Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my XDs 9mm about 2 weeks ago. I'm still only just getting the hang of shooting a pistol, let alone this tiny guy. Last trip to the range, I discovered that my eyes and hands are cross - dominant, so I started using my left eye to aim down my sights. To make the angle less awkward, I began shooting from an isosceles stance.

I haven't yet developed any habits as far as grip technique. I read about a grip called Fist Fire/Combat Grip (slightly different, iirc), in which you lock your support wrist in place with a significant amount of your support hand gripping the frame. Thumbs forward, pointing directly towards your target. I've seen it with the support hand's index finger on the trigger guard.

Rob Leatham used/uses it. Seems legit.
May try this at the range.

Any comments/advice/thoughts on the matter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What is your name?
Heath.

What is your quest?
I seek the recoil management.

What is the weight of an African Swallow?
Idk. Prolly less than my XDs.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Hey Heath, welcome to the forum.

Even though it has a cool name, it looks like a standard thumbs forward grip. I have been using this grip for years, and it has served me well.

Put in as much range time as you can, and take your time and focus on the fundamentals. Stance, breathing, grip, finger placement on trigger, and trigger control.

I haven't shot my XDs .45 in a month, so I'm taking it to the range today. I have several 5 round mags that I take. Instead of fully loading them, I only load 3 rounds. Then I shoot at different distances, usually 5, 6, 8, and 10 yards. I take my time and concentrate on my grip and trigger pull, keeping the gun perfectly steady until the trigger breaks. I can make 2 boxes of ammo last awhile!

Here is a link with a target that will help you diagnose any grip issues you may be having:
Powder River Precision XDS Trigger Spring Kit ? Tacti-Cool.com

Take care & good luck.

DJ

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips DJ. I'm dying to go to the range, but I'm working for practically the next week and a half straight. :/

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
welcome to the forum. the thumbs forward grip is one of the most popular grip techniques around, its pretty effective.

·
Banned
0 Posts
You always could just get two coconuts and bang them together.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carl, are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

I live in a temperate zone.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Screw thumbs forward.
Just grip it by the husk!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Screw thumbs forward.
Just grip it by the husk!

its not a question of where he grips it. its a simple question of weight ratios. a 5 oz bird cannot carry a 1lb coconut!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Red.... No! Blue!!! Aaaaaahh

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
0 Posts
Screw guns bring out the holy hand grenade.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I once shotgunned a BG's arms and legs to oblivion.
He then proceeded to attempt to bite me legs off.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You're mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.

You can train your eyes with practice. I am a righty but left eye dominant and have taught my right eye to focus.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's probably pinning for the fjords!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony
If I went 'round sayin' I was emperor 'cause some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Easy now, no one's repressing you. Now excuse me while I go practice summoning up fire without flint or tinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts