Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Recently i noticed if my XDS is slightly pushed back with a round chambered, the pistol is out of battery and useless. Has springfield addressed this flaw? is their a fix to this?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
How many rounds through the gun?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have heard of this problem, but in testing mine I can take my XDS ever so slightly out of batter, and it return to battery immediately.

Contact SA

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
When does it occur? During shooting? While racking the slide?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
BigZ - I think if any semi-auto pistol of similar design is slightly pushed back out of battery it will not function. That's why pushing the gun into any target is not a good idea. That said - I just had similar issues with the slide not returning everything to battery position after firing and cycling. I have two XDs's so I took the guide rod spring assembly from one and put it into the other . Problem solved! Called Springfield and they said yes- the spring assembly is good for around 2,500 rounds. Replacement on the (I bought an extra as well) $29 each. My problem pistol had around 3k rounds through it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
similar to this. I never had any other issues other than if pushed against something it wont return back to normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My XDs with 500+ rounds through it also does the same thing. I expect with some shooting, it will loosen up, but honestly it doesn't bother me as the gun has never come out of battery in normal use. I'd carry it with confidence. . . .

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Hey everyone,

Recently i noticed if my XDS is slightly pushed back with a round chambered, the pistol is out of battery and useless. Has springfield addressed this flaw? is their a fix to this?
this topic has been repeatedly discussed...hit the "search" bar...or look at the bottom of the page for "similar threads"

its a design issue that is basically never going to be "fixed" because of the design parameters of making an ultra-compact .45

this is also the very reason I sold mine...it did not remain in battery when I reholstered it 90% of the time and that didn't mesh with my carry style...

Reactions: Jimmycrackcorn

·
Registered
340 Posts
IF, you holster the XDs WITHOUT your thumb pushing the slide, depending on the holster, a tight holster may move the slide out of battery, BUT, the same holster will also bring it back into battery, when the pistol is drawn. Not a issue, at least with mine.
With many draw and shoot drills, mine has never failed to fire. It is super reliable and my EDC

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
IF, you holster the XDs WITHOUT your thumb pushing the slide, depending on the holster, a tight holster may move the slide out of battery, BUT, the same holster will also bring it back into battery, when the pistol is drawn. Not a issue, at least with mine.
With many draw and shoot drills, mine has never failed to fire. It is super reliable and my EDC
Mine did not return to battery unless the slide was smacked...this translated to several issues during an IDPA Course--which is my benchmark for a "Carry Ready" platform after Range Testing for function...no bueno for me; I don't discourage anyone from giving it a whirl (just as long as you aren't afraid to admit is isn't a good fit if it doesn't work out!!)

Your experience is good to hear--I was afraid more guys were sharing my experience but just dealing with it, but your intel makes complete sense!

·
Registered
14 Posts
As I'm new to this platform, does the XDS ever loosen up enough to overcome this? As I stated before, it's not really an issue for me with the holster that I use (Safariland GLS retention).

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
As I'm new to this platform, does the XDS ever loosen up enough to overcome this? As I stated before, it's not really an issue for me with the holster that I use (Safariland GLS retention).
bluntly--no it won't...it is one of the weaknesses of the design...a spring strong enough to fix this problem would not cycle typical ammo...there are certain give/take criteria in the design of an autoloading pistol and this is a consideration of the design...

Its not truthfully a "flaw" but more a "quirk" and as stated, it bothers some more than others...it was reason enough for me to sell mine but others have been able to adapt to it...

Reactions: rowemesp

·
Registered
14 Posts
this topic has been repeatedly discussed...hit the "search" bar...or look at the bottom of the page for "similar threads"

its a design issue that is basically never going to be "fixed" because of the design parameters of making an ultra-compact .45
On what do you base this assumption? No Flames, I would just like to hear the facts behind this, other than the fact that multiple persons have experienced this.

Bill

·
Registered
804 Posts
If you like the gun, I wouldn't worry too much. A very high percentage of owners find there is no issue. There are a small number that have a real problem. SA can resolve many of those. There are some that just can't be "fixed". I don't blame those owners from moving on. I really liked my XDS9 and had no issues. I liked it so much that I obtained a second XDS in 45. While it is still early yet; it has been 100% reliable thus far and has no "out of battery" issues. Hopefully soon it will join in the carry rotation. The XDS, especially in 45, is uncommon in it's size/weight/slimness & accuracy.

BTW, yes this issue has been discussed. The search function here is not the best so ask away.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The was related to a tight extractor and a very tight factory fit of slide to frame for me. I polished the extractor , dry fired with snap caps a few hundred times and problem solved. I could see why a stronger recoil spring would solve the issue as well. I think 90% or more XDS have this issue. I could now baby the slide and it will still chamber without problems.
SA new guns are very tight.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In my case it was an extractor problem. Two trips to the monkeys at Springfield couldn't get it right. Worked on it locally and got it running right, then traded it off for something more useful.

·
Registered
497 Posts
made a quick vid in response (i hope) please comment so i can understand the issue fully. thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey everyone,

Big: Every time you holster this weapon, you should have your thumb on the back of the slide and hand off the grip safety. This provides protection from AD if the trigger becomes tangled with clothing as it is inserted in holster(we see this happen at almost all IDPA matches where the Range Officer helps one or more participants keep clothing items from jumping in the holster with the pistol). If you follow this simple safety protocol, your issue will become a non issue. Another thing you could do is to use a small brush to paint a very thin coat of Lubriplate(or other high quality grease) on all friction points. That grease will not evaporate and makes the action slick so the slide can return to battery on it's own. If this problem is happening during actual firing, then you should contact SA customer service for a new recoil spring.

You have chosen wisely, this is one the best small carry guns on the market.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts