some tactical gloves and problem solved. I love the extended mag and the pierce mag extension for the range. Sounds like I'll be on the right track with the powder charge.
You might want to read this thread:
Pachmayr Tactiacal Grip Glove XDTalk Forums

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yea I started that grip thread and it seems a lot of shooters have the glove move on them under recoil. I have not been able to shoot mine yet with it on.

BTW, all I shoot is 230gr and have no problems.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My 2 cents:

1. Stick with 230gr. The debate of 185gr vs 230gr in a small self-defense pistol is silly. You didn't get a small concealable pistol in a huge caliber for it to be comfortable shooting at the range or to be able to shoot dimes at 20 yards.

2. Don't rack the XDS. Use the slide release.

Also, I can't tell from the pictures but has your XDS been fixed for the recall? Might want to check that out.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
My 2 cents:

1. Stick with 230gr. The debate of 185gr vs 230gr in a small self-defense pistol is silly. You didn't get a small concealable pistol in a huge caliber for it to be comfortable shooting at the range or to be able to shoot dimes at 20 yards.

Also, I can't tell from the pictures but has your XDS been fixed for the recall? Might want to check that out.
Agree, I zoomed in and while the pics are dark, it's hard to see if you have the grip safety roll pin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure if the safety recall fix has been applied. I asked the gun shop sales person if there were any recent recalls and he assured me there weren't but I'll double check--i'm out of state at the moment.

I did give the gun a thorough cleaning and i'll be damned if it has been cleaned ever! More signs of wear than I thought were hiding under all that caked on grime. I can't wait to get some rounds through it again. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I'm not sure if the safety recall fix has been applied. I asked the gun shop sales person if there were any recent recalls and he assured me there weren't but I'll double check--i'm out of state at the moment.

I did give the gun a thorough cleaning and i'll be damned if it has been cleaned ever! More signs of wear than I thought were hiding under all that caked on grime. I can't wait to get some rounds through it again. Thanks for the input guys.

There you go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
^ All set there. It has the grip safety pin installed. Thanks for the help!

I may get 180 gr as well but less of it --my wife will probably like it better at least--and try a couple charges in HP as well maybe, but first I'll see if a good cleaning was all it needed. I remember watching MAC on YouTube having his way with all kinds if ammo and since reviewing that during the cleaning I think I should just get out there with a few different types. Since he was shooting wadcutter reloads obviously it should handle anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Following up, I stuck with 230 gr and wasn't disapointed with how well the gun was feeding the rounds during the second session. < 100 rounds in and the trigger reset was crunchy and a misfire happened where the pin struck the outside of the primer.

Brass Metal Fashion accessory

The next 2 mags ran fine. I've seen this sort of thing before but I can't diagnose the problem right away. I haven't opened the pin housing to see if somehow there's grease on it--which somebody recommended. Also that trigger, I'm thinking of taking a diamond cloth to the part making conact with the frame but not the sear to help with the crunchiness unless it's just common for the XDs with this typically dirtier 45 round. Suggestions before the third go round?

About the first round feeding, I'll try the slide release next time. For the sake of consistency and experimentation I stuck with racking the slide manually with more authority and it seemed to do the trick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts