Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which and why would you choose one of these for everyday carry. They are single stack 9mm pistols and both are very thin. I dont care about others , I am talking about these two. I have owned both in the past and both served well. I just want to get a feel for what other owners think of them and which is the most reliable for everyday carry , pocket lint and dust , ability to digest all kinds of ammo , and so on . Holsters are not a concern since I have some for both. Thanks for any input . It is very much appreciated. NOTE : I have 2 of the XDS 45's and they run great. I know that I am on an XD forum but please make your decision true and neutral . I cant put this on a certain Glock forum because of the immaturity level of most of the participants. Thanks very much !

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whichever is on sale.
You know what ? With my LEO discount on the Glock and the sale on the XDS both are almost the same price. Just $10 difference.

·
Administrator
22,514 Posts
You know what ? With my LEO discount on the Glock and the sale on the XDS both are almost the same price. Just $10 difference.
Flip a coin?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Well since you have experience with both and I don't, I can only examine the spec's and go by that. I do own two G42's to help me respond. The 43 has a small edge in barrel length, 3.4 to 3.3, but it translates in pocket carry and I could see part of the backstrap of the 43 when in my pocket (Why I didn't buy it). The XDS and 42 both hide. Magazine capacity standard issue goes to XDS with 7 and 9, but everyone knows there are after market items for Glock's that mitigate the standard 6 only in the 43. Pocket lint, I think the 43 produces less compared to either XDS (Mod 1 or Mod 2) as the XDS have more surface area and the mod 1 a Cheese grater. That said I carried a Mod 1 45 for at least two years, no problems.

I went away from shooting 45s after I broke my right wrist (Right-handed) and somehow started carrying 40. I do have a XDS9 Mod 1 with a laser for the wife. I did carry a LC9s Pro for awhile between 45s and 40s, but not a nine fan. I carry a XDS40 these days.

Either choice I'd put on Talon Pro grip tape for pocket carry as it is just as secure feeling as the sandpaper ones and much less abrasive. Easier to fish out of a pocket.

XDS for the win!

Reactions: Tercel89 and 835mag

·
Registered
623 Posts
Had the XD-s 3.3" .45 ACP - could never shoot it well., Couldn't stand the low ammo count...Can't speak for the XD-S 9mm...

My wife liked the size of the Glock 43...couldn't stand shooting it, nor did either of us shoot it well.

She kept with my XD 4" Service 9mm - she shoots very well with that.

I just upgraded to the XD-M Elite Compact 3.8" 9mm with a red dot...I like the 13 rd mag and carry the 19 as a spare...

I wanted something a little "smaller", so I got an 1911 EMP 4" 9mm - very nice...the handle is a little long for CC, but...my everyday gun is the Elite compact. I will never go back to the micro's or whatever class the XDs is in...

Oh, sold both the XDs and the G43! :)

YMMV

Peace,
Michael J.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The XDs has a horrible cheese grater grip texture, the fiber optic sight tube can fall out while being carried, and the unneeded grip safety can cause issues, for a cop you probably can't upgrade the trigger but the XDs stock trigger is worse.

If they would have stippled the grip on the XDs that would be a plus, but they didn't.

There are better pocket guns, but according to the OP choices I'd go with the Glock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I generally like most stuff Springfield but as much as I wanted to like the XDs I just couldn't. I loved the feel in hand but the trigger break is too far back and the shape of the grip safety is unnecessary and makes shooting it regularly not as enjoyable. I'm not a Glock guy but the G43 gets my vote in this mix. Much easier to shoot accurately without much effort.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Sports equipment

Well I went with the XDS. I got it with a 10% first responders discount and another $30 off discount which equaled $359 for the gun ! I'm very happy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the XDs 3.3 in .40 and like it very much. It's very reliable, recoil is easy to manage, and I have it in a Muddy River Tactical leather holster. The current trend away from .40 worked in my favor. I got it used with the case, mags and all accessories for $299.
I like the 43x or the 48 more then the model 43. There's no denying though, parts, mags, customizing options, Glock armorers on every street corner, you get alot of support for a Glock.

·
Registered
309 Posts
View attachment 842704

Well I went with the XDS. I got it with a 10% first responders discount and another $30 off discount which equaled $359 for the gun ! I'm very happy!
Great find and great price. Personally, I would have gone with the Mod 2 version as I don't care for the hand grenade grips on Mod 1. But, it will serve you well!

Joe

·
Registered
552 Posts
Those tank tread grips can be tamed with Talon grips or Traction grips. I have them on mine, amd they make a world of difference.

Reactions: JMag

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 43 and 48 are probably the only two Glocks I enjoy shooting, but I carry the xds 3.3 in 40 for one reason - the grip safety. I know that I have to have a solid grip on the gun or it's not going to fire. I don't have to worry about someone picking it up wrong with their finger on the trigger and accidentally setting it off when I'm working at the range teaching people.

I used cloth hockey stick tape to tame the cheese grater grip because I regularly shoot 180gr through it and the mod1 grip would start taking skin off my hand after about 50 rounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like my Glocks … but to me personally, XD pistols seem , to be better built.. .. I owned a XDS in 9mm and 45 .. both went in trades .. not because I didn’t like them .. it just happened that was the pistols that the other party wanted .. I never replaced them .. my Glock 27 filled their roles … now the Taurus GX

·
Registered
2 Posts
The op was in 2004.. almost 20 years ago. For folks in 2022.. im a glock guy.. but my carry pistol is an xds mod 2 40. And the wifes is the same but the osp in 9mm... The reason why??? The xds has a partial feed ramp machined into the locking block that adds length to the feed ramp , and helps prevent nose dive so common in single stack 9mm pistols because of the tapered case . Glock doesnt make a single stack in 40 or 45. Just 9mm and 380.. 380 isnt enough oomph. And the glock dont have the feature i mentioned. This nose dive issue dont matter with the straight wall cases..

·
Registered
628 Posts
The op was in 2004.. almost 20 years ago. For folks in 2022.. im a glock guy.. but my carry pistol is an xds mod 2 40. And the wifes is the same but the osp in 9mm... The reason why??? The xds has a partial feed ramp machined into the locking block that adds length to the feed ramp , and helps prevent nose dive so common in single stack 9mm pistols because of the tapered case . Glock doesnt make a single stack in 40 or 45. Just 9mm and 380.. 380 isnt enough oomph. And the glock dont have the feature i mentioned. This nose dive issue dont matter with the straight wall cases..
umm this thread was started June 30 2021. There was no XDs or Glock 43 in 2004 lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gotta agree that 380 is just not enough. Tried G42 and G43x, bought latter. Perfect carry pistol for me, actually got to try it out at my local gun store shooting range and it was feeling great. Wanna get myself an xd next , can u recommend a good model aside from one you've already mentioned?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts