Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So when I first got my XDs, I had the occasional light strike, but those went away after breaking the gun in. Once in a while I got a failure to feed. When the failure to feed happened, the shell from the round fired always extracted just fine but the next round occasionally would get stuck at an angle and not completely load. This happened a handful of times in about 100 rounds.

When the recall happened, I shipped my gun out to Springfield Armory. I wrote them talking about my issues and they said they'd look at the problem. When I received my gun back, there was a note saying they adjusted the extractor.

I just got back from my first trip to the range since getting my XDs back. I have had the gun for a while but just have been super busy. Now I am having a different issue. Now when I shoot...the gun fails to extract the shell casing of fired rounds. It happens maybe just as frequent (if not more) as the previous issue.

My first 24 shots it happened twice. In my next 36...2 more times. I then shot 31 straight with no issues. My final 31 rounds had 3 with all 3 coming on the last magazine. In the 122 shots I took, this happened 7 times. It happened with both my 7 round and 5 round mags.

Looks like I am going to be shipping mine back to Springfield yet again. So frustrating. I don't even carry this gun anymore because I can't rely on it. So disappointing. If the problem isn't fixed the next time around...I am going to sell the gun and get something else. It sucks because I love the gun otherwise. I shoot it very accurately. I love shooting it...but it's supposed to be my conceal carry. If I can't rely on it...then its got to go.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
I'd give SA one more go at it since they shouldn't be at pucker-factor 10 with an active recall at the moment, and might be able to get it right this time. Send them the request and the pics, and I bet they make it right. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah...I cleaned the gun after getting it back from Springfield Armory when it was recalled. The gun has been sitting in my safe for a couple months as I have been super busy. I did lube it after I cleaned it, but I didn't think just sitting for a couple of months would be a big deal. When I took it out, I looked it over and it still looked good to go and definitely wasn't dry. Should I have reapplied some oil? This is the longest I have gone without going to the range...but I didn't think much of it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Part of me is wondering if it might just be me and how I am gripping the gun. I use the double thumbs forward grip but I can't be doing it that wrong...can I? A gun shouldn't be sooo restrictive that you have to have the perfect grip every time because in a life or death situation, you might not always have time to get the perfect stance and perfect grip. Anyway, I write Springfield Armory and e-mail and have yet to hear back. I may give them a call tomorrow if they don't get back to me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Part of me is wondering if it might just be me and how I am gripping the gun.

I don't know you, but what I've seen with this gun, it most likely is you. No insult intended, but several cases where people have videoed their problem show it isn't the gun. The one posted to the forum where a man and woman both shoot, but only she gets malfunctions is a good example. She has good technique and is a good shot, but the gun moves her hands (actually whole body) so much that it doesn't cycle properly. Does the issue occur when another good, experienced shooter fires the gun?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly I don't know because I am the only person who has shot the gun since it came back from Springfield Armory. The funny thing is I do buy that.

I know that when I first got my gun, my roommate and I went to the range. When he fired it...he had all kinds of light strikes and failures to feed. It happened to him multiple times per magazine. With me, it only happened here and there...less than a handful of times in 100 rounds (and only 1 light strike and 4 failures to feed). After the gun was broken in, I never had a light strike again, but that same roommate got them all the time when he would shoot my XDs.

Now this is a different issue. This is a failure to extract, which has me perplexed. Before it was a failure to feed. Maybe when I go to the range next time I can ask if one of their instructors will watch me shoot to see if I am doing something wrong.

I also might take my GoPro with me and set it up to shoot video of me and then see if you all notice something I am doing wrong. It's very possible...even if I do shoot well. I might have bad habits...I just do them well...lol.

·
Registered
230 Posts
...I might have bad habits...I just do them well...lol.
I can relate to this. I have a new gun, where my problem isn't malfunctions, but accuracy - I shoot worse than with any other of my guns. It's a gun (G42) acclaimed for it's ease of shooting by old ladies and small children, but I've put 1000 rounds through it and I'm still not shooting as well as I think I should be.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a new (1 week old) XDS that I've had to the range twice. Both times I've had 3-4 fte with steel case ammo. I have had zero issues with brass cased ammo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a new (1 week old) XDS that I've had to the range twice. Both times I've had 3-4 fte with steel case ammo. I have had zero issues with brass cased ammo.
The ammo I was using for the entire trip to the range was Federal Champion FMJ 230 grain. I got the ammo from Wal-Mart and it is in fact brass. I guess it's possible it's the ammo. I still have about 100 rounds left. Maybe next time I go to the range I will try something else. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok I have the EXACT same problem with my XDS 9
Matter of fact that's why Im posting here now...not a regular to the forum as Im mostly on ARFCOM but on my last 2 range outings which one was today and the other about a month ago this exact same things happened.

The picture in the first post I have 2 pics just like it
Went to the range today and had 3 failure to extracts out of 40 rounds fired, where I had to drop the magazine and take a screwdriver and pry the round out..
so is it the gun or the ammo
Ammo was Freedom Munitions 124gr JHP

I bought the gun last year but haven't sent back to springfield for the recall yet - think I will send it back this week to have it checked out

I had the slide finished in brown cerakote and trijicon XD night sights by James but damn with the jams and I consistently shoot 2 to 3" low
Its not my favorite gun... I have 2 G19 and can triple tap bulls eyes with both of them at 7 to 10 yards - love those guns.

I really want to like this gun

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I went back to the range today. This time here were my results.

5 round mag...2 failures to extract in the first 5 shots.

I then fired 30 times straight with no issues...again using two of my 5 round mags.

I then swapped to my 7 round mags.

The first two had no issues. Shot 14 shots in a row.

The 3rd mag had one failure to extract. I then reloaded that mag and it fired all 7 rounds.

I went back to my 5 round mags and fired 10 more shots...no issues.

I then did one more magazine and had 2 failures to extract out of the 5.

So all in all...78 rounds fired...5 failures to extract.

I paid special attention to my wrist making sure it was locked. I really think it's something with the gun. I am going back to the range today and going to try a different brand of ammo to see if that helps at all. I have cleaned the gun and oiled it up. I will give one more report when I get back and then I will decide if I need to ship the gun out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I usually clean my gun thoroughly after every range trip. So I doubt that's the issue. I am about to head to the range here shortly. I just cleaned my gun again and made sure to really get it cleaned in all the areas that might be part of the problem. I am going to try some new ammo today also to see if that could possibly be the issue but I doubt it. Honestly...if it has issues again today...there's really no other option other than the gun having something wrong.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from the range. This time the gun was well cleaned and oiled. I used a different brand of ammo. 2nd round in...failed to extract. Overall, the gun performed better...but still had 3 failures to eject in a little over 100 rounds. I am going to call Springfield on Monday and ship the gun back to them. I have now put a little over 300 rounds through the gun since coming back from the recall and it's got 15 failures to extract. That's 5% of the time the gun is not going bang...that's unacceptable.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would be nervous with three in a thousand malfunctions. If SA can't make it better, I'd say this particular gun is not for you, and you shouldn't waste anymore time and money on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to call them on Monday to find out my options. Honestly, I have lost faith in the gun and I don't carry it. I don't know what they will say. This will be the 2nd time I have to ship them the gun because of issues. First failures to feed...now failures to extract.

I really don't know what my options are. I have no idea what SA will say. I mean I am guessing they will try and fix it. I doubt they will offer to swap it out. Can I sell the gun knowing it has issues? I mean I guess I could sell it at a discount...but I really don't want to do that. I also already have a holster and other accessories for it. I guess I could package all those together.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If they can't adjust the extractor and get this gun running try to get them to swap it out. Too much money to sit in a safe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts