Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded 125 gr lrn bullets with 3.7 TG Out of my XDs 4.0 shot terrible?
About 4 " group at 10 yds. XDs 9 3.3 about 1/2 of that. Any ideas?
I have been reloading for over 30 yrs, I know they are loaded correctly .Thank you for any ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I'm not a reloader, but you may want to post this in the ammo category under 'hand loaded'. There are several experts there that will be able to help. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Assuming the 4.0 is otherwise accurate with factory loads, it could just be that different firearms like different loads. With the different barrel it is possible the new one has a slightly larger bore than the older one and needs slightly larger bullets - or is slightly smaller and isn't developing the same velocity, etc. Any of these can affect accuracy.

Regardless of the cause you may be able to adjust the powder charge to compensate. Try some slightly hotter loads, working up toward max charge for that powder/bullet and see if that helps. If not, work downward and see how it goes.

If neither approach works, you may need to find a different bullet - are you casting your own or buying? Either way I'd slug the bore and see if it isn't just a matter of needing them sized a bit differently.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I bought the LRN and they shoot very well out of my Shields.
I have over 3000 of them. I started to bump up the loads when my Dillon
Sq Deal took a dump. I got 10 loaded. Shoots fine with 115 FMY/125 HPs.
I have some 125 FMJ, 147 FMJ ready for next range date. Dillon was very helpful, and are sending a few new parts free, if this does not fix it, they said send the press in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts