Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying I am a very dedicated owner and operator of three XDM/XDS pistols. I sing XDM praises everywhere I go because Springfield products have earned their reputations through performance. My absolute favorite gun is the XDM 40. I have two, a 4.5" and the Competition 5.25"versions. I rescently got a hold of the new XDS 45 ACP, (while still hoping you come out with an XDS 40). Anyway here is my story....

I have resisted the urge to fire my new Springfield XDS 45 ACP until I had all the items I deemed I needed with it. I adjusted the back strap to the smaller one, got a Pachmayer rubber grip cover and just received the 7 round extended magazines offered by Springfield just this week. So I went to the range yesterday and set up for the my first shoot with it.
I must say overall I like the way it feels, aims and shoots, but I experienced some magazine feeding problems, i.e. some infamous "failure to feed" (FTF) events. My first rack back for first shot got the first bullet halfway up the feed ramp into the chamber and when I let go of the slide it obviously would not close. I thought it was my technique. I cleared the chamber with some trouble because now the next round was one it's way up and put pressure on the one cock-eyed and still there. I got it clear and put the magazine back in, it now had 5 rounds left, making sure to see it was seated I looked down at the seam where the extended magazine meets the bottom of the grip end and noticed a widening gap angle narrow In the front and widening to the back. I pushed on the mag to get it in tighter and the seems came together but it would "sag" back open when I took pressure off the mag. I do not remember this beig an issue when I dry tested them after receiving the shipment. In fact my remark was "how nice it fit and didn't look like an after-market add-on." I got it to rack & load so I shot it twice and then the slide stopped halfway back again after the second shot. It was another half loaded round stuck half way up the feed ramp to the chamber. I cleared it and shot the rest of the mag okay. I went to get a range technician to check my ammo, technique and check to see if he could tell me what I was doing wrong. He came in took a look at it, then took the next mag, loaded and shot the first round like nothing was wrong. I shrugged (typical like when you bring your car in for work, can't get it to fail for the mechanic syndrome) and concluded it was "me" again. So I went about shooting more. I got thru 2 more mags and in the middle of the second extended 7 rnds had another FTF issue similar to the first extended mag. So I loaded the 5 round mag that comes with the gun set and it had one similar FTF event between shots. I also now see the angled gap in the magazine end like the others. Maybe it's an issue that appears when the magazine is loaded? I love how it feels, aims and shoots; when it shoots. I am just disappointed that I am having FTF issues. What do you think? Have you heard of anything like this happening to others? I would like to hear what you have to say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought an XDs myself and am experiencing the same feed issues with the standard 5 rd magazines. I also noticed the magazine not fitting flush when loaded. And like you - asked for help at the range when it happened with the same results. Worked fine for them, only me having the problem.

Now that you've had yours a while, have the issues been resolved after more use? I'm not very happy with the performance at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im having similar issues with mine as well. dont have a cle what the problem is but looking to find out as well. If you find out what the issue is please let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am having the identicle FTF problem especially with the 7 round mag. The bullet gets caught half way up the ramp. The range manager and several staff who are military reservists had no answer other than my technique was perfect. Hope someone here has the solution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Except that for the XDs, for most people, it does.

From what I have seen, most people are reluctant to manhandle their XDs. SLAM the magazine in. RACK LIKE A MAN, or alternately, USE THE SLIDE RELEASE to chamber the first round.

Things will eventually loosen up some, but remember, a 45 this small has to have tight tolerances to work like it should. If it was loose, everyone would be complaining about other problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts

First Post and thoughts on XDS
I had my mind made up. i was going to purchase a Shield 40. I never even put the xds in my hand. I never even considered going smaller than my S&W M&P 40c and 9c. I was what people considered full to my ears in the cool aid of Smith and Wesson. Why wouldn't I be they make a damn good gun! So I decided I was fed up on waiting and looking for the shield. My local gun shop expert said "John you ever even consider the XDS?" No. I replied. "Let me show you this littls donkey!" So after giving it a once over I decided wow. This gun feels great in my hands. ("I'm lefty") The ergos seem to fit me. it's got the ambi release. It's got the safety features I'd want without making me take an extra step to shoot. The trigger feels good (not great but good). This XDS has now forced me to put it in the game against the Shield. I know some here are asking why would he need either of them in the first place he's got two compacts. "Damn't I'm a GUN WHORE!" So with that said I purchased this little bad ass xds.

First Impressions: Blazer 230gr 50 rounds 1 failure to fire and 1 failure to battery.... HUH????. Damn it hit sweet though straight on target and the recoil was definitely manageable. However I was concerned about the FTF, and FTB.

Day 2 Impressions: Winchester 230 range ammo. 100 rounds 3 failure to battery and 2 failure to fires..... HUH??? Damnit I'm selling this Mother F'r on Gun Broker tonight....

I then started to do research on this puppy. I started to understand the animal it is and how to tame it. I watched all the youtube video's and read all the posts. (I was however still definitely on the fence)

I went back to my shop and started a conversation back up with expert there. He told me exactly what I came to understand from my own reasearch.

""Now I'm sure this doesn't blanket cover everyone and there most definitely are issues with some guns but it may help you if you were in the same boat as me""

He said; "John make sure you rack this donkey hard, and keep a very strong grip when shooting, and see what happens".

So taking this advice and the advice I've picked up on youtube and here I came up with my own conclusion.

First: Prep of the Gun. I had to make sure it was clean. I only used oil to lube. i read somewhere that the grease is just enough to create too much friction.... "Never heard that before but I figured hell I'll go with the oil".

Second: I let the slide chamber the round after it was locked open. Pop the mag, and drop the slide. When I did it manually I made sure I racked her hard.

Third: I told myself to strengthen my grip just slightly and hold it through the shot strong.

Fourth: I fell in love with this gun again. It is once again a bad ass weapon.

Hopefully these pieces help you out a little. Remember your pushing a .45 caliber through a tiny frame. You gotta treat it like the bad ass gun it is. Remember of the thousands upon thousands of complaints that probably only makes up 1% of the owners of this gun.

I had zero failures through that 100 rounds yesterday. I'm going to give it another whirl today. The gun is amazingly acurate. The recoil is very manageable. It's a formidable weapon for CC. I have the 2 stock 5 rnders and 2 7 rnders.

Without getting into a caliber war. My thoughts have always been this. 95% of any situation where you will need to draw your gun and fire will be within 7 yards. With that said I want to take a shot that will stop the target that's being fired on. 2 from the hip and then one or two on target. 90% of all firing situations end in 3 shots or less on a single target from that distance. With that said I'll take 5 rnds and 1 chambered of .45 all day long! I also carry the 7rnd mag as my backup. That's 13 rounds of .45 from an accurate gun. Hopefully that get's the job done if called upon.

Food for thought: From 20 yards how many times was an officer able to draw their weapon, get on target and take out the assailant from 20 feet when the assailant was charging with a knife or to control the weapon out of 100 tries? The answer is 0. With that said practice 2 from the hip as soon as you clear holster. it could save your life in that situation.

Take care all.

XDS .45
M&P .40
M&P 9mm
Moss 500
DD AR15

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you SO much for posting this John! I have the EXACT same attitude about my XD-S. Mine has averaged 1 FTRB every 50 rounds, but never within the first 50. I'm convinced its me and have added the Talon grip in an effort to hang on better and see if it improves. I am also gonna try wrapping my strong hand thumb instead of the "stacked" thumb method I've been using (which I use with all of my larger handguns) to try and get a more substantial purchase on this fantastic firearm.

Thanks again brother!
Hoot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new. Field stripped and cleaned. Went to the range yesterday.

Had no problems when I handled it.

My adult daughter fired about 50 rounds through it then...

As the session went on my daughter had occational misfeed problems. Light primer strikes. Watching I could see the slide would fail to go all the way home--about 1/8 inch or so and when the hammer was released a misfire.

I change ammo and same problems. Three diffrent factory ammo's and several handloads too.

Changed shooters and no problems.

We repeated this several times. It would fail when she fired and never when I fired.

I took all misfired ammo, loaded them and I had no problems. All fired.

Conclusion? Well she is no lightweight but believe that this little cannon needs firm handling. With some practice I believe she'll be able to handle it without any problems.

It's still new and I will try to go back to the range and run several hundred rounds through it and see if I have any problems. I'll report back when I do.

It's good to have these forums to work through these issues.

Any thoughts? Think I'm on the right track?

Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am also gonna try wrapping my strong hand thumb instead of the "stacked" thumb method I've been using (which I use with all of my larger handguns) to try and get a more substantial purchase on this fantastic firearm.

Thanks again brother!
Hoot
I tried that last weekend, the slide took a chunk off my thumb!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tried that last weekend, the slide took a chunk off my thumb!
Yeah well, I tried wrapping my thumbs last session and it made no difference.

So I went to the range yesterday and put 40 rounds of Federal HST (20 standard pressure and 20 +p) with one hand only. I alternated hands each magazine. No issues.

Then I decided to go ahead and shoot another mag of each and after the 42nd rnd I had a FTRB! Using my strong hand and standard pressure. The following 8 rnds were fine.... The last five were left (off) handed w/+P's!!!

Next I fired 50 rounds of WWB with two hands and my standard thumbs forward grip and everything was fine.

So, at least now I'm down to a FTRB once every 100 rounds.

Hoot

·
Registered
273 Posts
As Mike noted, wrapped thumbs on this little beast are liable to get some skin removed. My sister tried that yesterday and got bit good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have put 250 rounds through the XDS 45 and have had no problems with the regular magazine, but the 7 round magazine FTF most of the time. I have used several type of ammo, and all do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
No failures out of nearly 350 rounds with my 5 round mag. Just bought a 7 round mag at my LGS...now I'm wondering how it will shoot :? I can't wait to get to the range and try it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Before today, never had an ftf with my xds, using 5 round mags, but i picked up 2 new 7 round mags. Went to the range and it got to the point where i put the 7 round mags up seemed like every other round would not fire, so i just used the 5 round mags, and not one ftf with the 5 rounders, not sure why this was a problem, same form and ammo, still put 150 rounds no problems with the 5 rounders. I still think the xds is great, but i will only carry with the 5's

·
Registered
560 Posts
500-700 rds fired so far. I fill 2 5rd mags and 2 7 rd mags when I shoot Im probbley the skinniest weakest guy on this board with no handgun experence and I have ZERO issues with ftf Ls.Wife had 1 ftrtb when she shot it.I just don't understand all the issues people are having.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts