Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new XDs 4.0 in 9mm. With 200 rounds thru it roughly 10% will eject straight back into my face and a few have gone down inside my shirt (ouch). They don't go up and then down, but go straight back. This isn't conducive to pinpoint accuracy. Otherwise it works just fine. I don't limp wrist my PM9 so I believe it's something else. I've also cleaned it every 50 rounds and put on quite a bit of lube (I've read the forums). Does anyone have any thoughts on possible correction?

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Maybe you could post your serial number, substituting and X for the last two or three numbers.

That might help everyone to suggest a possible problem.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
have you clamped it down for a test fire?
ranges that have a gunsmith should also have a clamp, they might be willing to clamp it down and do a couple test shots to verify trajectory.
this will rule out any doubt that the limpness of your wrist is at play here.
other than that, i think it is probably going to come down the the ejector pin inside the action, or the extractor hook spring tension.
may want to take a pic of that ejector pin inside to post

·
Registered
414 Posts
With all ammo or just cheap stuff?
Might just need to loosen up a little more before the ejection pattern gets more consistent with lighter loads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
s/n S4906***
Neither of my ranges has a Ransom rest or other such device.
Low power reloads stovepipe.
full power reloads get about 10% blow straight back
Hornady Critical Defense gets about 10% blow straight back, 2 of 20.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My 3.3 in .45 bounced random brass off my cap and glasses initially. The last session - none. I don't know if it was the gun or me, as I have been adjusting my grip. Good luck, but in the meantime, you may want to wear a shirt with a tight neck. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just picked up my XDs 45 today and it shot my reloads and defense ammo to about the 2 o'clock position consistently...grouped the brass real nice for pickup.

I have one of my 1911's which will hit me between the eyes to remind me when I'm limp wristing it :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the consensus is that I'm limp wristing. Like my Grandfather said, "it ain't easy getting old". I think I'll go back to my Model 29 where, if you limp wrist it, the whole gun smacks you in the forehead, which makes you hang on tight.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
What does the SN of the XD have to do with brass coming back into his face?
It was a "fish" on my part. I'm not saying the OP is a troll, but the new members during the recall were trolls, by and large, and weren't able to provide serial numbers.

The OP says his starts with an S. Mine starts with XS.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
i suppose it would be worth it to document SN #s anyway, just in case this does turn into a run of issues with a specific line of guns.
where are you at JoeEng?
maybe if you live near one of us, you could meet at the range and try a different XD.
that will also prove whether its your gun, or your grip.
if you are anywhere near west palm, id be down to meet up and let you try mine to test.
you might also be able to rent a xd from a range, or ask a range officer who is familiar with XDs to try it out.
that might tell if its grip or gun.
did you get any info off that ejector?
is the ejector pin bent, or marred up?
is the extractor hook bent?

·
Registered
257 Posts
slow fire my xd ejects brass anywhere from 2:00-4:00, but rapid fire it goes 12:00 to 6:00, pain where youre at an indoor range and cant retrieve the brass.
Its in the grip.
also, wear a hat, if it ejects rearward, the brim of the hat often deflects the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts