Springfield XD Forum banner

XDs Appendix Carry & Grip Safety

13K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  TSiWRX 
#1 ·
Springfield XDs Appendix Carry & Grip Safety

There is so much about this gun that I like as a concealed carry weapon.
A note on appendix carry and holstering.

On the draw, keep your finger off the trigger until you’re on target.

While holstering, with a striker fired handgun with a grip safety.
Move your trigger finger off the trigger and your thumb over the back of the slide to prevent the slide from moving back as you holster.
This sometimes happens with tight holsters.
Follow this rule even if your gun fits perfect. It’s about the grip safety.

Triggers get caught in stuff with horrible results.
Once you move your thumb to the slide, the grip safety is disengaged and the trigger won’t depress if caught.

A holster that covers the trigger guard is a must for concealed carry.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have the XDs Mod 2 with the 3.3 inch barrel; had it since January once it was on the Mass Roster of approved handguns.
I ordered an AIWB also from Dara with the mid ride but have not received it as yet.
I have a Veridian Reactor R5 Gen 3 green laser installed on the XDs Mod 2 and had the Dara AIWB holster configured with the magnet that shuts off the laser when holstered.

#6 ·
I love my Dara holsters. OWB with double mag holder and an AIWB with single mag holster.
On the AIWB I opted for the high ride giving me a full grip on the gun.
Nice touch with the magnet.
I use Burris Fast Fire 3 Red Dot sights my XDs and Ruger MK111.

#7 ·

Move your trigger finger off the trigger and your thumb over the back of the slide to prevent the slide from moving back as you holster.

Once you move your thumb to the slide, the grip safety is disengaged and the trigger won’t depress if caught.

I

I agree and do all the things that you mention above, with the exception of the holster covering the trigger guard. I recently had a holster made that did cover the whole trigger guard completely. As a result I could not get a good grip on the pistol grip for a good draw. Had to return the holster and hope they can modify it.

#9 ·
I
I agree and do all the things that you mention above, with the exception of the holster covering the trigger guard. I recently had a holster made that did cover the whole trigger guard completely. As a result I could not get a good grip on the pistol grip for a good draw. Had to return the holster and hope they can modify it.
What does a fully covered trigger guard have to do with drawing the gun from the holster?

#19 ·
I Have a Dara AIWB Kydex holster with a single AIWB mag carrier. It was a package deal for about $80 with coupon.
Completely customizable. Ordered it with Tuckable belt clips so you can tuck your shirt in over it.
Ordered it with a high ride to allow a full grip access. The belt is about a half inch below the grip.
Gun accessory

#25 ·
I Have a Dara AIWB Kydex holster with a single AIWB mag carrier. It was a package deal for about $80 with coupon.
Completely customizable. Ordered it with Tuckable belt clips so you can tuck your shirt in over it.
Ordered it with a high ride to allow a full grip access. The belt is about a half inch below the grip.
View attachment 646665

Looks like a very nice holster and not that different from the Clinger holster I use with my XDS Mod 2. Lots of great holster options out there these days.

#26 ·
My index finger will not fit between the COMPLETLY leather covered trigger guard and the pistols grip enough to get 3 fingers on the grip. No, I do not have big or fat fingers. 0.9" diameter. In other words the leather comes too close to the pistol grip to get my finger between the the leather and the grip.
First - Not index finger, meant to say middle finger. My bad

#27 ·
I may just be dense but I still see no relevance to the covered trigger guard and drawing the pistol from the holster. Could you possibly post a picture of the gun in the holster?
I would post a picture but right now it is back with the holster maker. I guess I am not making the problem clear enough here. I will try again. The leather comes up so high on the trigger guard that my index finger will not fit between the leather and the pistol grip. I do not want to mention the holster maker yet because he is trying to modify the holster as we speak. If they solve the problem then I can show you the problem.

#30 ·
Holster came back from Wright Leather. Problem fixed - 1 day turn around. Great to do business with. There pattern was changed to the mod that they did for me.

QUESTION FOR ANYONE. How to post pictures on this forum?
Feels great when something works out.
When your in the reply or post window, press the UPLOAD A FILE next to the POST REPLY button.
You can select a JPEG from your desktop of file.

#35 ·
i could never carry appendix so high that i could get a full grip on draw. dont get how others carry that high. doesnt the slide stick into your sternum?
instead i mod my holsters so grip rides beltline. to draw the thumb dives between gun and body as the pinky and third finger wrap grip. two fingers straight outside pants. as you draw all fingers fall where they belong.
just as fast, just as secure. only requires training tweak and now its way more concealed and comfortable all day long.

#37 ·
i could never carry appendix so high that i could get a full grip on draw. dont get how others carry that high. doesnt the slide stick into your sternum?
Different folks - different preferences, different setups, different techniques. ;)

I've often mentioned Spencer Keepers in those threads in which we've exchanged posts:

^ I'm hoping that this TFB video I cited will start off at time-point 0:58 or similar, so if it doesn't, please fast-forward to that point.

Note that Keepers was an invited lecturer at the prestigious training event (Range Master).

Similarly, Greg Ellifritz is definitely not on the small side of the slide rule - but he is built significantly differently versus Keepers:

"The Keeper" Appendix Carry Holster

Both of these individuals demonstrate AIWB gear that places the grip fully above the belt-line, enabling a "full fighting grip" as soon as the web of their hand hits the beavertail of the weapon.

#36 ·
I have used pocket carry for XDS mostly and reserve the Appendix carry for my XD40 SC Mod 2 or S&W M&P40C or Officer's Model 1911. I did buy a suitable IWB holster for the XDS recently and I might try it, I generally carry a Mod 2 in 40.

#38 ·
watched the video, still wondering why the ride high preference...id rather more gun low than extend my holster and still have a gun poking my ribs. but thats fine to each their own. by the way, that fat dude in the video could probably put that gun anywhere and have it dissappear in the lard. dang.

#39 ·
I am usually most concerned with sitting in a car, I am not too concerned where th muzzle is pointed when the gun is holstered. I am concerned with the muzzle of the holster poking me while driving, usually not a problem is a 3.5" barrel or less, but you could have the whole shebang ride higher if needed for that reason. Different people are just more comfortable wih where the gun ends up positioned for comfort.

#40 ·
with a glock17 length shoved beltline deep puts the end of the holster riding between me junk and thigh. the small amount of belly i have rides over keeping it firmly in place and concealed in a straight up seated position. standing shirt drapes from chest totally hiding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.