Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Just received the email from SA that the XDs 4" in 45acp in now available. I have the 3.3" in 45. The question is why is there a need to have the same gun 0.7 inches longer? Is there an admittance that there is some deficiencies in the original design?

My wife does have some problems sometimes with her XDs, 45: failures to fire and failures to feed. She is 5' 4" in height, slender, but to strengthen herself, she does hit the weights pretty vigorously with me at the gym. A very competent gunsmilth recently told her that the problem may be because she is not gripping the gun securely enough to allow the XDs to cycle properly. If true, the problem is with her and not the gun.

In any event, she now wonders whether SA has lengthen the XDs to add weight to combat some of the recoil and reduce her kind of problems.

Any thoughts on any of these questions? Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The reason for a 4 ", it to aid in focus on the sites. The 3.3 " can be difficult to maintain the sites in focus... The extra .7 does help...

As for your failures to feed/fire with your Xds... I have at least 2000 rnds thru my Xds. Both factory ammo and reloads. To this day, I have had 3-5 "failure to fire", which were found to be "light strikes" due to dirt/oil and a different firing pin spring.. I would advise you to "fully clean" you fire arm. If your comfortable with removing the pins, I would pop the pins out to "completely disassemble" the fire arm. (Done this several times, you would be surprise as to how much dirt, debri is left after "normal cleaning". The feed ramp of the barrel , should be polished already, but polishing it this some flits polish will make sure...

·
Registered
230 Posts
A longer barrel will impart more velocity to the bullets. It's also heavier, so the recoil is lower. This also makes it more tiring to carry and harder to conceal.

But the main reason for the longer barrel is that Springfield thinks they can sell a bunch of them. Personally, I like the advantages of the shorter barrel. Others like the longer one, and many will get both.

From what you've written though, I'd guess neither is the right gun for your wife. There was a video going around a while back with a petite woman who knew how to shoot well and had good technique but had numerous feeding problems while the same gun ran 100% for her husband.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am about to replace xd-subcompact to xds 4.0 (45). But after reading threads about recoil spring issue and such, I am still deciding if I should buy it not. :(

From what I understand, SA did nothing about this? any long term users can update me?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What recoil spring issue?
This ^^.

Have I missed something? Mine's been flawless for the 2,000+ rounds I've put down range - not that 2k is a lot, mind you, but still.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Oh that? As I understand it, it's just a cosmetic thing that does not affect performance or reliability. It eventually settles down and stops getting any worse - but I could see why folks might get a bit concerned. Never heard of one breaking, bending or wearing out because of it though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes mine has wear on it. Actual got cut from the sharp edge during a tear down. Just file down the sharp edges and she's good to go...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really want them to come out with a grip without the extension that would allow a full grip and 7 rounds, yet allow the mag to fall free. Now, it gets hung up on my hand since it is so short. I spoke to a rep extensively on the phone and he assured me it is coming, along with a "fullsize" XDS what ever that would be 4.5 or 5.0 I am guessing. I think the Champion sized weapon is perfect. The slimness is a dream to carry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts