Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The orginization I work for is considering updating their guns. I would really like them to consider the XD as one of their choices to consider.
I would like to hear good points and bads points. The only bad points I really see on this board are finish problems and failures to feed. I would like to gather as much info as I could for presentation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 3 XDs, one of which is a bi-tone, and have never had any feed problems or any rust problems. They have good safety systems & have proven to be very reliable. My .02

·
Registered
33 Posts
i haven't had the rust problem and CERTAINLY NO feeding problems. I think one of the high points of this gun is NO feeding problems. Going on 1700 rounds and haven't had one yet. And only cleaned the gun ONE time.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
There are 2 XD's in our house, one a servive and one a subcompact...Not one fail to do anything in a several thousand rounds.

·
Registered
401 Posts
No Rust and 2 FTE. I still believe that the FTE was ammo related. I changed ammo and no problems since.
mulder 8)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bad Points:
Finish - not as good as a Glock
Failure to Extract - several people have experienced this with certain types of ammo
Good Points:
If you maintain your gun like you should and use ammo your XD likes none of the above are an issue. I've had five XDs and none of them have rusted. When I stopped using WWB ammo my guns have been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
885 Posts
No rust ever on my subby, and it's my daily carry weapon.

After several thousand rounds, I've never had a single malfunction. I use WWB almost exclusively.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Good Points
Ergonomically shaped grip & controls
Fully supported chamber with traditional rifling
Ambidextrous safety
Grip safety
Decent trigger
Loaded chamber indicator
Cocking indicator
Accessory rail
SIG sight dovetails
Easy fieldstripping

Bad points
Finish is prone to rust
Long trigger reset
Extractor is a poor design and hard to service
QC on XD40s could be improved
Roll pin firing pin retainer

Most of the bad points are minor and/or non-issues for me. The good points far outweigh the bads IMO.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I don't think feeding is much of an issue and the rust issue is addressable.

The only real bad point I have seen is that the grip safety has to be depressed to work the slide. Most of the time this is not an issue but after the sh!t has hit the fan this might is some obscure situation bite you in the butt.

mcb

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
As usual all the good points outweigh the bad ones.....since they're usually minor.
However the bad little things...are easily fixed.
You can always "upgrade" to a lighter trigger...or get some new coating so you don't ever have to worry about rust.....and still be saving money over other pistols.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Think of good and bad from a departmental view point as opposed to a personal view. Many decision makers could care less if is ergonomic, has good trigger feel or other personal preferences.

GOOD
inexpensive -book keepers love this

safe - 3 safeties and a takedown system that MAKES you check chamber before pulling the trigger. An agency that has a history of ADs might be drawn to this feature alone.

Functionally reliable (but not neccisarily moreso than what they may already be using)

BAD
More compicated due to more features -Armorers will require more training = more money

Finish - Many officers don't take care of the guns like someone who loves them, its simply a tool. if Springfield fixes the finish, then no problem. But if an entire dept has MAJOR holster wear and rust problems department wide, its not going to look good Big selling point with the Glock is you can use it, abuse it, and put it away wet and it will still be good, thanks to tennifer. Not as durable finish = more care required by officers who might not want to care for it in the first place. Refinishing = more money

Trigger - At first it was classified as single-action, later changed to "Ultra-Safe" - if a decision maker does reasearch on the gun and "single-action" comes up in the search, it could scare them away.

Other variables
Support program - Can Springfield compete with Glocks LE Marketing, support, trade-in programs?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Gary G23 said:
Bad Points:

If you maintain your gun like you should and use ammo your XD likes none of the above are an issue.
not true. i cleaned my xd40 after every shoot, even as little as 50 rounds, and i still had failure to feed issues with it. only after sending it to S/A and them doing some work to the feed ramp did it fix it 99.5%. so i agree that neglect has a lot to do with FTF's (can't comment on FTE's), it also has to do with the XD combined with the .40 caliber round. i don't want anyone thinking that as long as they keep their XD40 nice and clean, it won't have a misfeed, as it's simply not true, at least not with the .40.

dn
cincinnati
xd40service
xd9sc

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I haven't had a hitch w/ my two XD40's in thousands of rounds. My only gripe is when I put 9mm in a 40SW magazine. The rounds sometimes get stuck in the well, ie. the round will come out but the next round will be stuck in the same spot. I wonder if anyone else has this problem.
Oh yeah, the XD gives me a blister on my thumb knuckle. I figure this is because my skin is getting caught by the edge of the hole next to the grip safety. I rounded out the corners w/ my good old dremel and hopefully my problem will be fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts