Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that several people here don't recommend Wolf because it may be hard on extractors. I sent an email to Springfield to get their take on the matter.

Their response: "We do not recommend using steel cased ammunition in any of our firearms."

So there you have it. No more cheap Wolf ammo or else. Or else what? I don't know. They didn't say what would happen.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I've got close to 1,000 rounds of Wolf 9mm through my XD9 Tactical and about 350 rounds through my XD9 Service. My extractors can't tell the difference between steel and brass. Extractors are made of steel so......
steel on steel or steel on brass. Is there a difference in function? I don't think so.

I will be the first to post in big bold capital letters as soon as my extractor blows out. :p

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Clowns. Maybe they're afraid they'll have to send somebody a dreaded SPARE PART :shock: The simple thing to do would be this- if you're going to shoot steel-cased ammo, you simply order a couple of spare extractors and keep them on hand. Many of us old "1911 guys" did just that.

But of course the simple thing is no longer an option.

I have been shooting Wolf through various Berettas, Sigs, 1911's and XD's ever since it first hit these shores. It is cheap, dirty, and don't shoot bad at all. My better .45's have averaged about 5" at 50 yards with Wolf .45 ball; either of them would crowd 3" at that same distance, using their absolute match-accurate, individual favorite ammo. So there you have it- 2 inches at 50 yards, is what it costs you to use cheap ammo with throwaway casings. Most of us can't shoot well enough to tell the difference, and I sure can't unless I have perfect light, and am shooting off the sandbags.

I like Wolf real well, and will keep shooting it as long as it is cheap. So I won't be changing ammo, but I will probably be changing guns.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I used 1K rounds of wolf with one malfunction. Sure its a little dirtier but I can afford to clean it more than I could afford more expensive ammo.

However I'm kind of a tight budget now (buying a new house) so I've just been going to wally world and picking up a box of WWB. Kinda nice because now I'm collecting brass for possible future reloads. It's only about $0.50-$1 more per 50 when you factor in shipping and tax etc. If I had the cash to order 1K rounds again I'd probably go for wolf.

Anyone know if wally world will order you a case of ammo for a discount?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Anyone know if wally world will order you a case of ammo for a discount?
I dont know about the Wolf ammo but I inquired about case discounts for WWB and they said NOPE.

Some people like Wolf, some dont. Its ultimately your gun so you decide.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shooting steel cased rounds through your gun is just dumb, steel on steel is going to be harder then steel to brass. winchester has 100 round boxes 115gr fmj for 11.99 how much cheaper do you want?? wolf ammo is sh*t and not worth the 2 dollars you might save.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
jayrome_22 said:
Shooting steel cased rounds through your gun is just dumb, steel on steel is going to be harder then steel to brass. winchester has 100 round boxes 115gr fmj for 11.99 how much cheaper do you want?? wolf ammo is sh*t and not worth the 2 dollars you might save.
:roll:

I love wolf ammo it is dirty and makes a mess.

It smells funny when you shoot it too!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Could be if you keep a round in the chamber it may rust solid in there.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
manic mechanic said:
Could be if you keep a round in the chamber it may rust solid in there.
Im not a fan of Wolf ammo but I doubt that this would happen unless you exposed it to massive amounts of salt water or something. I do know that they coat the cases with a laquer of some type. On the same note, brass can corrode too, just not by rusting.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I don't know when the last time you guys tried wolf ammo but I've never had red crap all over my pistol. I shoot a couple hundred rounds of wolf in one sitting. Other than the distinct smell, and the feeling that your cheap cuz you the only one using non brass ammo; its fine. I never had red stuff, or the polymer melting on me while its in the chamber..I sometimes wonder if people who diss on Wolf ammo and I are even shooting the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I have never smelled any odor when shooting Wolf.

I do get a few specks of red on my bolt face, but it is easily cleaned off with a brush.

Soot, ash, smoke, carbon, dirt, grit, dust?.........seriously, I find Wolf to be as dirty as any other ammo on the market.

Isn't Wolf type ammo used by the Russian military in both rifle and pistol calibers? Seems to me current production ammo from Russia is steel cased. True?

Which is the most accurate? WWB, Blazer or Wolf?
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu6.htm :shock:

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
invssgt said:
Clowns. Maybe they're afraid they'll have to send somebody a dreaded SPARE PART :shock: The simple thing to do would be this- if you're going to shoot steel-cased ammo, you simply order a couple of spare extractors and keep them on hand. Many of us old "1911 guys" did just that.

<snip>
I think that's the issue. Since they're not sending out parts to replace them yourself it costs them more to do "warranty" work and as a result they're trying to cut the issue out by telling you no steel ammo.

I still have close to a case of wolf for my 9mm and I'm not going to throw it out. I haven't had any problems with it yet.

Krackels

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Yup 1K rounds of the newer wolf stuff. I don't have the problem with the red stuff. I was just adding it to the list of things people can knock it for. I've never found the smell bad though. what do you guys sniff the load smoke coming out of your gun? yikes. No thanks

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
what do you guys sniff the load smoke coming out of your gun? yikes. No thanks
On indoor ranges it can be quite noticeable...

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
My indoor range doesn't allow Wolf ammo and when I go to the outdoor one, I shoot Wolf only in my SKS. 1000 rounds for $85 at the gun show. Never had a problem with it and I really don't mind cleaning my guns...well, yes I do to be truthful, but I do clean them because they need to be. I just don't whistle the 7 Dwarfs song, "It's off to work we go."

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
The ventilation system at my shooting range blows so much that I don't have a chance to percieve any offensive odors. Often times the fans are blowing right on the targets and they wave back and forth in the breeze. I prefer the freedom of outdoor shooting anyways. That is where we are meant to shoot. Except when it's raining or windy or too hot or too cold or...... :shock:

I don't mind doing the gun cleaning thing and in fact it's a good feeling when you know your firearms are well taken care of. If I don't clean something soon after shooting it, I get that sickening feeling that a big glob of rust and corrosion is building up in the quiet recesses of my gun and will soon damage it. I know this isn't really 100% true, but then again my guns won't sit around dirty for too long because of it. :wink:

·
Registered
31 Posts
invssgt said:

i think springfield knows a little more about guns than the average joe, considering uhh uhhh they produce them. Also, springfield is one of the best companys , when it comes to warranty and replacement parts. I friend of mine started reloading and somehow buldged his barrel with one of his reloads in his 1911, springfield sent him a new barrel no questions asked. Having extra extractors on hand so you can shoot steel is retarted. If shooting steel cases through your gun was a good idea the U.S. Army would use it because they are always conscerned with using the cheapest yet reliable ammunition possible. They know it reduces gun life or else they would be useing it...... becuase it is cheap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts