Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at some new ones the other day.

Noticed there are two notches on the frame rail, it came w 3 hicap (16 not 15) mags, a holster, and the 9mm barels are now one piece, not two pieces as before...

So I bought two of them! ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
The 2 notch rail has been out for a while...at least 5 months when i purchased mine...but i didn't get all the new accessories.

post some pictures of the barrel (don't forget to use your "macro" setting for that nice close up shot) so we can see what you are talking about.

thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The HS/XD 9mm bbls were made from two pieces joined together?

From Small Arms Review:

"Barrels are made of premium bar stock that come raw from the Austrian barrel manufacturer, Bohler. Bohler has years of experience of barrel making, and some of the finest European custom rifles are built with their barrels. Barrels come in raw 2 inch bars, already hammer forged and rifled, which are then machined into the final contour of the HS 2000 barrel. For ease of manufacture barrels are a two piece assembly, consisting of the barrel itself and a rear reinforced "head "of the barrel. After the production of both parts they are joined "in hot" and extra secured by a lower pin "just in case"."

Look at the older 9mm bbls and you can see the pin that joins the two pieces just above the bbl lug.

AFAIK, the 40/357 bbls have always been one piece.

No big deal. FN/BHP bbls have been two piece (w/o the pin) for yrs, as have many SA 1911 bls...

·
Registered
43 Posts
What's the big deal about the two notches in the rail? How is this an improvement? Does it allow for more accessories?? If so, which ones?

·
Registered
30 Posts
is there a way to tell that your buying one of the newer versions (updates) of the gun? Im looking to purchase one and was in my local shop tonight and the only thing that prevented me was the fact that i read this thread last night and saw that the new ones are coming with 16 rd clips instead of 15 and the barrells are now 1 piece. I looked at the XD's that my local shop had and they had 15 rd clips. Any info would be great... this is my first post.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Shecki, welcome to the board, you will read a lot of good info about the XD here from a lot of knowledgeable people. Have fun.

If you lived in Calif., you wouldn't have to worry about whether you are getting the latest one and if it's the 15 or 16 round mags. Our state govt is a country of its own and has decided in its infinite wisdom that we can't be trusted with mags that hold more than 10 rounds.

See, it takes all that worry over choices out of our hands. Isn't Big Brother so nice. :twisted: :cry:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah i just bought a XD40 Tactical and im wondering the same thing about knowing if its the most current model. Here in Canada we have restricted mags that are only allowed to hold 10. So I cannot tell by that.. sigh :cry:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
This is a standard package that SA has come out with. I bought the same deal on the first of last month. The holster is a XD-Gear belt slide holster of small configuration that looks like it was made for the SC model. I like the three new 16 round mags :D. I however prefered the old style barrels. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks for the warm welcomes guys... Yeh, i guess i'm more concerened about the barrel than the mags. Wondering if they may have changed it because it needed to be changed. I play alot of paintball and shoot a couple of guns that are well over 1K $$$ and usually when they make performance changes internally in things like that, it's because they needed to be made becuase the old setup had flaws. Just curious i guess. Didnt want to buy the older version of th gun while the newer one is out... you know what i mean. Thanks again guys for all the responses! ! !

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
To my knowledge, the only real change in the
past to the HS2K/XD was the extractor and it
for sure had problems. The maker made the
correct modification.

As far as the barrel goes, I do not ever recall
a problem with it that was ever posted to this
forum. Of course many owners have bought
aftermarket barrels thinking that they would
improve the accuracy, but never as a replacement
for a 'bad' barrel. There has never been a
recall of the barrels either.

I would think that the older two piece barrel will
last as long as the owner, thus - no worry.

Shecki, welcome!

Ed

·
Registered
401 Posts
PDX-XD said:
What's the big deal about the two notches in the rail? How is this an improvement? Does it allow for more accessories?? If so, which ones?
The new notch allows you to use the XML in addition to the M3X / Surefire / standard length lights.

Without the notch, you can still use the XML but it is too far forward on the rail for comfort.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts